Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-25-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
Haloman800
Haloman800 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Which Kindle should I get (HAS to be a Kindle.. read on)

I received the Kindle 3 in Sept. as a gift, I love it. I don't read very often but I did quite a bit more when I got the kindle.. Anyhow my Kindle broke (not sure how), so Amazon replaced it for me. Around a month later, this one breaks too. I've never dropped it, I'm to only one that uses it, I keep it in a case (lighted leather), temperature never below 60, etc. Anyhow so this time in lieu of the circumstances, they said I could have a $139 credit towards any kindle device..

So now, the question is; which Kindle should I get? It's pretty much just a choice between the Kindle Touch & the Fire.. But I'm not sure if I want to read off a tablet, the LCD screen would bother me.. I've always wanted a tablet though, I have an Android smartphone though so I can't see much a reason to justify owning an Android tablet.

tl;dr, Should I get the Kindle Touch or the Fire, & why?
Haloman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:12 AM   #2
Torwan
Zealot
Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 (3G)
It's a question of what you want to do.

Read? Kindle Touch. Why? Because reading on eInk is a lot better and smoother for your eyes. Plus, the battery-capacity! Weeks instead of hours.

Multimedia-content (video and stuff)? Kindle Fire. Why? Because no other Kindle can do that.
Torwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 04:47 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haloman800 View Post
I received the Kindle 3 in Sept. as a gift, I love it. I don't read very often but I did quite a bit more when I got the kindle..
Since you don't read very often, you might consider the Fire. It's a 7" Android tablet with some limitations that may or may not be important to you. Missing hardware includes GPS, compass, cameras, mSD card slot, and FM radio. It's also locked into Amazon's ecosystem of music, videos, apps, books, cloud, etc.

Don't expect to see Amazon's competitors on the Fire. Some of the more significant apps missing from Amazon's Appstore include Blockbuster, Dropbox, Google (their entire app suite), Hulu Plus, Netflix, Nook, OverDrive Media Console, Pandora, Sony Reader, and Zinio. Eventually, the Fire will get rooted and full access to the Android Market will allow you to get most of these apps.

Storage is also restricted on the Fire. It comes with about 6GB of user available storage and no way to expand it further. Amazon is counting on you to use their cloud to store your music, videos, etc. It's free for Amazon content, but not for content you aquire elsewhere. Keep in mind that access to the cloud requires an internet connection through wifi. No problem when you're at home or a friends, but how do you access the cloud to retrieve some movies when you're in your car traveling down the freeway on vacation?

I considered the Fire, but quickly ruled it out because it didn't have a way to expand storage. Audiobooks and videos really burn through the GBs. Cloud storage is out because of the limitations on where you can access it and the additional cost involved in purchasing it if you don't buy content from Amazon.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Depends how much functionality you want.

The currently available dumbed-down no-touch no-keyboard is fine if all you want to do is read fiction.

The Touch version has no buttons. Personally I couldn't live with that. Maybe the browser is better than on the keyboard version? That might matter to you.

If I was going to get a Kindle, I'd get the keyboard version. Yeah, the keyboard is clunky, but it's got a lot of functionality (sound, text to speech, maybe 3G free browsing?) that the others lack. Apparently the letters rub off the keys on the black version, so a white one might be a good idea.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Using both the Kindle & Sony (which is like the Kindle Touch), I must admit that I prefer the one-handedness of the Kindle. Its more convenient than having to take my other hand and swipe.
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Since you don't read very often, you might consider the Fire. ...
ditto
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:32 AM   #7
Haloman800
Haloman800 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thank you everyone for your suggestions & insight, tubemonkey especially for your very detailed & thorough post, I did not know that the Fire doesn't support microSD cards, that rules out that option for me.

I'm going to wait until the Kindle Touch is out, until there are some reviews & comparisons between it & other touch e-readers, especially the Nook. Depending on which I like better (nook or kindle), I'm going to either buy a $140 kindle touch wifi & sell it, then purchase an $80 nook touch refurb, or spend an extra $10 on a kindle 3G with ads.

I'll bump this if it's still on page 1 when I make my decision.. But seeing as the Kindle Touch isn't out yet & there are sure to be many topics opened about it, I doubt it will be.

Thanks!

p.s. Does anyone know of a place that would have a Kindle 4 on display that you could try? Staples has had some of the others, maybe them?
Haloman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
My local Best Buy had the new Kindle on display in addition to the Kindle Keyboard, the new Sony, Nook STR.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote