Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-06-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
Akumag2
Enthusiast
Akumag2 began at the beginning.

[Old Thread] doc converting help

Normally I use calibre to convert pdf to lrf but I have a few doc files i need to convert for my 500 & the wife's 505.

I figured out that it wont convert to lrf directly from doc so I saved the files as html first, changed all the chapters to H1 in MS Word, but after converting the lrf seems to have only 3 sentences per page with massive gaps in-between, the original doc/html does not have this issue.

Can anyone offer some advice, I've never used HTML tags before and Im kinda at my wits end here.
Akumag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:43 AM   #2
alvico
Addict
alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumag2 View Post
Normally I use calibre to convert pdf to lrf but I have a few doc files i need to convert for my 500 & the wife's 505.

I figured out that it wont convert to lrf directly from doc so I saved the files as html first, changed all the chapters to H1 in MS Word, but after converting the lrf seems to have only 3 sentences per page with massive gaps in-between, the original doc/html does not have this issue.

Can anyone offer some advice, I've never used HTML tags before and Im kinda at my wits end here.
I've discovered it's much simpler to convert to RTF (use Save As command in Word) then import into Calibre. No HTML hassles. Hope this helps.
alvico is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 02:01 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Make sure you save your doc as html filtered.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:59 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvico View Post
I've discovered it's much simpler to convert to RTF (use Save As command in Word) then import into Calibre. No HTML hassles. Hope this helps.
Interesting - my experience is the opposite. I sometimes find that a document saved as RTF will fail to convert while those saved as "Web Page (filtered)" always work.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
Akumag2
Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I'll try the RTF & HTML filtered and see if those help, all I want is for the formatting to look right (I hate the epub format and their odd page numberings), a cover and for each chapter to start on a new page, seems so much easier with a pdf doc, just the pdfs dont keeps the fonts when converted to rtf
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
Akumag2
Enthusiast

RTF is the bomb, thanks a lot, all I had to do was highlight the chapter and choose heading 1 then save the .doc to .rtf.
When converting to .LRF is works perfectly, and on both the 500 & 505, epub and .doc as so different on both its not funny.

Just wanted to say thanks for the tip we're both really happy now
Old 02-07-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
alvico
Addict
alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
RTF is the bomb, thanks a lot, all I had to do was highlight the chapter and choose heading 1 then save the .doc to .rtf.
When converting to .LRF is works perfectly, and on both the 500 & 505, epub and .doc as so different on both its not funny.

Just wanted to say thanks for the tip we're both really happy now
You're welcome. I'm pleased it worked for you.
alvico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:37 AM   #8
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
You can also use the BookCreator V3 tool that is somewhere on this site, it will convert a word document into lrf and lots of other formats too. I love it as I can get my book looking perfect for my 505 and then I can convert it to lrf or epub or both
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:37 PM   #9
Akumag2
Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip I'll look for this book creator, does it work just as well for the 500? personally I want books to look better for that than the 505 as I own the 500 and the wife owns the 505 which seems to display things better anyway!
Old 02-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Well its up to you how they look. Basically you need to import your word file (.doc) into BookCreator. All BookCreator is is a very cleaver word template. So you get how you want the look of your book setup and then use the template to export it to epub, lrf etc.

One tip I can give is if your doing it for a 505 then set your page margins to 0 for everything and your paper size to custom and then to Width: 9.15cm and Height: 12.35cm this will pretty much replicate the size of ur 505 screen and then you can faf with how you want the pages to work. Oh and use the BookCreator page break insert button as I don't think it works when you do a word page break. Give me a shout if you have problems and I'll help all i can.
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #11
Cheryle
Cheryle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
thanks for all the info
Cheryle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #12
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Moderator Notice
This thread is over a year old. The information in it is likely to be outdated. Please don't resurrect old threads, instead create a new one if there is no recent discussion on the topic.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryle View Post
thanks for all the info
You're Welcome.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote