Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 01:13 AM   #1
owlx
owlx began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Just bought a Nook; Already having problems

I purchased a Nook a few days ago, and while I really like it, I'm having a pretty annoying problem:

Whenever I download an eBook, and select "select new B&N content," I get a network unavailable error. I can access the shop, the browser, the daily and my documents without any problems on 3G and WiFi. I spent a half hour on the phone with customer service troubleshooting it, and they couldn't figure it out.

I went ahead and exchanged it for another one and am having the same problem. I went to my local Barnes & Noble and had the same problem there. They suggested I sideload for the time being and just go under the assumption that my network might be down.

I updated my firmware to 1.4 and everything and for the time being will sideload everything to my documents. While this works, I'd really appreciate not having that extra step.

I was wondering if anyone was having this same problem and what they did to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
owlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
where were you doing this home or out and about?. either way it sounds like a wi fi step is missing.

for example if you connect to a wi fi outside of your home, it will say connected but, in most cases you have to launch their browser to the "I agree' or some other similiar sign in portion. after you do that then you should be ok.

I got confused the first few times when I was out at a place where I need to use a sign in.
It said connected to such and such wi fi and I tried downloading a couple of books only to get that same error message, then it dawned upon me to check that out. and that is what it was.

If this is your home make sure your password and all that is set up and that it has not forgotten your wi fi site. After that it should be a seamless connection.

I hope this helps
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
Passante
Passante began at the beginning.

" I went to my local Barnes & Noble and had the same problem there. They suggested I sideload for the time being and just go under the assumption that my network might be down."

But if you also have the problem in the B&N store when the device is accessing their network, the assumption that the problem is because your own network is down is invalid. I'd go back to B&N and insist that they troubleshoot with you in the store.
Passante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
owlx
owlx began at the beginning.

The only thing I could think of is the SIM card that gets the 3G signal is busted but I should still be able to get the books off of wifi. It's frustrating because I can do, literally, EVERYTHING else on my Nook except check for B&N Content.
owlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlx View Post
I purchased a Nook a few days ago, and while I really like it, I'm having a pretty annoying problem:

Whenever I download an eBook, and select "select new B&N content," I get a network unavailable error. I can access the shop, the browser, the daily and my documents without any problems on 3G and WiFi. I spent a half hour on the phone with customer service troubleshooting it, and they couldn't figure it out.

I went ahead and exchanged it for another one and am having the same problem. I went to my local Barnes & Noble and had the same problem there. They suggested I sideload for the time being and just go under the assumption that my network might be down.

I updated my firmware to 1.4 and everything and for the time being will sideload everything to my documents. While this works, I'd really appreciate not having that extra step.

I was wondering if anyone was having this same problem and what they did to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Unfortunately this error message is very misleading. This message usually means that there is something wrong with your B&N account, because of which your e-books cannot be downloaded.
Check the following things:
- Is your credit card valid and your credit card information correct?
- Have you chosen a default credit card (even if you have only one credit card registered it is not automatically the default credit card)?
- Are your shipping and billing addresses correct?

If you are sure that all your information is correct you could try to unregister your Nook, and registering it again.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert