Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I still can't decide!

I've purchased 4 eInk devices to evaluate, thanks to iPad owners are selling their eInks.

I eliminated the Kindle 2 and Sony PRS-700 for specific reasons. The Nook and the Pocket Edition continue to be neck and neck. While I'm using one, I think "this is the one. I love it." And then I pick up the other one and say the same thing

The Pocket appeals to my inner organization freak
Calibre + Collections organizes my 500+ ebooks
Holding it is almost as easy as my iPhone.
nice screen contrast
Downsides: lack of expansion, no dictionary, no clock or progress bar, no WiFi, the ePub/PDF Overdrive problem. And I'm not convinced that Sony won't ditch the ebook market like they did the PDA market. I hate being left with an unsupported device, although it won't be as much as an issue because of ePub.

The Nook appeals to my geeky/tweaky side:
screensaver and wallpapers
tons of accessories available
B&N is pumping out constant updates
the screen contrast is wonderful
the touchscreen is slick
I like the progress bar and clock.
can read my eReader format collection with no conversion
Downsides: no way to organize books, heavier than the Pocket, although it is manageable in an easel case. I was really hoping 1.4 would offer book organization.

I've thought seriously about keeping them both, but since I've been switching back and forth between them, it's been a pain to try and remember and jump to the right page in a book mid-read. So I think one device is better.

Or maybe I can designate the nook for library books and the Pocket for my purchased collection?

And I'm having a hard time finding a decent clip light for either of them - most of them are too bright in a dark room or add way too much weight. Which makes me miss the PRS-700. Too bad there wasn't an easel case for it.

Decisions, decisions. Any insight, or something I might be overlooking?
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
One the reasons I bought the Nook over the Sony Pocket Edition is that I heard the Sony was very slow. When trying out the Nook it seemed pretty snappy. Which do you think is quicker?
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyfromVA View Post
One the reasons I bought the Nook over the Sony Pocket Edition is that I heard the Sony was very slow. When trying out the Nook it seemed pretty snappy. Which do you think is quicker?
With the 1.4 firmware update, the Nook is noticeably faster than it was. I've got the same book open on the Nook & Pocket, and they flash at the EXACT same time when I use the buttons.

I tried to compare the nook touchscreen swipe and the Sony button push, but although I can rub my belly and pat my head at the same time - I can't swipe with one hand and press with the other

They both load a "currently reading" book at the same rate. However, the Nook loads a NEW book from the home screen faster than the Sony.

The Sony wakes from sleep faster. Probably because it doesn't have screensaver.

Maybe you were thinking of the Sony Touch? I've only played with a working model at Target, and I think it was slower than the Pocket (although the screen glare bothered me the most).
Old 07-03-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
Maybe you were thinking of the Sony Touch? I've only played with a working model at Target, and I think it was slower than the Pocket (although the screen glare bothered me the most).
Heavens no - the PRS-600 is much, much faster than the PRS-300; it's one of the fastest readers around. The 600 will turn pages at about double the rate of the 300.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:13 AM   #5
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
The folder/author organization supposedly will come in one of these updates. I sure hope it is sooner rather than later.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
it's been a few months and I'm still in love with my Nook. It's such a wonderful e-book reader
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #7
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
Another consideration is if you are the kind of reader that has several, or at least two, books going at the same time. I am that kind of reader. In addition to my iPod Touch, I use my phone and am finishing several "non ereader" books prior to going all electronic. Think that I will always have at least two and maybe more e-readers.

Last edited by stargazertony; 07-05-2010 at 10:34 AM.
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I'm using two readers too. Sometimes two books, sometimes one on both readers (especially if I really want to finish that book...). I always try to read till the end of the chapter, in that case, so when I get my other reader, I just jump to that chapter and continue..
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #9
simplyparticular
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Heavens no - the PRS-600 is much, much faster than the PRS-300; it's one of the fastest readers around. The 600 will turn pages at about double the rate of the 300.
You are correct - I caved and bought a PRS-600 off eBay (darn those iPad owners putting their old eBook devices for such low prices that I can't resist!). The 600 refreshes pages much faster, even in large PDFs. And I adore the 600's light cover. But the screen glare/contrast make it useless in daytime. I can't even read it in my work office -- all I can see are the vertical blinds behind me (closed!) or the flourescent lights above me. Maybe I'll hide under my desk

As far as having two readers, I have my iPhone 3G, so I can still use that as my pocket/travel reader. Although I have to say I'm less enthused with it since I upgraded to iOS 4 - certain tasks are much slower than they were, and iBooks is noticeably slow to load and turn pages on my 3G. And I don't have wallpaper, multitasking or battery usage turned on.

The Cybook Opus is on its way as a possible compromise between the nook & 300 (expandable memory and folder capabilities, but no wireless). I've been researching a few of the WiFi devices:

PocketBook 302 - screen glare looks worse than Sony 600/700
Cybook Orizon/Bebook Neo/Onyx Boox - don't want to go back to a stylus
PRS-900 - supposedly has less glare than the PRS-600

But any of them would definitely have to qualify as my only device, as they are much pricier.

Last edited by simplyparticular; 07-13-2010 at 04:57 PM.