Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
RKEP71
RKEP71 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Question Irregular Images

Does anyone know if there is a way to save irregular images, ie with a wavey edge, not square or rectangular and then wrap text to the image in sigil. I have saved an irregular image as a "gif" file but in the resulting epub, text wraps as if it were square and dosent follow the edge of the image leaving gaps where the image narrows???
RKEP71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46448 Starting with number 5 but multiple revisions and implementations continue from there.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKEP71 View Post
Does anyone know if there is a way to save irregular images, ie with a wavey edge, not square or rectangular and then wrap text to the image in sigil. I have saved an irregular image as a "gif" file but in the resulting epub, text wraps as if it were square and dosent follow the edge of the image leaving gaps where the image narrows???
There are some examples in the MR EPUB section on tips on odd shaped images with text flow.

1) Be aware that not all readers will render this the same.
2) Your coding skills (code view required ) will be tested.
3) Wavy edges . Will require thin slices (of the image). I know Paintshop Pro 8 has an image slicer (attachment )

It slices, It Dices, It makes Julian fries.
(Robin Williams - Aladdin)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
RKEP71
RKEP71 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Could you please be a little more specific on the location of the tips as I cannot find them

thanks
RKEP71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKEP71 View Post
Could you please be a little more specific on the location of the tips as I cannot find them

thanks
It is interspersed in this 'snippets' thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...10&postcount=5 , but that should give you a clue to working with odd images

Slicing the image into strips was my idea so the code (in theory) could 'flow text to either a 'crest' or a 'trough' slice.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
december
Nameless Being

Uh, if I can throw in a dissenting vote - slicing the image might get you the angled appearance you want, but it may not play well with reflowing text.

If I understand correctly, the approach being suggested here would have you placing a slice and a (truncated) line of text on the same line, like this:

Code:
[small slice] The quick brown
[larger slice...]  dog jumps over the lazy fox. The
[even larger slice...]  quick brown dog jumps over the lazy fox.
But if you don't view the text at exactly the same resolution you designed it in - for instance, if you try to switch to a bigger font size for easier reading - I'm pretty sure it's going to break your nice formatting, so you'll have text interspersed with the slices and making a total mess.

Code:
[small slice]
The quick brown
[larger slice...]
dog jumps over the lazy fox. The
[even larger slice...]
quick brown dog jumps over the lazy fox.
...unless there's some way to prevent this that I'm missing?