Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-25-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
iOS 4.2 kills the orientation lock switch

Orientation switch becomes mute

I haven't used multi-tasking in iOS 4, so I don't have a sense of how much hassle were talking about using a software lock, but i really like the switch right now.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:53 AM   #2
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
I personally never use the orientation lock, so it won't be a problem for me. And a mute button? I think it will be removed in iPad 2.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
I use the orientation lock frequently, so if it gets eliminated, I'll be pissed. My question would be, who would use a Mute control? Not me.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
That will be one update I will not be quick to make, as I use the orientation lock button almost all the time.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I like the orientation lock as an external button, but I like groups more (multi tasking is nice, too), so I will be updating And it's not too much hassle to use the software switch
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
Rob_E
Connoisseur
Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: iPod Touch/iPad
I haven't used a 4.x device yet, so I can't be sure, but I got the impression that the orientation lock was easily accessible from the multitasking menu, accessed via the home button. And some applications have built-in, software orientation locks which I already find more handy than the switch, partly because my case leaves the switch recessed and slightly hard to access. I look forward to a more easily accessible software option, and then I expect to forget all about that little mute/orientation switch.

And I agree with ShortNCuddlyAm in that the other features of 4.2 are far more compelling to me than the orientation lock, so even if it is more of a hassle, I expect to upgrade.
Rob_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
I've never used the orientation lock. The software orientation lock in iOS4.1 is easy to use. Double tap the home button and the multitasking bar comes up.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
That is such a horrible change to not even allow people the choice of which functionality they want given that the lock orientation switch has been there for about 6 months, it is fair enough that they want consistency across their devices, but they could easily do that by allowing all devices to choose with mute being the default or something.

I don't use the orientation lock switch very much, but the times when I do it is extremely useful, whereas a mute switch seems far less useful since I would pause any media I was playing on ipad instead.

Last edited by Crowl; 10-26-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #9
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
I personally never use the orientation lock, so it won't be a problem for me. And a mute button? I think it will be removed in iPad 2.
I don't see why they would remove it. The iPhone has a mute switch. And actually the pre-launch iPad used the switch for mute; they changed it to an orientation lock at the last minute.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:23 AM   #10
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I was surprised first that the screen lock button suddenly was a mute button, but actually, after using the software lock, I like that much better. It was always pretty hard to use the lock switch with the iPad in a case.
As all functions of the iPad get operated via the home button and the touch screen anyways, I rarely use any switches. And I only use volume buttons if I want to write something on the on screen keyboard as acoustical feedback. Otherwise, my volume is on mute.

Is there an option where you can define that all sounds are off except for the keyboard???
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:23 AM   #11
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
I don't see why they would remove it. The iPhone has a mute switch. And actually the pre-launch iPad used the switch for mute; they changed it to an orientation lock at the last minute.
It makes sense for a phone to have a mute button, but I don't see why a tablet should have one.. But then again, they say that they are trying to target bussiness more.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:36 AM   #12
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I guess they were lazy, and made that a feature for both iPad and iPhone. But I don't see why the change. Sure, a mute button is handy, but pressing the volume button and holding 1 second already did that, why change it and bother many customers?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:44 AM   #13
David Munch
Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I guess they were lazy, and made that a feature for both iPad and iPhone. But I don't see why the change. Sure, a mute button is handy, but pressing the volume button and holding 1 second already did that, why change it and bother many customers?
Well, it only takes on press more with the new software-based oritentation lock, and with a large tablet, it isn't as prone to changes in gravity as a phone for instance.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #14
leonardfrye
Enthusiast
leonardfrye began at the beginning.

Device: KindlePW
I don't know about the iPhone but on the iPod Touch the software lock forces the device to be in portrait mode. As far as I know you can not lock the device in landscape mode. Does anyone know if this will be different in iOS 4.2? I'm pretty sure that with the hardware switch on the iPad you could lock your device in either portrait or landscape mode. Maybe now we will be stuck with portrait mode lock only.
leonardfrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:33 AM   #15
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardfrye View Post
I don't know about the iPhone but on the iPod Touch the software lock forces the device to be in portrait mode. As far as I know you can not lock the device in landscape mode. Does anyone know if this will be different in iOS 4.2? I'm pretty sure that with the hardware switch on the iPad you could lock your device in either portrait or landscape mode. Maybe now we will be stuck with portrait mode lock only.
It is the same with the iPhone (certainly the 3GS) - however, the iPhone only has the main screen(s) available in portrait - the iPad can have them in portrait or landscape, so that may make a difference.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote