Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
EricArcadia
Connoisseur
EricArcadia began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7 (2013), Nook Glowlight with Simple Touch
USB Question

Am I the only one that faces very slow USB connection when connecting the Onyx Lynx T68 to the PC, as the PC reads the device when it's connected, but Calibre will take 3 mins to 20 mins to just register all the books and contents of the SD card? I've wasted so much time trying to work around this when it happens.

Last edited by EricArcadia; 08-12-2014 at 03:54 PM.
EricArcadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:03 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
calibre always must scan all the books on the device before registering it. Usually, it will cache the results of the scan in a file called metadata.calibre, on the device. That way calibre only has to look for new stuff.

T68 -- that's the e-ink tablet. Since it is a tablet, it probably has stuff all over the place in the file system. calibre has to scan all of that even if most of it isn't books. You can set calibre so only certain folders are scanned for books, from the device driver. Exclude the places where books never go.

"Configure this device" in the dropdown under "Device" (in the toolbar).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2014, 09:42 PM   #3
EricArcadia
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
calibre always must scan all the books on the device before registering it. Usually, it will cache the results of the scan in a file called metadata.calibre, on the device. That way calibre only has to look for new stuff.

T68 -- that's the e-ink tablet. Since it is a tablet, it probably has stuff all over the place in the file system. calibre has to scan all of that even if most of it isn't books. You can set calibre so only certain folders are scanned for books, from the device driver. Exclude the places where books never go.

"Configure this device" in the dropdown under "Device" (in the toolbar).

Alright, thanks, I'll try that.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:02 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
FWIW, I have almost 4000 books on my T68, and run Calibre Conpanion on it. The initial connection dialogue with Calibre (via the wireless connection of course) takes no more than 30s. If you've not looked at CC, I'd advise doing so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:00 PM   #5
EricArcadia
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
FWIW, I have almost 4000 books on my T68, and run Calibre Conpanion on it. The initial connection dialogue with Calibre (via the wireless connection of course) takes no more than 30s. If you've not looked at CC, I'd advise doing so.
I have CC
Advert
Old 08-15-2014, 02:14 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why are you using a USB connection then? Sorry, I'm a little confused .
Old 08-15-2014, 03:04 PM   #7
EricArcadia
Connoisseur

It's for transferring my books, and other data such audio books or mangas to the SD card. Sometimes the PC won't recognize the SD card that's in my T68, and I have to keep retrying for minutes, and then after that at times the Calibre program is very slow to read all the data on the SD card.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:06 PM   #8
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricArcadia View Post
It's for transferring my books, and other data such audio books or mangas to the SD card. Sometimes the PC won't recognize the SD card that's in my T68, and I have to keep retrying for minutes, and then after that at times the Calibre program is very slow to read all the data on the SD card.
You should be using CCs wireless connection to transfer books.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:01 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Sorry, I perhaps didn't make myself clear before. What I was asking you is why you are using a USB connection with Calibre if you have Calibre Conpanion. CC's wireless connection is so much faster: as I said earlier in the thread, for me it does its initial sync with Calibre in under 30s, whereas you're find that a USB sync can take up to 30m. My question is why you're doing a USB sync at all.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:36 AM   #10
EricArcadia
Connoisseur

I don't use the wireless sync since I think it won't transfer the books to the SD card, but instead the on board memory of the device.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:37 AM   #11
EricArcadia
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
You should be using CCs wireless connection to transfer books.
Well that transfer the books to the SD card, or the onboard memory of the device?
Old 08-16-2014, 03:29 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I don't use the wireless sync since I think it won't transfer the books to the SD card, but instead the on board memory of the device.
No, it will transfer books to wherever you tell CC to store its books. In CC, go to the "Settings" menu and use the "Formats and Folders" option to tell CC which formats to accept and where to store them. I have mine configured to only accept ePub and to store them in a folder called "Books" on the external SD card.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #13
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Well that transfer the books to the SD card, or the onboard memory of the device?
What HarryT said.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:21 AM   #14
EricArcadia
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, it will transfer books to wherever you tell CC to store its books. In CC, go to the "Settings" menu and use the "Formats and Folders" option to tell CC which formats to accept and where to store them. I have mine configured to only accept ePub and to store them in a folder called "Books" on the external SD card.
Alright, thanks I've tried that suggestion you gave, and it worked quite well, and it seems that I just need to be more patient as when I connected to the PC it took some time for the PC to register that there is a SD card attached to the T68. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:21 AM   #15
EricArcadia
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
What HarryT said.
Thanks, by the way, did you ever get a replacement for your T68?