Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
Tripitaka
Tripitaka began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Talking UK: Expansys refurbished model deal!!

Hi peeps!

I've been lurking on these forums for quite a while trying to choose an e-ink device and eventually decided on the PRS-505.

Unfortunately I couldn't justify spending £200+ on my first device, however today I found a refurbished blue model for £117.40 inc next day delivery (with a £10 off voucher).

It appears that was the last one in stock however they do have silver models at £133.99 (£123.99 with voucher which you can find by doing a quick google search).
Link: http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=169547

Seems like a great deal and Expansys is a well recognised company in the UK for electronic devices. I'm still a bit dubious, however it does come with a 1 year warranty. I'll update this thread when I receive the reader and give you my impressions of the unit and the service from Expansys!

Pleasant reading all!

/Tripitaka

Last edited by Tripitaka; 02-10-2009 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Edited for "over-excited purchase" spelling mistakes!!
Tripitaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Tripitaka and welcome to the Forum. I've had a 505 for a little over a year and am very pleased with it. I expect you will be too.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Expansys are a great company - I buy virtually all my electronic "odds and ends" from them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:21 AM   #4
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
This is the first time I hear the name "Expansys". Although I am buying online only from 2003...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:13 AM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Expansys are a great company - I buy virtually all my electronic "odds and ends" from them.
It is the place I look at if I cannot find an item in Sweden. The only disadvantage from my viewpoint is the the postage and package cost is a bit high if you just need to buy a cable.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 07:12 AM   #6
nick_f
nick_f doesn't litternick_f doesn't litter

Device: sony prs 505
Hey yeah ive ordered one from expansys yesterday, a silver 505,
hopefully all is well with it!
nick_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:20 AM   #7
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
the word "refurbished" is a bit scary, can you expect as if it was a new one or it might have some glitches or scratches ?
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:32 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would imagine they are ones that people have returned for whatever reason. No reason to suppose they are faulty.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:26 AM   #9
Tripitaka
Tripitaka began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Thumbs up It's arrived....

The reader arrived today in an official sealed "Sony Refurbished" box. In pristine condition, looks like it's never been touched! I've charged and tested it, no problems at all though the firmware is an older version. I'm just waiting for it to fully charge before I update it!

I'd highly recommend buying a refurbished model from Expansys (almost half the price of a new one!) assuming they're all in the same condition as mine

/Tripitaka
Tripitaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:27 AM   #10
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
After reading this thread I sold 3 of them for expansys with 2 more "I'm thinking about it's".

One of this arrived this morning (the others were after the 4:30 cut-off).
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:52 AM   #11
tinyblob
tinyblob began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm waiting for mine to arrive at the moment!
tinyblob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:03 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've just ordered one myself - it will be interesting to compare it with my CyBook. With the £10 off voucher I got from

http://tinyurl.com/10quidoff

the total cost including UK postage was just £131.40. (Oh - and I used a mailinator.com address to get the voucher, just in case.)

I'll report back when it arrives - hopefully tomorrow.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripitaka View Post
It appears that was the last one in stock however they do have silver models at £133.99 (£123.99 with voucher which you can find by doing a quick google search).
Link: http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=169547
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #13
nick_f
nick_f doesn't litternick_f doesn't litter

Device: sony prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripitaka View Post
The reader arrived today in an official sealed "Sony Refurbished" box. In pristine condition, looks like it's never been touched! I've charged and tested it, no problems at all though the firmware is an older version. I'm just waiting for it to fully charge before I update it!

I'd highly recommend buying a refurbished model from Expansys (almost half the price of a new one!) assuming they're all in the same condition as mine

/Tripitaka

Mine is due today hopefully it will be same as yours!
nick_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #14
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Seems like the blue one is back in stock, and there are still alot of silver ones.
It's a very good price, I almost ordered a second one for me

They will ship worldwide, the total price shipped worldwide is 130£ which is still very good.
So far best deal I have seen
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #15
TS-Rick
TS-Rick began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook Gen3, iPhone, PRS-505 (Blue)
Wow!

Couldn't resist

Just ordered a blue one.

Great find and thanks for the coupon. It more than saved on the shipping

Price was $165.20 without shipping. Shipping to Boston, Mass was $10.95.

Rick
TS-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote