Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #31
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Reports and complaints about regression bugs are spread all over their forum. Last time I checked in the threads regarding Tapatalk 4 beta.
I was looking for problems for forum owners - I thought that must be what you were referring to. The beta was a mess for a while, I was using the Amazon free version because there were problems, but that's what a beta is for.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #32
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I was looking for problems for forum owners - I thought that must be what you were referring to. The beta was a mess for a while, I was using the Amazon free version because there were problems, but that's what a beta is for.
Uhm, most of the feedback you see there regarding the beta is from forum owners. Remember forum owners have to deal not only with the client software but also the server software. I don't disagree that a beta is most likely to have bugs and that's what a beta is for, but some of these bugs were just completely unnecessary, while others were fixed only to introduce new bugs. And then, suddenly, they released it as non-beta, even though a big number of bug reports continues to flow in.

For example, just a couple of days ago a security issue was reported related to post/quote notification. Basically, a user quoted was notified about the quote, even if he did not have the rights to see the post in which he was quoted in (think of a section dedicated to site moderators). These are fundamental issues that are not supposed to happen. In the past, we had to disable push notification, because they caused massive slow downs for any of our members browsing Mobileread (with or without Tapatalk). The culprit, we discovered, was their slow push server. We reported the issue, and it was slowly being looked at. We even offered a solution that would make sure that no slow downs could occur at all, but they deemed that solution too complicated to support. Another example: We discovered that all forum passwords were stored in plaintext (at least on Android devices), even though there is no need for that (a hash would be sufficient). We reported the issue, and they came back to us saying that they'd be working on improving the security. That was in April 2012. As of today they haven't changed anything in this regard.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 08-14-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #33
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Why would you not subscribe to the forums? In the older version of Tapatalk I would choose MR, then favorites and then choose between forums and topics. I have it set up to go favorites as the default view.

In the new version, you don't have a default view, but you can choose participated or subscribed. It brought me to unread first, which I agree is a useless mess. On my phone, I tapped on unread at the top and then it showed the menu on the side.
Because I don't want them emailed to me?

And I prune the subscribed threads fairly often, but they are still a mess - so they are all jumbled at the bottom of the list of the very few forums I want to read.

Having a way to set entire forums as favorites would fix it, but it seems they are using the Amazon method of removing any features that are useful/needed.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #34
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Yes, but as near as I can tell, the only way to limit the view to the forums you are interested in is to subscribe to them and look at your subscribed threads (forums get listed at the top).

Otherwise, you get an unfiltered mess of every post on the entire site, which I found to be useless.
If you exclude forums you are are not interested in under Options in your User CP (on the main site), then you will get only threads from forums you want to read in the latest posts section on Tapatalk.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #35
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Because I don't want them emailed to me?

And I prune the subscribed threads fairly often, but they are still a mess - so they are all jumbled at the bottom of the list of the very few forums I want to read.

Having a way to set entire forums as favorites would fix it, but it seems they are using the Amazon method of removing any features that are useful/needed.
I subscribe to the forums in Tapatalk only, not on the website and don't get any emails. I also have Tapatalk set to no notifications. I don't think there's a way to get emails from Tapatalk settings.

You also can set entire forums as subscribed.

Last edited by Purple Lady; 08-14-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Advert
Old 08-15-2013, 02:30 AM   #36
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Yes, but as near as I can tell, the only way to limit the view to the forums you are interested in is to subscribe to them and look at your subscribed threads (forums get listed at the top).

Otherwise, you get an unfiltered mess of every post on the entire site, which I found to be useless.
I'm not saying you have to love Tapatalk, but it seems to me you dislike it because you haven't figured out how to use it.
You absolutely do not have to handle "an unfiltered...". Wichever version you use you can choose "forums" instead of "posts", and what you see is a list of all forum sections.
And, as have already bees stated, "subscribing" in Tapatalk can be compared to bookmarking, and it will not result in any e-mails.
But, once again, just because some of us love Tapatalk it doesn't mean everyone has to! And for those that do like to use it, 99 cents is a good price to get the newest version. (AS I said earlier, I'm not sure I prefer this version, but at 99 cents I can get it and play around with it to see if I change my mind.)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:40 AM   #37
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
??? I only subscribe to forums, not topics. For example here at MR I "subscribe" (oh how I wish they would call it "set as favourite" or something like that... Oh well...) to "Book Club" (so actually a sub-sub-forum) and "Barnes ans Noble" (the whole thing, so when I go to it the subforums show up as exactly that: subforums)

Last edited by Asawi; 08-15-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:37 AM   #38
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
The version of Tapatalk I am using ain't broke and since I've read about problems with the latest version I am not buying it to break my Tapatalk experience.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:55 AM   #39
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
The version of Tapatalk I am using ain't broke and since I've read about problems with the latest version I am not buying it to break my Tapatalk experience.
I agree! I think this is a good deal for those that don't have Tapatalk already though! (And for us that have that curiosity that keeps getting us into all sorts of trouble... LOL!)
Old 08-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #40
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
(And for us that have that curiosity that keeps getting us into all sorts of trouble... LOL!)
I have that curiosity. And am a 99¢clickophile. BUT. If it ain't broke...

I really like being able to use either my phone, or Kindle Fire to access forums. I wish more of the forums I visited enabled Tapatalk.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #41
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
I wish more of the forums I visited enabled Tapatalk.
Me too! Actually, it's only one of my favourite places that doesn't work with Tapatalk, but I find I'm not reading that forum when on the go because of that (they don't have a mobile site either), and that's a shame since that forum actually is about being on the go! (A Swedish camping forum)
Old 08-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #42
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I'm not saying you have to love Tapatalk, but it seems to me you dislike it because you haven't figured out how to use it.
You absolutely do not have to handle "an unfiltered...". Wichever version you use you can choose "forums" instead of "posts", and what you see is a list of all forum sections.
And, as have already bees stated, "subscribing" in Tapatalk can be compared to bookmarking, and it will not result in any e-mails.
But, once again, just because some of us love Tapatalk it doesn't mean everyone has to! And for those that do like to use it, 99 cents is a good price to get the newest version. (AS I said earlier, I'm not sure I prefer this version, but at 99 cents I can get it and play around with it to see if I change my mind.)
I don't doubt that. But, how do you get to "forums"? I don't see that option in the latest version.

From what I can see, it's a half-decent alternative to trying to use the website (and should use less bandwidth), but is mainly (now) being marketed as a twitter/facebook/g+ aggregator. None of which I use (as far as reading anything on any of them).
Old 08-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #43
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
I don't doubt that. But, how do you get to "forums"? I don't see that option in the latest version.

From what I can see, it's a half-decent alternative to trying to use the website (and should use less bandwidth), but is mainly (now) being marketed as a twitter/facebook/g+ aggregator. None of which I use (as far as reading anything on any of them).
So... they merged the Tapatalk 4 beta into the Tapatalk HD app so that there's one app for both phones and tablets... While this is a good thing, they followed a COMPLETELY different design for Tapatalk 4 than they did in Tapatalk HD, so the app looks VERY different and has completely different navigation options depending on whether your device uses the phone or tablet layout. Using the phone layout, you're looking for the option named "Browse" to navigate the Forum structure. In the tablet layout, Forums and Topics are clearly delineated, but they flattened the view in the phone layout. Hopefully they will merge the two navigation structures in future updates.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:37 AM   #44
koland
Grand Sorcerer

I'll try that (and yes, I was on my phone).
Old 08-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #45
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

I'm not seeing any attached pictures in this version of Tapatalk now, but I do see them in the free version from Amazon. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? This thread is one - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220217