Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #16
DonalDuck
The Changer
DonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-books

Device: None
Thanks for the replie covfam. Surely I'll be checking that out.
Two question: CAn you or can you not sideload android apps to kindle fire? and Nook Colour 2 - if it exists how soon will it be out?

Thanks,
DD
DonalDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #17
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
i cant tell if you can sideload on it Donal Duck, amazon is kinda vague and 3rd party sites seem to say you can and some say you cant so honestly i dont know who is right at the moment sorry cant help you there As for the Nook color 2 also known ans the nook acclaim .. not very much is known about it and no releases date yet the most consitant info seems to be that its being called nook acclaim and has an estimated price tag of $349 according to leaked B&N documents but no real info beyond that
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2011, 05:14 PM   #18
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuck View Post
Thanks for the replie covfam. Surely I'll be checking that out.
Two question: CAn you or can you not sideload android apps to kindle fire? and Nook Colour 2 - if it exists how soon will it be out?

Thanks,
DD
By default Android has a setting that prevents installation of sideloaded apps, you have to go to the settings menu and enable installation of sideloaded apps. Barnes&Noble removed that setting from the menu, so you can't sideload on a stock nookcolor, and Amazon might have done the same. If that's the case, you would be required to root the device to gain access to that setting and enable sideloaded apps.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #19
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

lets hope they didnt to a barns and noble to do that because if you have to root the amazon fire to sideload you might as well get a different better 7 inch android device that has alot more ports and functionality.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #20
DonalDuck
The Changer
DonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-books

Thanks for the replies!!
Can HTC Flyer run skype and have a "Host" connection?

Thanks,
DD

Last edited by DonalDuck; 10-27-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #21
covfam
Addict

skype officially supported the htc flyer in august (i dont use skype so i dont know what official support means) here is the linkie to the article with screenshots http://thisismynext.com/2011/08/04/s...-ii-sensation/ i hope this helps you
Old 10-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #22
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
There are reviews up in the Kobo Vox forum. Looks good!
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:53 PM   #23
DonalDuck
The Changer

there is one fear i got about htc flyer: will it, you know, be forgotten and have no upgrades
and then will the games require a big, good processor and so on... should i get a hp touchpad that is cheaper?

PS: about hp (i like the processor, but it's big, heavy and not thin) vs. htc (i like htc size and a camera on the back and android)

Thanks,
DD
Old 10-31-2011, 07:09 PM   #24
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I think the Fire will be a great purchase compared to the Vox. I just think with the backing of Amazon you can't go wrong. I pre-ordered it and look forward too it.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:21 PM   #25
DonalDuck
The Changer

thanks for your replie, but i was referrering between the htc flyer and the hp touch...

Thanks,
DD
Old 11-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #26
covfam
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuck View Post
there is one fear i got about htc flyer: will it, you know, be forgotten and have no upgrades
and then will the games require a big, good processor and so on... should i get a hp touchpad that is cheaper?

PS: about hp (i like the processor, but it's big, heavy and not thin) vs. htc (i like htc size and a camera on the back and android)

Thanks,
DD
The flyer has one of the largest processers on the market,its just not dual core. But several tests are showing that when gaming its as good or better than most tegra dual core thats in 90% of the tablets out there the reason is that most app software still doesnt optimise dual core usage.

Currently the Tegra dual core is more of a sales gimick for most apps.This doesnt that it doesnt help in some programs..i know some games are optimized for it. but currently a relativly small amount do.

As for support? Well currently the track record for android tablet support is pretty iffy so a device from any manufacturer not named apple is a gamble its up to you to see if its worth it.

For a foolproof gaming tablet the only one out there is the ipad2... yes its a walled garden but nothing so far games better than ipad2 and nobody has as many high end 3d games as ipad2... downside is the BIG price and walled garden

Also if you keep waiting for the other big thing you will never be happy because every electronic device is behid when you take it home.. for example i purchased a Motorola Electrify (the cousin to the motorola photon 4g) this weekend and love it and its a very powerfull phone but there are already devices comming out with more features, You will never be able to keep up with Device technology unless your wealthy good luck with your device
Old 11-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #27
DonalDuck
The Changer

Thanks cofvam. you rock!
I'll be getting the htc flyer for xmas!

DD