Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-05-2014, 07:36 AM   #31
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I've read 59, and my 8-year-old daughter has read 12 of them.

eP
12? Dang, looks like I need to read another one to catch up to her; and I think it'll be The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I need something deep and heavy this time around.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:37 AM   #32
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I like the idea of the list, books in different catagories for different ages. It would be interesting to know how they compiled the list. I think it would be more fun if they had choosen 10 books for each catagory and let people vote.

I love that I get to count my sons board books into my total count. (grins)

I like the Percy Jackson series, I read them when they come out. I think they do a decent job of passing on information about the myths while telling a new story but I don't think of them the same way I do The Hunger Games.

Truthfully, it looks like they made up catagories to include best sellers in more then anything.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2014, 07:40 AM   #33
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Too many recent bestsellers clogging the list.
For a list of lifetime must-reads you should automatically disqualify anything less than 10 years old; most of those will soon go out of style pretty soon.
Give it even five more years and half the recent books will be forgotten.

Also, not enough SF in there.
As much as I enjoyed Hunger Games it is far less significant to the field than CAVES OF STEEL or THE STARS MY DESTINATION. And I expect other genres have similar issues.

It's just a popularity contest.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:50 AM   #34
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
12? Dang, looks like I need to read another one to catch up to her; and I think it'll be The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I need something deep and heavy this time around.
My daughter recommends that one!
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:05 AM   #35
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do not mock the Very Hungry Caterpillar. The illustrations are awsome, it helps teach colors, counting, and metamorphasis. It is one of the Little Man's favorites. He loves the Saturday page with the chocolate cake, swiss cheese, salami, lollipop, pickle, cupcake, ice cream cone, cherry pie and a few other things that I am forgetting. He always flips back to that one. Although he has shown more interest in counting the oranges, pears, plums, and the like leading into Saturday....
Advert
Old 02-05-2014, 09:21 AM   #36
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Oh, I wasn't mocking. At 8, it no longer holds her interest, but it WAS one of her favorites. Besides teaching the concepts you mentioned (a lot of concepts in one picture book!), The Very Hungry Caterpillar is an excellent example of an interactive book (put your finger through the hole! Make your own caterpillar!), no iPad or other device required.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:27 AM   #37
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
24 on each of the lists. Weird coincidence.

Some odd choices, but an interesting list.

But without Cannery Row in the top five means they are both utter garbage.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:28 AM   #38
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Do not mock the Very Hungry Caterpillar. The illustrations are awsome, it helps teach colors, counting, and metamorphasis. It is one of the Little Man's favorites. He loves the Saturday page with the chocolate cake, swiss cheese, salami, lollipop, pickle, cupcake, ice cream cone, cherry pie and a few other things that I am forgetting. He always flips back to that one. Although he has shown more interest in counting the oranges, pears, plums, and the like leading into Saturday....
It also teaches the days of the week.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:14 AM   #39
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I've read 30 on the Amazon list and 47 on the Goodreads list. I'm very surprised; usually my reading doesn't match up that well with such lists.

The Amazon list is screwy--how can I take seriously a list that includes Valley of the Dolls, but not Gone with the Wind, The Once and Future King, or anything by John Steinbeck or Shirley Jackson?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #40
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I am guessing that the Amazon list was generated based on sales in each of the catagories they choose.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #41
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Mini; Kindle PW2
I'm in at 21 and yes, Valley of the Dolls was one of them.
tlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #42
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The Amazon list seems like a total schlockfest to me. Even the classics are the "popular" ones that middle-brow readers might like. That said, this

Quote:
“We listed the books alphabetically by title,” said Nelson, “because our assumption is that no book is more important than another.”
is absurd. Kinney and Susann are no less important than Dickens and Austen? Which is why the list doesn't deserve to be taken even as seriously as any other effort of this type.

Last edited by issybird; 02-05-2014 at 10:40 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #43
Ken.Hagdal
Connoisseur
Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle

As much as I quite enjoyed Fear and Loathing, I wished they had knocked it off their list for a beefier adult novel like Celine's Journey to the Night's end or Death on the Installment plan. Some Bukowski would have been nice too.

Good call on Catch 22.
Ken.Hagdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #44
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Didn't even notice the link to the Goodreads list, 19 on there and one of them is a book I'd completely forgot all about, which absolutely blew me away when I read it as a teenager - The Color Purple by Alice Walker.

I might just go back and re-read that now.....
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #45
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
22 or so on Amazon, 37 on Goodreads.

Both lists leave a lot to be desired. Agree both are too cluttered w/ recent best sellers.

Said that not much on philosophy or ethics made either list, nor folklore --- quite a few other gaps.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote