Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you think an iPad Mini will ship this year?
I believe it is for real, and I want one 32 35.16%
I believe it is for real, not interested in one 45 49.45%
I don't think it is coming soon, but I'm interested 6 6.59%
I don't think it is coming soon, not interested 6 6.59%
I will only get one if it blends 2 2.20%
Other (explain in post) 0 0%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #16
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...news-tech.html
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #17
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I have enough tablets for now, so I'm not interested.
Just my thoughts on it too. I've got the 3rd gen. iPad and a Nexus 7 so I feel my bases are covered.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #18
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://www.informationweek.com/hardw...know/240008988
Old 10-14-2012, 05:08 AM   #19
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by injapan View Post
do away with the ipad3? wow, thats only a few months ago!
you must be rich!
LOL

if its any good I can wait, I have ipad3 and I like it, a little heavy etc but its 50/50
Not rich. Arthritis in my hands and wrists getting worse. Cant hold the larger tablet for long periods.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #20
rlowe
Enthusiast
rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3; Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Good article. After reading this I'm pretty sure that the Mini will have the price of $399 or so, but anyway this device is going to be the iPod Touch Killer.
rlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #21
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Of course i believe this! They will launch it this oct 23rd
greenyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #22
robertc88
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlowe View Post
Good article. After reading this I'm pretty sure that the Mini will have the price of $399 or so, but anyway this device is going to be the iPod Touch Killer.
A no go for me at $399 to tell the truth. I rather get the Ipad2 at that price.

No Ipod touch for me either. I have better toys at lower prices although no access to Apple ecosystem obviously.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #23
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlowe View Post
If that's true, then apple is out of touch with reality. That'd be double what the competition has on offer. I think $299 is more likely, which is already a 50% premium. Apple tends to have a 50% margin or so, and we know the kindle fire is sold at cost ($199), so extrapolating gives you the $299 figure.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:58 AM   #24
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Here we go. It's that time of year again. Get ready for 8 iPad mini models to choose from.

Euro prices leaked.

i suppose 8GB is still do-able if all you use is email, web and facebook.
at these prices now they'd have to have retina.

Mini iPad WiFi-only (choice of Black or White):

iPad Mini WiFi 8 GB - 249, - Euro
Mini iPad WiFi 16 GB - 349, - Euro
Mini iPad WiFi 32 GB - 449, - Euro
Mini iPad WiFi 64 GB - 549, - Euro

iPad Mini with wireless (optional Black or White):

Mini iPad WiFi + Cellular 8 GB - 349, - Euro
Mini iPad WiFi + Cellular 16 GB - 449, - Euro
Mini iPad WiFi + Cellular 32 GB - 594, - Euro
Mini iPad WiFi + Cellular 64 GB - 649, - Euro
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #25
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Saw those prices posted earlier on another forum... I would probably want a 64GB... but I shan't be able to afford it, alas.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #26
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Hmm, so in pounds that would be a range of about 199-525.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #27
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Not rich. Arthritis in my hands and wrists getting worse. Cant hold the larger tablet for long periods.
I feel the same. I desperately wanted an iPad and bought one when I had a savings plan mature only to find that a lot of the time the RA and Carpal Tunnel which badly affect my hands/wrists make holding it painful after a brief period of time. So I find the Nexus 7 (or a dedicated ereader) easier to hold. Mind you my Mum totally loves the iPad so it's not money wasted.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #28
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Surprised that they don't think it will be retina density. For a 7.85" screen that works out to about 170ppi (assuming 1024x768). Seems not very competitive.

If they elongate the screen to 1200x768 (runs current iPad apps letterboxed) then that would push it closer to 200ppi. That would be a little better, and would be a better aspect ratio for video. However it is getting close to where fingertips will be too large.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #29
jswinden
Nameless Being

The original Nook Color and original Fire are both 1024 x 600 which is 169 ppi, and both are easy to read on without eyestrain. At least for me they are. The iPad1 and iPad2 have 132 ppi, but they do cause me to have eyestrain. So somewhere between 132 ppi and 169 ppi is the resolution at which my eyestrain will go away.

If the leaked photos are accurate it looks like the Mini will have a 16 x 9 screen much like the smaller iPhone5. So if they keep the width pixel count at 768 to match the iPad2, then the dimensions would be around 1365 x 768, which would have a 200 ppi resolution. Not as good as my iPad3 with 268 ppi, but more than adequate for reading over long durations. (BTW, the Nexus 7 and Fire HD both have 216 ppi.)

Unfortunately though I think the iPad Mini looks fairly big compared to a Nexus 7, and not much smaller than my iPad3. That coupled with what will surely be a high price tag of $350 or above will make it look not too interesting to me.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:43 AM   #30
pastanley
Zealot
pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 4, Kindle fire HD 10
i am so sick of apple rumors. They are nothing but ploys to drive up the stock market and to keep everyone interested in apple computers. THats it in a nutshell folks
pastanley is offline   Reply With Quote