Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Complete works of Andre Norton?

Andre Norton is the author who made science fiction books part of my life - a very many years ago. I would love to get a collection of her books on my Kindle.

Does anyone know if there is an eBook collection of all of her books? She was a prolific writer so probably not, but I am hoping just the same. Amazon has a couple of collections but they contain duplicate books. Baen has a very small selection of her books. Project Gutenberg also has some of her books - more than Baen, anyway. But no where I have checked seems to have all of the books in even one of the many series that she wrote.

I would really like her complete Witch World series if nothing else.

I am new to the world of eBooks - is there another likely site where I should be looking?

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Unfortunately, it seems unlikely there'll be a legal collection of her complete works any time soon.

Norton died about a decade ago and apparently there were difficulties sorting out her estate, according to one of her co-writers who wanted to continue a joint series. So it might take awhile for her non-public-domain-according-to-US-rules stuff to be digitized, especially now that the author's no longer alive to push for it/have a new book coming out for the publisher to want to cash in the backlist.

Probably the best you can do is to write whomever publishes the Witch World books and express an interest in seeing them in e-book format. Or if they're out of print, perhaps write to the Baen people, who seem to already have a line on reprinting her other books and may be able to negotiate for some more.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
A small "Omnibus" of four Andre Norton works is available right here on MobileRead! It includes the stories "All Cats Are Gray", "The Gifts Of Asti", "The People Of The Crater" and "Voodoo Planet". A nice starter Norton for you!
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
Andre Norton is the author who made science fiction books part of my life - a very many years ago. I would love to get a collection of her books on my Kindle.

Does anyone know if there is an eBook collection of all of her books? She was a prolific writer so probably not, but I am hoping just the same. Amazon has a couple of collections but they contain duplicate books. Baen has a very small selection of her books. Project Gutenberg also has some of her books - more than Baen, anyway. But no where I have checked seems to have all of the books in even one of the many series that she wrote.

I would really like her complete Witch World series if nothing else.

I am new to the world of eBooks - is there another likely site where I should be looking?

Holly
I have both the Gates of Witch World (Witch World, Web of Witch World and Year of the Unicorn) and well as Lost Worlds of Witch World (Three against Witch World, Warlock of Witch World and Sorceress of Witch World), which make up the first six books of the Witch World sage. I bought both from Amazon. Gates is a topaz book. I don't see it available anymore, so the publisher might have pulled it. I do see Warding of Witch World is also available.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
At Amazon, There are a bunch of her collections in the $1 to $4 range.

Like you, I cut my scifi reading teeth on her books. It was disappointing to learn that the stories didn't age well, at least to me. Don't get me wrong, I love most of the oldies, such as Zelazny, Delaney, Bova, and so on. But the Norton samples that I got just seemed flat to me now.

It's the same with me and Asimov. I tried to re-read Foundation and a couple of others after a gap 30+ years, and i couldn't get up any interest in those books that I devoured in my teens.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 11:03 PM   #6
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Thank you all for your responses. Guess I'll have to be patient and piece together what series or parts of series that I can. Since Andre Norton died in 2005, if there are legal problems, as mentioned by ATDrake, it may be a long while before anything but bits and pieces are available. I did see the books available here on MobileRead - maybe that would indeed be a start; at least I know they will be properly formatted.

@DixieGal: I'm sorry that Ms Norton's writing didn't age well for you. Perhaps much of my feeling for her is nostalgia - it's been a long time since I read anything by her - maybe I should just pick up a few of her freebies and see if it is worth searching for more. How easy it is to romanticize the past.

Holly
Old 10-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #7
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
Well, I still enjoy re-reading her SPACE RANGERS aka THE LAST PLANET. Which thankfully is collected in STAR SOLDIERS in the Baen free ebook library.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:56 AM   #8
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are also several free Andre Nortons at Feedbooks and Manybooks.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #9
OakIris
Addict

Looks as if I will be able to piece together enough books to make a decent Andre Norton collection. Thank you very much for all of your replies.

@Moe The Cat - the Norton books on Feedbooks appear to be in the ePub format; unfortunately I have a Kindle (or will have a Kindle soon.) I did check out the Feedbooks FAQ's and it said if you have a Kindle, download in Kindle format, but their Andre Norton's books all seem to be in the more popular ePub format. Do you know if the books on Feedbooks are DRM free so I can convert the books via Calibre? Excuse my ignorance...let me know if this is something I should just be asking Feedbooks!

Holly
Old 10-07-2010, 11:02 AM   #10
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
@Moe The Cat - the Norton books on Feedbooks appear to be in the ePub format
The Feedbooks link lists all their Andre Norton books and it has epub download links because that is their default, or preferred, format. However, if you click on each individual title, it will open a page for that specific book and offer Kindle and pdf downloads as well. And yes, all Feedbooks titles are DRM-free.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
Well, I still enjoy re-reading her SPACE RANGERS aka THE LAST PLANET. Which thankfully is collected in STAR SOLDIERS in the Baen free ebook library.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.
Go to
http://www.baen.com/library/
to get to the Baen Free library
At the left, click on "Authors"
When the list appears, click on "Andre Norton"

Currently available are Star Solders (Star Guard + Star Rangers) and
Time Traders (The Time Traders + Galactic Derelict)
for free.
This is a free sample to tempt you into purchasing their other Andre Norton books.

Last edited by nyrath; 10-08-2010 at 12:52 PM.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #13
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Webscriptions has quite a few of Ms. Norton's older books available. (33 stories in 15 ebooks)

Crosstime - The Crossroads of Time and Quest Crosstime

Dark Companion - previously appeared separately as Dark Piper and Dread Companion.

Darkness and Dawn - previously published in parts as Star Man's Son and No Night Without Stars

From the Sea to the Stars - Sea Seige and Star Gate

Gods and Androids - previously appeared separately as Android at Arms and Wraiths of Time.

Janus - Judgment on Janus and Victory on Janus

Masks of the Outcasts - previously appeared separately as Catseye and Night of Masks

Moonsinger - Moon of Three Rings and Exiles of the Stars

Search for the Star Stones - originally published in parts as The Zero Stone and its sequel Uncharted Stars

Star Flight - previously published in parts as The Stars are Ours and Star Born.

Star Soldiers (Webscriptions Free Library)

The Game of Stars and Comets - Includes The X Factor, Voorloper, The Eye of the Monster, and The Sioux Spaceman

Time Traders (Webscriptions Free Library)

Time Traders II: The Defiant Agents and Key Out of Time

Warlock - previously published in parts as Storm Over Warlock, Ordeal in Otherwhere and Forerunner Foray

The price ranges from $4 to $6 each, some of her best works IMO and at these prices they rival the old Ace Doubles in value.

As with all Webscriptions ebooks they are available in many different formats (including Kindle) and always DRM free.

You will probably need to get these before Jan. 31, 2011 BTW

Last edited by NormHart; 10-07-2010 at 06:38 PM.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #14
OakIris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
Webscriptions has quite a few of Ms. Norton's older books available. (33 stories in 15 ebooks)
The price ranges from $4 to $6 each, some of her best works IMO and at these prices they rival the old Ace Doubles in value.

As with all Webscriptions ebooks they are available in many different formats (including Kindle) and always DRM free.

Thank you very much for this list, and thanks for your input as well, nyrath. I have bookmarked the Webscriptions page. I'll have to compare prices with the eBooks offered elsewhere -free is always good -but the Baen eBooks site was definitely on my list of places to browse. I should be getting my Kindle today and then I'll really get serious about finding the books I want.

Holly

Edit - what happens on Jan 31, 2011??

Last edited by OakIris; 10-08-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
Why? What's going to happen on that date?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote