Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-29-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
FBreader vs adobeviewer .. configuration

Hi all /wave

Just a note that im using the PB360.

I have a question reguarding the FBreader and if it could be set up to do just a couple of things that the adobeviewer seems to do.

First off as a new user I find both of them functional and useable, what do YOU like about one vs the other?

what one do you prefer more?

Now on to my questions:

In adobeviewer, I think over all this would be very useable exect for the fact I have this floating page number on the right hand of the screen. It seems to be there every other page.

Is there any way to remove it?

In FBreader, I do enjoy this reader and the fact you can customize it more it seems.

But, is there a way to set it up so that the book cover picter displays as one full page when you first open a book ( granted I just now finally got all my books converted and installed with calibre ( man it toook a while to import / configure them in calibre at first ))?

Right now at least on the book im reading the book cover is reduced in size in fbreader, but full screen in adobeviewer.

also, in fbreader, is there a way to have new chapters start on a new page etc? It is currently running all together ( same book in adobeviewer, the chapters start in new page etc )

Thank you for your help ..

and hope you all are having as much fun with your pocketbooks as i am.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
FWIW; I use FBReader (the add-in version) almost exclusively.
I have it configured with Georgia 22, text embolden, large margins, no status bar.
Cover images expand to full screen most of the time. It doesn't annoy me if they don't. (Sorry!)

I only use ADE when I can't help it because:

1- the "ADE page numbers" on the side are hard-wired into the render engine. Apparently they cannot be removed even if the guys in Kiev wanted to.

2- there is no user font choice allowed. On the other hand, the ebook coder can hard-wire whatever formatting they want and force it upon the reader.

3- There is no margin and no white-space control to help readability.

4- I don't believe it is fair or proper to require the reader to resort to manually reformatting an ebook file in an external tool like Calibre just to get a book to display properly.

That's just me, of course.
And yes, I'm having a lot of fun with my PB360. Most of it when I can stay in FBReader.
(If it weren't for Calibre formatting my Economist subscription with ADE bias, I'd have even more fun.)

YMMV, of course.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2010, 01:23 AM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by askyn View Post
also, in fbreader, is there a way to have new chapters start on a new page etc? It is currently running all together
Install another FBRedader from here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65865
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:01 AM   #4
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Thank you,

I already installed 0.8.1 modified by SciFiFan, JAW, GrayNM ( as per the line on the reader =) )

I assume that is the current version of fbreader ( I downloaded it from that posting even before i got my 360 in the mail ROFL ) and installed it same day i got the reader =)
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote