Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 05:05 AM   #1
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Anyone doing ebook covers? Show them off!

Another curious post of mine. Does anyone out there actually make covers for ebooks they read?

By making covers, I'm not talking about taking the paper book cover image and pasting it to the first page. I'm talking more about from-scratch covers, which could be tacky clip art or simple text or just about anything that improves the presentation a little bit.

I'm especially curious if anyone is doing this for public-domain books, like those on Gutenberg.

I'd love to see what kinds of images folks have come up with.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:06 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I've done some covers for the books I've uploaded here, when I don't find other satisfactory covers. They're usually just a picture or painting with the title and author. I'm attaching some samples.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Animaux.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	42499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Commedia.jpg
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	42500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Forsyte.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	42501   Click image for larger version

Name:	GostaBerling.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	42502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mousquetaires.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	42503   Click image for larger version

Name:	Novelas.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	42504  
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 06:08 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
By making covers, I'm not talking about taking the paper book cover image and pasting it to the first page. I'm talking more about from-scratch covers, which could be tacky clip art or simple text or just about anything that improves the presentation a little bit.
I've done some. Here's a selection. Mostly I try to find an appropriate image and add text. For the Edgar Rice Burroughs covers I got a little fancier. If I was re-doing the Rider Haggard covers I'd choose a different font - the fancy font doesn't reduce in size for thumbnails as well as a solid font.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	David Balfour.jpeg
Views:	241
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	42497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Treasure Island.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	42498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tarzan 1.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	42505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Harvard Classics Volume 01.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	42506   Click image for larger version

Name:	H Rider Haggard (Page 01).jpg
Views:	247
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	42507   Click image for larger version

Name:	0101 Jim Baen's Universe Volume I #1.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	42508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Land that Time Forgot Trilogy.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	42509  
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:02 AM   #4
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
There are two kinds of people that I have problems with. Those with lots of money and those with lots of talent.

Wonderful Covers!

I hope more folks post samples that I can emulate.

Charlie
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:42 AM   #5
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Thanks for the responses so far. I look forward to seeing what other folks bring to the table as well.

I am not much of a pictures person, especially on e-ink. My covers generally lean towards the minimalist, though admittedly not quite as sparse as some of what you find (see Feedbooks basic cover below). I focus more on just some simple text, and pehaps a little bit of simple black/white decoration.

For those of you who do images...where do you look for them usually?

Edit: I'll toss up the cover I whipped up a few minutes ago to replace the Dracula one (don't tell anyone)...not perfect but it'll do for the time being.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	feedbookscover.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	42521   Click image for larger version

Name:	draculacover.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	42522  

Last edited by LDBoblo; 01-05-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 08:51 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I now use a standard layout for my covers - black background, picture of the author, and name and title of the book. This has the benefit of showing up very clearly when reduced to a thumbnail for those device (such as the Bookeen ones) whose primary method of choosing a book is from the cover thumbnail.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	42523  
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Mostly I just search through google images. Other good places (if looking for an original cover) are abebooks, and various author sites.

For instance, I found the image I used for the Tarzan book covers in a scan of the original dustcover. http://www.erbzine.com/mag4/tz1.html
Old 01-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Edit: I'll toss up the cover I whipped up a few minutes ago to replace the Dracula one (don't tell anyone)...not perfect but it'll do for the time being.
I'd suggest making your cover images 600x800. They show up at that size on the CyBooks Gen 3 and on the Kindle.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #9
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'd suggest making your cover images 600x800. They show up at that size on the CyBooks Gen 3 and on the Kindle.
Nah, the cover isn't an image file that I intend to have anyone else use. I don't presume to make covers that other people want, just to make me feel better about what ebooks I have.

The jpg was just a snap from a screenshot of it in Adobe Acrobat. The actual file is PDF and INDD.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
The web, mainly Google Images. Sometimes I can take the illustrations from the book (as in the first of my examples). I often know the general atmosphere I want for my pictures, so I can search for "snow landscape" or "english society" and see what I can find (most of the times, nothing interesting). Other times I know I want a particular painting or illustration, then it's easier to look for it. The Web Gallery of Art is a useful resource too.

By the way, I also put a picture of the author in the title page, after the cover. I start searching Wikipedia for that.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:36 AM   #11
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
All of these covers are great!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Another curious post of mine. Does anyone out there actually make covers for ebooks they read?

I'm especially curious if anyone is doing this for public-domain books, like those on Gutenberg.

I'd love to see what kinds of images folks have come up with.
I did one for Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged". While I *like* the Atlas-Holding-Globe cover, I preferred this one.

Derek
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	240
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	42568  
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:46 PM   #13
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
I just finished this using GIMP 2.6 and a Google search.

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails

Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	42569  
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #14
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
I just finished this using GIMP 2.6 and a Google search.
To tell you the truth I think you went overboard with the title font. Personally, I can't read all of that. I can only make out a few words, and only after trying real hard.

P.S. I have perfect vision.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:28 PM   #15
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Just some of the covers used in my german uploads. Basically i have six or seven Gimp templates and each new cover is just just a modified copy (other main image, other fonts but basically the same layout).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	das_letzte_maerchen.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	42570   Click image for larger version

Name:	LittleLord.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	42571   Click image for larger version

Name:	stoertebecker.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	42572   Click image for larger version

Name:	kampf_um_rom.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	42573   Click image for larger version

Name:	geschelcht_der_zukunft.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	42574   Click image for larger version

Name:	zacharius.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	42575   Click image for larger version

Name:	die_verstümmelten.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	42576   Click image for larger version

Name:	donnerstag.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	42577   Click image for larger version

Name:	galeere.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	42578  

Last edited by netseeker; 01-05-2010 at 09:32 PM.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote