Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 01-22-2015, 06:25 AM   #1096
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished Elfhome, moving on to Wood Sprites, the fourth in the series. I'm really enjoying the narration, now that I've been listening to it for a while.
Your mentioning the series got me to go back and start reading these books. I read the first book (or parts of the first book) sometime ago, but for some reason never read the others. Liked the first three. Let us know how you like Wood Sprites.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:18 PM   #1097
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I've finished The Good Girl, and I'm not sure what I think of it, though it was interesting enough for me to plan on reading the author's next book. It had the almost obligatory plot twist, and I think some careless review must have hinted at it, because I had a vague expectation of what was coming.

The narrators were pretty good. I liked Lindy Nettleton least--her voice was appropriate for the character (Eve, the mother), but I simply didn't care for it (or for the character, who was supposed to be sympathetic). I'm not sure if I would have liked the character more on the printed page, or if my dislike of the voice unduly influenced me.

Not sure what I want to listen to next.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2015, 02:35 PM   #1098
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I read most of January's MobileRead Book Club selection, The Iron King by Maurice Druon, on my Kindle but finished the remaining chapters as an audiobook. I liked the book and found it to be very enjoyable to read, but as hectic as things in my life are at the moment, I found it easier to give it the Whispersync treatment.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:48 PM   #1099
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Your mentioning the series got me to go back and start reading these books. I read the first book (or parts of the first book) sometime ago, but for some reason never read the others. Liked the first three. Let us know how you like Wood Sprites.
I like Wood Sprites. I like the narrator and I like the story. Of course, that being said, it's NOT a Tinker story. Tinker basically never appears. Most of the story is set in NYC. Also, this is even more a YA story than the rest of the series, with the protagonists being 9 year olds. But I still liked it, a lot.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:03 AM   #1100
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I like Wood Sprites. I like the narrator and I like the story. Of course, that being said, it's NOT a Tinker story. Tinker basically never appears. Most of the story is set in NYC. Also, this is even more a YA story than the rest of the series, with the protagonists being 9 year olds. But I still liked it, a lot.
I'm pretty sure the first three books can't be described as YA.

Thanks for the info. I like YA, so I'll give it a try.
Advert
Old 01-24-2015, 10:20 AM   #1101
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
I finished two audiobooks so far in January, Honor in enemy hands by David Webber and The Iron King by Maurice Druon. Enjoyed both the books but not sure if want to continue with either series.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:15 PM   #1102
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the first three books can't be described as YA.

Thanks for the info. I like YA, so I'll give it a try.
Well, there are aspects of the first three books that are sort of YA (and after all, Tinker is 18 and Oilcan low 20's.) I think the third book, Elfhome, leans the most that way. But Wood Sprites is definitely YA. IAC, I'm enjoying it a lot.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:23 AM   #1103
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I just finished Ex-Heroes by Peter Clines, listening and reading. It was a good pulp adventure that could as easily have been a comic book. I've made a couple starts on The Order War, next in the Recluce Saga, but I'm just not in the mood for that kind of fantasy. I might just grab the next Ex book.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:37 AM   #1104
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Well, there are aspects of the first three books that are sort of YA (and after all, Tinker is 18 and Oilcan low 20's.) I think the third book, Elfhome, leans the most that way. But Wood Sprites is definitely YA. IAC, I'm enjoying it a lot.
IMPO, The first three books are kind of an interesting cross between YA and romance. The main characters are younger (i.e. YA), but there is definitely way more sex than most YA have.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:57 AM   #1105
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
IMPO, The first three books are kind of an interesting cross between YA and romance. The main characters are younger (i.e. YA), but there is definitely way more sex than most YA have.
True on the sexual content. But however we classify them, quite enjoyable.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:15 PM   #1106
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I think I'm giving up on Daniel Palmer. I listened to Stolen last year, and thought it was OK, though the protagonists were not likable and story veered off into improbability. Now I've just finished listening to Desperate, and while the author did make the POV character more sympathetic, the plot was even more improbable. In both books the premise was interesting--identity theft from the wrong person in Stolen, surrogate mother coming between husband and wife in Desperate--and the initial development of the story held my interest, but then they just went haywire.

It's hard to discuss a thriller without spoilers, but without being specific, I'll just say I'm not happy when villains in thrillers seem to be all-powerful, all-knowing masterminds and master manipulators who have little else to do but plague the poor hero.

I like Peter Berkrot well enough as a narrator (he narrated both these books), except when he does a female voice. Ouch!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:12 PM   #1107
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
True on the sexual content. But however we classify them, quite enjoyable.
I agree, quite enjoyable. I'll have to try the first one as an audiobook.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:30 PM   #1108
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Isn't Diskworld humor frequently visual, requiring reading of the words? I've never listened to any of his stuff read aloud. I gather you still find it worthwhile?
Oh my gosh, if you've never heard Nigel Planer narrate any of the Discworld books, you need to try one. There's a gal who narrates some of them as well (such as the witch ones) and she's good as well.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:38 PM   #1109
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Finished Elfhome, moving on to Wood Sprites, the fourth in the series. I'm really enjoying the narration, now that I've been listening to it for a while.
Finished Wood Sprites, I want MORE.

Decided to read Sloop of War, by Alexander Kent, and narrated by Michael Jayston. This is number 5 (?) in the Richard Bolitho series. This is a series I've read many years ago, and am now picking up again because the books are finally becoming available in North America in both eBook and audio book formats. They're not Aubrey/Maturin, but still very enjoyable. The narrator, however, is no better than a 3.5 or so.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:25 AM   #1110
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Oh, you're in for a treat. And while the narrator isn't a familiar voice, I think he's absolutely perfect for these books.
Finished Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch and the narrator is definitely a delight I enjoyed the book and will be adding some more in the series to my library soon Moving on to Deadline(Virgil Flowers 8) by John Sandford
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations