Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
Gadget_girl
Connoisseur
Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: Aura HD Espresso, Sony PRS-650
Books for Teen Boys who like Spy / Secret Agents & gadgets

Looking for suggestions for my son. He started reading secret agent / spy books in elementary with the Zac Power series by H. I. Larry. He's finished the Alex Rider series. He's read all the 39 clues books as well. Any recommendations along those lines for a young fellow with those interests? As more of a fantasy fan, I'm not real familiar with that Genre.
Gadget_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget_girl View Post
Looking for suggestions for my son. He started reading secret agent / spy books in elementary with the Zac Power series by H. I. Larry. He's finished the Alex Rider series. He's read all the 39 clues books as well. Any recommendations along those lines for a young fellow with those interests? As more of a fantasy fan, I'm not real familiar with that Genre.
i know its no exactly spy but all of clive cusslers adventure thriller books (think indiana jones) are pretty good reading and dont have sex or vulgar language in them.

the orgegon files is specificly more espionage & gadgety.
he also has a childrens series The adventures of Vin Fiz.

most of the spy thriller authors put a lil too much violence & vulgarity in thier books and for nearly 40 years clive cussler has continued to write family friendly books (within reason)
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
adv_dp_fan
Zealot
adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!

Device: Sony 505, iPad 1 & 3, Galaxy Note 8.1
Seems ever Cussler book I've read has had at least one sex scene in it. Though so far I have only read some of the Dirk Pitt and Isaac Bell series so maybe he is different in others.

As a spy fan growing up I read a lot, though I was reading Fleming by the 6th grade. I would recommend the Christopher Cool/TEEN Agent series by Jack Lancer except it is long out of print and there are no ebooks of course. I'm making my own from my copies. You can find copies online though.

By the time I was really into spies as a kid I was reading the Man from UNCLE books (again out of print but available online), I Spy, and a bunch of others based around 60s Spy shows.

There are some James Bond Jr books out there as well, Amazon suggests them to me now and then since I told it I own all the Bond books. You could try checking out those maybe.

Sorry, most of my "kid spy" material was long, long ago so not to current.

Hope that helps some.
adv_dp_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Are the Rick Riordan series too fantasy/Sci-Fi for him?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Also ... Encyclopedia Brown? More detective than spy ....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
The Extraordinary Adventures of Alfred Kropp, by Rick Yancey. Silly covers (at least the paperback editions), but Yancey is an excellent YA author.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Well Tom Clancy almost defines the "Techno Thriller" genre and the writing is not too complex so try some early Tom Clancy on him.

Go to the bookstore and buy the hard-back copy of "Cryoburn" by Lois McMaster Bujold. It contains a CD of most of her other books. Give him the Miles Vorkosigin books.

Try Isaac Asimov "I Robot" - robots are created with the 3 laws of robotics - and the stories show how despite these hard rules, robots can cause problems.

Vince Flynn has a bunch of military thriller books he may like about a guy (Mitch Rapp) who becomes a leading terrorist-hunter. Not exactly PC but not too bloody. For example: A small terror group trains some people to smuggle a bomb into Washington DC "Memorial Day". The book bounces between the terrorists and the hunt for them.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
straygator
Connoisseur
straygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle
It may be a bit old-school, but would he like any of the old Sherlock Holmes stories? Plenty of Victorian-era gadgets like Professor Moriarty's devilish air rifle, or Tonga's blow gun in The Sign of Four.
straygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
He might enjoy the many Man From UNCLE paperbacks from the 60s. Not great literature, but fun, and nothing X rated.

Amazon has a number of used paperbacks at reasonable prices:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...man+from+uncle
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #10
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Charlie Higson has a young James Bond series starting with Silverfin. I think there are 3 books in the series so far.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078...ant;%22%20/%3E

Last edited by BenG; 05-24-2011 at 12:39 AM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #11
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Also heartily recommend the Charlie Higson's Young James Bond series --- listened to them on long trips w/ the kids and everyone enjoyed them, I esp. since they're very true to Ian Fleming's novels (but w/o the racism / sexism --- they were definitely a product of their times which would probably be okay for more mature teenagers). U.S. versions are slightly bowdlerized as well.

If the kid likes science fiction they may enjoy Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat stories --- one or two of which are in public domain (The Missing Battleship I believe).

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #12
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
You might like to pass on Robert Muchamore's "Cherub" series to him. I've only listened to a few on audiobook because they were read by one of my favourite actors, but the stories seemed to hold up pretty well.

They're about teens being recruited for spy missions, but they seem to be geared a bit more towards older mid-teens with slightly more serious plotlines (and maybe a bit more violence).

There's a nice official website here with a few free short stories that you can try out and determine if they're at an appropriate reading level for your son.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #13
Gadget_girl
Connoisseur
Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: Aura HD Espresso, Sony PRS-650
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll run some of those by him. He's reading some of the other Anthony Horowitz ones, and his sister recommended the Skullduggery Pleasant series.
Gadget_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #14
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
The terror begins with ruthless precision when the clock strikes noon. Gunfire rings out in major cities along the East Coast. Innocent Ammericans fall, each from a direct kill shot. After witnessing a hit in Baltimore, Mack Bolan dives into battle against an unknown but powerful enemy. Acceoss the country, the coordinated strikes continue, but law enforcement is unable to stop the deadly sniper attacks. Bolan goes hard, shouldering the burden of dismatling a plot to turn the US into a police state. At the heart of the conspiracy, sworn enemies have joined for a unified goal: the nuclear devistation of the Middle East. As blood spills and hte cuntry heads toward martial law, Bolan sites his crosshairs on ruthless radicals and their nightmare agenda. http://www.amazon.com/Kill-Shot-Supe...7459649&sr=1-1

Kill Shot by Darwin Holstrom
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
secret agents, spies