Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-24-2022, 01:48 AM   #1
apricorn
apricorn can extract oil from cheeseapricorn can extract oil from cheeseapricorn can extract oil from cheeseapricorn can extract oil from cheeseapricorn can extract oil from cheeseapricorn can extract oil from cheeseapricorn can extract oil from cheeseapricorn can extract oil from cheeseapricorn can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Touch Wifi, Kobo Libra 2
Buck, fully-fledged music player for Kindle w/ ID3 tag support

I have an old Kindle Touch stored in my attic, and one of the biggest features I miss about it is its media player. It's archaic, but it was like sounds were coming out of paper!

I have been planning to build a music player for it with album art and everything, and here it is!! I'm proud to present Buck, a music player with ID3 (and thus album art) support along with album based sorting

===== QUICK NOTE =====
It should theoretically work with any e-ink device since I only call FBink and a pre-built mplayer binary, but I can't test it since I don't have other devices. If you have other devices, I'd love to hear how it goes!
===================

INTRODUCTION

E-ink devices have traditionally been only for reading... well no more!

Buck is a fully-fledged music player for e-ink devices.

Features:
- Using the generated Table of Contents, pick the song you wanna play

Click image for larger version

Name:	buck-toc.png
Views:	239
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	192919

- Afterwards, in the search bar, there are two commands you can do
;b - to open up the GUI
;b <track number> - to play up the track of your choice

Name:	buck-search-bar-cmd.png
Views:	172
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	192921

- Here's what the GUI looks like
Tap near the top to control volume and the bottom right to close the UI!

Name:	buck-ui.png
Views:	190
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	192920

** Playlist support is not planned at the moment! I'm not exactly sure how it would work, and I don't personally use playlists

INSTALLATION

Requirements
- USBnet
- KUAL

In the root directory of the GitHub repository is a folder named `buck`. That's everything you'll need.

1. Move the buck folder to your /mnt/us/ folder
Folder structure:
- /mnt/us/buck/buck
- /mnt/us/buck/buck-cli
- /mnt/us/buck/buck-cli.sh
- /mnt/us/buck/kual_buck
- /mnt/us/buck/assets
- /mnt/us/buck/bin
- /mnt/us/buck/lib

2. The KUAL extension
- The /mnt/us/buck/kual_buck folder is the KUAL extension, move it to /mnt/us/extensions

3. The Search Commands
  1. SSH into your Kindle (you'll need USBnet)
  2. mntroot rw
  3. vi /usr/share/webkit-1.0/pillow/debug_cmds.json
  4. Add ";b": "/mnt/us/buck/buck-cli.sh" at the bottom
  5. reboot

And that's it! You can launch it by typing ;b or ;b <track number> in the Kindle search bar

In KUAL, you'll also have an option to restart Buck. This is if you add new songs and don't want to reboot.

A Note About Volume:
100% IS PROBABLY NOT THE BEST VOLUME!
The Kindle Touch is very quiet, and so there is software volume boosting going on.
By default 100% is actually 150%. Although it works for some songs, I recommend
sticking to about 90% (although if you know a song works with 100, go for it!)
It gives the best balance between loudness and compatibility with
pretty much all songs. K, have fun listening!

GITHUB: https://github.com/Bill13579/buck

CREDITS

First off, the amazing FBInk by NiLuJe bundled with USBnet!

The built-in `aplayer` is terrible for advanced control of media playback, and so here I use the great `mplayer` binary built for the Kindle by the user `Smarter`

Link: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ghlight=winamp

WMCtrl and the UI disabling scripts are the product of twobob's awesome work here! It allowed the UI to not conflict with the Kindle's own interface
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=194270

Icons:
https://online.rapidresizer.com/phot...to-pattern.php
https://pixabay.com/vectors/note-sou...concert-24074/
https://pixabay.com/photos/reindeer-...tlers-5635891/

Last edited by issybird; 03-24-2022 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Oversize images attached as thumbnail. Please read the guidelines for limits on image size.
apricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:01 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
That looks mighty cool, kudos .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2022, 11:12 PM   #3
apricorn
apricorn can extract oil from cheeseapricorn can extract oil from cheeseapricorn can extract oil from cheeseapricorn can extract oil from cheeseapricorn can extract oil from cheeseapricorn can extract oil from cheeseapricorn can extract oil from cheeseapricorn can extract oil from cheeseapricorn can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Touch Wifi, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
That looks mighty cool, kudos .
Thanks! One thing bugging me is definitely the Kindle Touch's storage limit
Mine's full already! (I do admit I have 40 albums on it)

I'll most definitely try to port it to one of the Kobo devices with bigger storage

(Hopefully mplayer works with the new BT feature??)
apricorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch, music, native