Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #1
dleh
dleh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
PRS-600 temperamental on/off switch

Hi,

I've had my PRS-600 since Christmas and like it very much. However I've noticed that sometimes it takes 2 or 3 attempts with the on/off switch before it will turn on. Once on I can turn it off and back on again fine, it only seems to happen when it's been left off for a few hours, e.g. overnight.

Is this normal? It's only a minor annoyance but I want it to be perfect. Should I try to take it back to the shop (Waterstones in UK). It was a gift, not sure if I can get the receipt or not.

David
dleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I will usually turn mine completely off at night then turn it back on in the morning. When I move the slider to turn back on there will usually be a 3 second delay before you see the normal boot screen displayed.

Are you experiencing the same delay or do you get zero reaction the first 1-2 attempts to turn on the device?
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
My on/off switch is temperamental lately when I try to send it to sleep. For the first 1-2 tries nothing happens, then on the next try it asks me if I want to shut down the reader, even though I just slide and release, not slide and hold as you are supposed to do when you want to shut down. It's not always, but it's happened quite a few times lately...
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
dleh

I get zero reaction the first 1 or 2 times, but not always, and only if I haven't used it in a few hours. It always turns off fine too. That leads me to believe it's not just a problem with the switch itself.

I just tried a hard reset so we'll see if that makes any difference.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
monkeyboy20
monkeyboy20 began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505, sony 600, sony 900, iPad 32Gb wifi (soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleh View Post
Hi,

I've had my PRS-600 since Christmas and like it very much. However I've noticed that sometimes it takes 2 or 3 attempts with the on/off switch before it will turn on. Once on I can turn it off and back on again fine, it only seems to happen when it's been left off for a few hours, e.g. overnight.

Is this normal? It's only a minor annoyance but I want it to be perfect. Should I try to take it back to the shop (Waterstones in UK). It was a gift, not sure if I can get the receipt or not.

David
I have the same issue with my 600. It would take 2 or 3 times to turn on the reader.
monkeyboy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 04:18 AM   #6
raymondchen625
raymondchen625 began at the beginning.

I met the same situation. But it's OK. Not a big issue. Big issue is that it requires strong light to read in the evening.
raymondchen625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:29 AM   #7
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Mine's pretty temperamental with the switch as well. Sometimes it will come on with the first slide, sometimes it takes 2-3 slides.

I have noticed though that the colder it gets, the more this occurs. I keep it in a warm room when I'm not using it and the problem generally goes away.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:13 AM   #8
dleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
Mine's pretty temperamental with the switch as well. Sometimes it will come on with the first slide, sometimes it takes 2-3 slides.

I have noticed though that the colder it gets, the more this occurs. I keep it in a warm room when I'm not using it and the problem generally goes away.
That's interesting. I take mine with me on my commute which involves a 15 minute bike ride and standing on a cold railway platform so it does get subjected to colder temperatures at this time of year. Not sure if that would be enough to cool it down sufficiently though.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:11 AM   #9
Laurentiu
Connoisseur
Laurentiu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2, Sony PRS-600 (no longer used)
No problem when the battery is full (or near full). When the battery level is low, it takes 2-3 attempts to turn it on. No problem turning off, though.
Laurentiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #10
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleh View Post
That's interesting. I take mine with me on my commute which involves a 15 minute bike ride and standing on a cold railway platform so it does get subjected to colder temperatures at this time of year. Not sure if that would be enough to cool it down sufficiently though.
Well I used to keep it in my bedroom, unfortunatly the room has very poor insulation and any heat escapes very easily so the radiator is rarely on (no point in wasting money on heating that doesn't work, am saving up to get this sorted though). My 600 used to sit in there for at least 16 hours a day. This winter it would normally be very cold to the touch. Now I've moved it to the living room, I don't tend to get any more problems with it.

I can't explain it, but if it solves the problem, I'm happy to leave it there untill the weather warms up.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote