Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
cavi
Connoisseur
cavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enough

Device: prs600
vga mirror questions

okay, with the new vga mirror cable will it be possible to send the signal to a video projector?
Also what software is best for slide presentations like powerpoint?
cavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

There has been a VGA cable for quite a while. It works only with apps that are programmed to allow it. I have used my iPad 1 running 4.3 with it to mirror to a monitor and some programs work. I don't know which will do PPT though. I assume if it works with a monitor it will work with a projector.

I have successfully used PDF Reader Pro with the VGA cable. It isn't a PPT program but you can save PPT to PDF and then show them that way.

Last edited by jswinden; 03-24-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Advert
Old 03-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Unless you have an iPad 2. It is reported to fully work on that platform.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:27 AM   #4
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
There has been a VGA cable for quite a while. It works only with apps that are programmed to allow it. I have used my iPad 1 running 4.3 with it to mirror to a monitor and some programs work. I don't know which will do PPT though. I assume if it works with a monitor it will work with a projector.

I have successfully used PDF Reader Pro with the VGA cable. It isn't a PPT program but you can save PPT to PDF and then show them that way.
I think you are using the term "mirroring" wrong. There is "output" which is for single apps and "mirroring" which means that you can see exactly what's happening in the iPad.

True mirroring I got from the iPad 1 by jail breaking it and installing "display out" from Cydia (with the VGA cable). just $3 and it mirrors the entirety of the iPad. Very good for presenting PDFs as all PowerPoint apps suck on the iPad, or you have to convert each and very single graph to an image >_>... And yeah, yiu can watch ANY video that plays and play angry birdsvon the big screen =P

But I really doubt that the iPad 2 has true mirroring as apple wants to enforce DRM or whatever it's called for movies.

Last edited by darknessangel; 03-25-2011 at 03:30 AM.
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknessangel View Post
I think you are using the term "mirroring" wrong. There is "output" which is for single apps and "mirroring" which means that you can see exactly what's happening in the iPad.

True mirroring I got from the iPad 1 by jail breaking it and installing "display out" from Cydia (with the VGA cable). just $3 and it mirrors the entirety of the iPad. Very good for presenting PDFs as all PowerPoint apps suck on the iPad, or you have to convert each and very single graph to an image >_>... And yeah, yiu can watch ANY video that plays and play angry birdsvon the big screen =P

But I really doubt that the iPad 2 has true mirroring as apple wants to enforce DRM or whatever it's called for movies.
True mirroring is in fact a feature of the iPad 2 with the HDMI cable. You can see exactly what is happening on the iPad screen. So in the case of PPTs, you could use Keynote to present your Powerpoint, and you'd see not just the app output, but the Keynote app on the iPad 2 screen as you click on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCNoyoxnfeE

You can watch movies on the big screen as well-but it doesn't show up on the iPad 2 *while* it is playing on the HDTV-but this is less a DRM issue and more a processor issue, I believe. Airplay works similarly with movies in this respect. Limited to 720p for movies, but all the movies you buy on iTunes are 720p anyways.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
True mirroring is in fact a feature of the iPad 2 with the HDMI cable. You can see exactly what is happening on the iPad screen. So in the case of PPTs, you could use Keynote to present your Powerpoint, and you'd see not just the app output, but the Keynote app on the iPad 2 screen as you click on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCNoyoxnfeE

You can watch movies on the big screen as well-but it doesn't show up on the iPad 2 *while* it is playing on the HDTV-but this is less a DRM issue and more a processor issue, I believe. Airplay works similarly with movies in this respect. Limited to 720p for movies, but all the movies you buy on iTunes are 720p anyways.
The big question is... does it work with the VGA adapter? Because that'll be the standard for at least 5-10 years for presenting. And you cannot change the output definition with the ipad2... with Display Out you can (640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768), you can even stretch it (16:10 and 16:9) and even show taps.

Tell me you can do that in iOS 4.3 and I update. Otherwise... no gracias, señor!
Old 03-25-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknessangel View Post
The big question is... does it work with the VGA adapter? Because that'll be the standard for at least 5-10 years for presenting. And you cannot change the output definition with the ipad2... with Display Out you can (640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768), you can even stretch it (16:10 and 16:9) and even show taps.

Tell me you can do that in iOS 4.3 and I update. Otherwise... no gracias, señor!
Mirroring doesn't work with the iPad 1, or with the VGA adaptor, so the update won't help you anyways.

VGA still being the standard in 10 years? I doubt it.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Mirroring doesn't work with the iPad 1, or with the VGA adaptor, so the update won't help you anyways.

VGA still being the standard in 10 years? I doubt it.
Mirroring does work with VGA as well as HDMI for iPad 2! I suspect it may be a bug in 4.3 that Mirroring of VGA does not work for iPad 1 but for now it does not. I am not sure anyone has jail broken 4.3 yet.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

VGA out to a monitor was working with some programs on iPad 1 running 4.3. Now it is totally broken on 4.3.1. There are multiple (literally dozens) of vertical and horizontal lines displaying on the monitor. I'm not sure if Apple unintentionally broke this function are decided to sabotage it for iPad 1s.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
darknessangel
Addict

Evidently no one is reading my posts. A simple app from Cydia called "Display Out" makes mirroring with iPad 1 possible.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Not everyone wants to jailbreak their iPad. I sure don't.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:10 PM   #12
darknessangel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Not everyone wants to jailbreak their iPad. I sure don't.
I also didn't want to, but for presentations it's really worth it. You can really make presentations with the fotos app instead of the crashy quick office. It wasn't an impulse decision, I tried and tested different apps with the VGA adapter and a Beamer before doing it. And I still don't regret it.

In addition, if you have 4.2.1 is really easy. plus SBS settings is really cool.

Last edited by darknessangel; 03-25-2011 at 11:15 PM.