Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-25-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
stefanib123
stefanib123 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader, Slick
Black VS. White Pandigital?

I've seen several quotes on here that the white Pandigital is preferable over the black. There are 2 white ones, one is 6" black and white, so I assume they are not talking about this one?

As for the one labeled "Mulitmedia", the only difference I"m seeing is that the white one is a 1GB, and the black is 2GB.

Am I missing something here?
stefanib123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:32 AM   #2
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
You want the 7 inch white color. It does only have a 1 gig internal microSD compared to 2 gigs for the black, but you'll want to get a regular SD card for the external slot to hold your books/videos/music anyway.

The white model runs Android 2.0 and has a variety of custom firmwares (unofficial) available over on slatedroid. This lets you soup up the processor, add google market, etc.

The black model runs Android 1.5 or 1.6 (I think). I think it has less RAM and a slower processor as well. Older Android means less apps will work on it.

The white one is a good buy (was a great buy at 60 dollars when Kohls had them on clearance). I actually use mine pretty much exclusively as a reader. The stock reader app works pretty well, and I have Kindle, Alkido, and AdobeX on there too. The screen isn't great, but properly adjusted it works fine for me.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
You want the 7 inch white color. It does only have a 1 gig internal microSD compared to 2 gigs for the black, but you'll want to get a regular SD card for the external slot to hold your books/videos/music anyway.

The white model runs Android 2.0 and has a variety of custom firmwares (unofficial) available over on slatedroid. This lets you soup up the processor, add google market, etc.

The black model runs Android 1.5 or 1.6 (I think). I think it has less RAM and a slower processor as well. Older Android means less apps will work on it.

The white one is a good buy (was a great buy at 60 dollars when Kohls had them on clearance). I actually use mine pretty much exclusively as a reader. The stock reader app works pretty well, and I have Kindle, Alkido, and AdobeX on there too. The screen isn't great, but properly adjusted it works fine for me.
Good run-down.

There are now 2 officially supported firmware versions for the white PDN. The 11/19 firmware that has the B&N library/store/reader app as the primary interface... and the 1/14 Open Platform that turns the white PDN into a generic Android tablet with book reading capabilities.

The black PDN runs 1.5. It is a fine device as-is but is far more limited in terms of hackability and expandability.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:12 AM   #4
stefanib123
stefanib123 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader, Slick
Thanks, I forgot to come back to this thread, sorry.

I've been doing some major reading, and I found out all this and more. I'm just wondering now if I actually DO want to hack it?

I know most "techies' would want to, but I'm just average jane reader, as long as I can read books onit, and do a little web surfing and check my email, will I NEED to hack it?
stefanib123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

probably not.

If I didn't need AdobeX and Repligo for my PDFs, I would have been perfectly happy with stock 11/17 firmware on my white PDN.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
probably not.

If I didn't need AdobeX and Repligo for my PDFs, I would have been perfectly happy with stock 11/17 firmware on my white PDN.
I agree. If I didn't need a comic reader I too would've been happy with the stock 11/19 firmware.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I had a white Pandigital Novel some time ago before it got stollen and I hatted it for many reasons:

1) It froze approximatly once every hour worth of reading and had to be reset.
2) Would often call up a different book from the one that I indicate on the device.
3) Was the slowest thing that I have ever encountered.

I really don't like the Pandigital Novel white.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
soondai
Guru

sounds like you had a lemon or the firmware has been drastically improved.

I've never encountered any of those problems.

I use mine for all my PDF reading and I've been using it more and more for ePubs. The screen resolution is not fantastic. But I set the screen brightness as low as it goes and read in night mode (white text on black backround) on the stock reader for ePubs and Repligo for PDFs and really like it.

I only run into trouble on a few PDF books that are scanned, and thus cannot be night-moded. With them, the white screen can be a little much.

I was very surprised how well the machine handles PDFs. I have books that are up to 25 MB in size and there is very little lag rendering them.

It's a deal at $100 and was a steal at 60.