Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-25-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
Ananas-nrm
Ananas-nrm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
"Failed to email book"

Hello

I just downloaded Calibre onto a Mac. I tried to send as a test the Calibre start guide to my kindle (xxxxx@kindle.com). The autoconversion worked well, but I then get the below error message. Anyone knows how to get around the problem?

Thanks

calibre, version 0.8.11
ERROR: Failed to email book: <b>Failed</b>: Email Calibre Quick Start Guide to xxxxx@kindle.com

Starting job: Email Calibre Quick Start Guide to xxxxx@kindle.com

Sending failed...

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/email.py", line 37, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/email.py", line 112, in sendmail
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 91, in sendmail
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 83, in sendmail_direct
IOError: Failed to send mail: SMTPServerDisconnected('Connection unexpectedly closed',)

Retrying in 1 seconds...

Sending failed...

IOError: Failed to send mail: SMTPServerDisconnected('Connection unexpectedly closed',)

Job: "Email Calibre Quick Start Guide to xxxxxx@kindle.com" failed with error:
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/threaded_jobs.py", line 83, in start_work
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/email.py", line 92, in __call__

Called with args: (u'/var/folders/Wl/Wl2BsGhYFWiE099xSO144E+++TI/-Tmp-/calibre_0.8.11_tmp_eXcUoS/calibre_0.8.11_SLN84Jcaltmpfmt.mobi', u'Calibre Quick Start Guide - John Schember.mobi', u'xxxxxx@kindle.com', u'E-book: Calibre Quick Start Guide', u'Attached, you will find the e-book\n\nCalibre Quick Start Guide\n\tby John Schember\n\xxx the MOBI format.') {u'notifications': <Queue.Queue instance at 0x121804dd0>, u'abort': <threading._Event object at 0x121ef4cd0>, u'log': <calibre.utils.logging.GUILog object at 0x121dc9250>}
Ananas-nrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananas-nrm View Post
I just downloaded Calibre onto a Mac. I tried to send as a test the Calibre start guide to my kindle (xxxxx@kindle.com). The autoconversion worked well, but I then get the below error message. Anyone knows how to get around the problem?
The error is unexpected disconnect of the SMTP session, so I suspect that you have neglected to add the sending email address to the list of permitted senders in your Amazon Kindle account.

Log in to Amazon, go to the Kindle account pages, and add in whatever email address you've set in the calibre preferences.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 05:42 AM   #3
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Ummm, stupid question but...

Isn't the address suffix supposed to be:

blahblah@free.kindle.com

?
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:01 AM   #4
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Ummm, stupid question but...

Isn't the address suffix supposed to be:

blahblah@free.kindle.com

?
Not if you have a wifi K3. If you have a 3g version, use the free.kindle.com address in order to get free delivery. But if you have a wifi K3, the kindle.com address is free to use.

Now here *is* a stupid question. How do you join in June 2011 and have 2556 posts by July 26, 2011?

Last edited by speedlever; 07-27-2011 at 03:00 PM.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #5
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
Most likely there is something amiss with the settings you've entered for the mail server (and username & password) or possibly a size restriction on the SMTP server you're using.

Use the test under Preferences > Sharing books via email > Test to prove that it will send as expected.

You could sign up for a gmail or hotmail account solely for the purpose of sending books to your Kindle and sidestep all the configuration options. That might be slightly slower than using your ISP's mailservers but it has the advantage of working anywhere that gmail/hotmail works.
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

IIRC, I got the same error trying to use my Roadrunner email address. I used my gmail address and it works fine.

Last edited by speedlever; 07-27-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
Not if you have a wifi K3. If you have a 3g version, use the free.kindle.com address in order to get free delivery. But if you have a wifi K3, the kindle. com address is free to use.

Or so I understand.

Now here *is* a stupid question. How do you join in June 2011 and have 2556 posts by July 26, 2011?
Hmmm, are you sure? Because I have a Wifi K3 no ads USA version and the @free.kindle.com suffix is what I use.

No probs at all...
Old 07-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #8
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
I had this problem, it was a settings issue but I can't remember what I did to fix it. Not very helpful I know.

Last edited by Tome Keeper; 07-27-2011 at 02:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
speedlever
Fanatic

Yes, I'm sure. You can use either email address for the wifi K3. I've been using the @kindle.com address for months and have never been charged. But if you have a 3g version, you need to use the @free.kindle.com address.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=17
Old 07-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Speedlever is correct. If you have a wifi-only K3, it doesn't matter which address you use. Delivery via wifi is always free.

If you have a 3G+wifi model and don't want to ever be charged, there a two ways to do it. Either use the xxx@free.kindle.com, or use the regular xxx@kindle.com and set your maximum individual charge to $0.00 in your amazon profile.

3G-only K2's and DX's must use the xxx@free.kindle.com to avoid charges.

As to the OP's problems; many times, Amazon servers see direct connection attempts from individual mail clients (in this case calibre on your PC) as spam related and drop the connection. They like to see connections from other smtp servers. Either configure your ISP's smtp server in calibre (or set up your own smtp server) or use gmail or hotmail addresses. And like Paul said, make sure your email address is added to the list of permitted email addresses in your Amazon account.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-27-2011 at 02:54 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:45 AM   #11
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion

^ Good info guys. Thanks!
Old 08-03-2011, 02:16 AM   #12
slatey
slatey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Right. I have a3G kindle. I am e mailing to name@free.kindle.com. I have tried e mailing from both my hotmail and gmail accounts. I have authorised the sender on my kindle.

The test doesn't work...

And I still get...

calibre, version 0.8.12
ERROR: Failed to email book: <b>Failed</b>: Email BBC Sport to xxx@free.kindle.com[/email]

Starting job: Email BBC Sport to xxx@free.kindle.com[/email]

Sending failed...

Retrying in 1 seconds...

Sending failed...

Job: "Email BBC Sport to xxx@free.kindle.com[/email]" failed with error:
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/threaded_jobs.py", line 83, in start_work
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/email.py", line 92, in __call__

Called with args: (u'/var/folders/w5/w5Zo83sKHjCsQG8La9aPFk+++TI/-Tmp-/calibre_0.8.12_tmp_DZ8Vvk/calibre_0.8.12_x7HkMTcaltmpfmt.mobi', u'BBC Sport - calibre.mobi', u'xxx@free.kindle.com', u'E-book: BBC Sport', u'Attached, you will find the e-book\n\nBBC Sport\n\tby calibre\n\nin the MOBI format.') {u'notifications': <Queue.Queue instance at 0x1222969e0>, u'abort': <threading._Event object at 0x122400810>, u'log': <calibre.utils.logging.GUILog object at 0x122400890>}
slatey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slatey View Post
Right. I have a3G kindle. I am e mailing to name@free.kindle.com. I have tried e mailing from both my hotmail and gmail accounts. I have authorised the sender on my kindle.
I wonder if your ISP might not be redirecting traffic to port 25. Some ISPs refuse to allow ordinary subscribers to connect to any SMTP server directly except for the ISP's server. This might be what's happening here.

How do you usually send email? Through a local mail client, or via webmail?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #14
mickeybikes
mickeybikes began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I'm having the same problem as Slatey with Calibre and my 3G Kindle, generally the same error message, too. I'm using a gmail account. If I send an email directly from my gmail account to my kindle email, it works fine. But it won't work as a relay with Calibre.

I tried the "test email" and got this error message:

File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/wizard/send_email.py", line 173, in test_email_settings

Log:
Find mail exchanger for free.kindle.com
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 77, in sendmail_direct
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtplib.py", line 706, in sendmail
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtplib.py", line 528, in ehlo_or_helo_if_needed
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtplib.py", line 401, in ehlo
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtplib.py", line 358, in getreply
SMTPServerDisconnected: Connection unexpectedly closed

I'd appreciate any insight...
mickeybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I'd appreciate any insight...
Have you actually configured calibre to send email using your gmail account or have you just entered your gmail address in the "send email from:" field in preferences?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
email, failed, share ebooks, smtp