Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-29-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Memory Cards and Podcasts

Hello,

New PRS 505 user here so this is probably going to be the first of a number of silly questions. I did search the forum but didn't see this one so I appologise if I missed it.

I have been looking at using my reader to listen to a podcast I subscribe to. Now I have put a number of the editions of the podcast on a 1gb memory card (sd) and put that in the 505. It sees 3 of 6 files and it seems to be size related - anything under around 25mb it sees, anything over it doesn't. The odd bit is if I move a larger file into the internal memory of the device it can see and play all 6 files fine.

Anyone else had this issue or any suggestions as to what I have done wrong?

Love the reader btw and I have check it is on the latest firmware.

Thanks

Pev
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
wild_Willie2
Zealot
wild_Willie2 began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
I had the same problem with my SD card.

Apparently you can't put large files in the root directory of your SD card. You need to put them into at least a single folder in the root directory...
wild_Willie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for that - I can now see more files but still have basically the same issue - I still cannot see files over approx 25mb even with them in a subfolder - that means I can see 20 out of 42 podcasts at present. Its not a big deal - I'll just have to copy them over to the internal memory
Old 05-04-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
Peverel
Still Easily Confused

Cracked the Issue

Have been investigating this further sionce I asked the question and thought I'd let anyone interested know the solution.

The podcast files I was using are from EscapePod and have an episode number prefixing the story/podcast name in the MP3 title tag. This makes a title tag of 194:Exhalation for example. If I remove the 194: from the title tag on the MP3 the PRS505 sees it fine on the memory card.

Update: In fact I have just tested this and simply removing the : in the title tag fixes the issue.

Last edited by Peverel; 05-04-2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: more info
Old 05-07-2009, 07:04 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
congratulations on cracking the case peverel. in general, it's best to avoid punctuation in filenames (not just for the 505) ; in some windows programs, if you try to include a colon or semi-colon (or some others, i can't think of all of them just now) it will alert you that this is an "illegal character". if you need to use a delimiter in your filename, it's best to stick to an underscore _ character ; these should cause no trouble. enjoy your podcasts !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 06:35 AM   #6
Peverel
Still Easily Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
in general, it's best to avoid punctuation in filenames
Hi,

The punctuation is not in the filename of the file its in the Title Tag of the MP3 ID3 tags. That's the weird bit as the filename is punctuation free. Also the file works fine in the internal memory without tag modification you only need to remove the : to see it when its on a memory card. (Oh and I tested Sony Mem Sticks and SD and they both behave the same).

All I can think is that the memory card is read in a different way to the internal memory (which makes sense from a device interface perspective)and that difference causes the issue with the : in the tag but hey - right now I am just happy I have it working

Pev