Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-27-2008, 01:20 PM   #136
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir

Great post, RM. But I think the little man has gone......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:20 PM   #137
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Do you think my old Kindle will not work when a supposed "new" Kindle comes out??
Absolutely. This is tech -- there will always be something new (and maybe even -- but not always -- better) around the corner. Often cheaper. That is a good thing. We each make our own informed decisions as to when to jump in. Waiting for the next model means we forego use of the current one in the meantime.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:06 PM   #138
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Absolutely. This is tech -- there will always be something new (and maybe even -- but not always -- better) around the corner. Often cheaper. That is a good thing. We each make our own informed decisions as to when to jump in. Waiting for the next model means we forego use of the current one in the meantime.
Well, it may be tech ... but I've never been in a position that just because something new came out, the something old that had worked just fine before suddenly didn't.

For example ... Windows brought out Vista. That didn't mean that XP suddenly stopped working ... and thank heavens. Sony brought out the 505 ... did that render all of the 500s non-functional?? Granted, they were no longer the bleeding edge of Sony ebook readers, but they still worked.

I don't care if there is something new around the corner with Kindle. Even if they come out with a totally new design ... the Kindle I purchased will likely still work, and I will likely still be able to read books on it. So, when you say "absolutely" ... I'd have to say I disagree with you. I do not believe that my current Kindle will become unusable simply because they come out with a mark II.

Of course "waiting" for the next model means that you don't purchase the current model. However, that is most emphatically not what I asked. I asked if the Kindle mark I would be rendered non-functional by the mark II (if and when that comes out). You replied "absolutely" ... and I really doubt that will be the case.

If people keep waiting for the latest and greatest to come on the market ... they will never jump in anywhere. That's just their loss.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:24 PM   #139
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

Great post, RM. But I think the little man has gone......
I am always amazed at people who seem to be convinced that everyone must pay attention and agree with their personal opinions. They state them as absolute fact ... and then ridicule anyone who disagrees.

Yes, they have a right to their personal opinion. And ... everyone else has a right to think that personal opinion is a load of crapola. That's sort of how the world works. However, these types (and there is a specific type) generally figure that if they belittle anyone who disagrees with them ... or if they shout loudly enough about their right to their view ... that somehow they are going to convert people to their way of thinking.

Actually, most of the time what they do is drive people off to the opposition camp, if for no other reason than anything starts to sound better than what they are yammering on about.

The big pink rhino they are refusing to see (or to acknowledge) is something called credibility. They take their own credibility as a given, which it is not. Credibility is something that you build up over time. Sort of like with a book or movie critic ... if you find that you never ever agree with his opinions, then that critic lacks credibility for you .. and the bottom line is that (for you) what that critic has to say is of no importance to you.

Granted, some critics are given more credibility and clout than I believe they should have, but then some people generally are given more credibility and clout than I believe they should have. But ... my beliefs are my personal opinion, and like all personal opinions, they just don't count all that much most of the time. (Of course, put me in a room full of people with whom I actually do have credibility ... and you would think they counted for a whole lot .... ).

To get back to my point ... it's a type. In general they:

1. Have very strong opinions;
2. Which they will pronounce at the top of their lungs;
3. With no factual basis of any kind in support;
4. Demand instant credibility and respect; and
5. Tend to insult anyone who disagrees with them;
6. While pontificating about their "right" to say what they want.

What they also don't seem to "get" is that the ability of an insult to offend is directly proportional to the target's respect for the speaker. Respect, like credibility, is one of those things that takes time to build. I don't personally give people many chances to lose my respect ... once lost, the next stop for me is the ignore button ... and Razi has now joined that group of people who, as far as I can tell, have nothing particularly intelligent to say ... about anything.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:26 PM   #140
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
If people keep waiting for the latest and greatest to come on the market ... they will never jump in anywhere. That's just their loss.
Exactly my point.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:30 PM   #141
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
This argument was a month old. Let's not stir it up again, please. Moderators have already spoken to various participants about their use of derogatory language toward one another, and things had settled down. Let's keep it that way.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:34 PM   #142
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Exactly my point.
Well, the way you responded to my post made it sound more like you were saying that my current Kindle would become non-functional when version 2 came out.

If you point is that people should just get on the damn train and stop waiting for one that has seats exactly the right color to suit them ... then, hell yes.

The important thing isn't which reader someone buys. If they have any interest in reading digital content on something other than a computer or a pda ... then they should just freaking buy something.

If the device of their dreams comes out the next damn day ... then:

1. Sell device one on ebay and cut your loses; or
2. Give it to a friend who cannot afford to buy any ebook reader, much less the latest and greatest; and
3. Get on with your LIFE (assuming, of course, that you have one to get on with).

But .... you gotta jump on one of the trains at some point, or you just get left standing there until you have pretty much missed all the trains. Bad idea that.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #143
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
This argument was a month old. Let's not stir it up again, please. Moderators have already spoken to various participants about their use of derogatory language toward one another, and things had settled down. Let's keep it that way.
Yes ma'am, Nekosan.

But ... it is ok to put Razi on my ignore list, yes???
Old 08-27-2008, 05:39 PM   #144
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Yes ma'am, Nekosan.

But ... it is ok to put Razi on my ignore list, yes???
Soitenly. In fact, revel that you have that option! (As a moderator, I don't. :sigh: )
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:57 PM   #145
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Soitenly. In fact, revel that you have that option! (As a moderator, I don't. :sigh: )
Since you put it that way (got to love those Three Stooges references) ... I will.

This is me ... reveling!!

Tags
duck!