Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

View Poll Results: Should the jetBook now come with DRM?
Yup, Adobe DRM would be great 11 34.38%
Sure, eReader (B&N's) would be sweet 7 21.88%
I generally want DRM but don't wanna pay extra 2 6.25%
Nah, i'm satisfied with my jetBook as is 12 37.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
The jetBook DRM Poll

Should the jetBook now come with DRM?

1. Yup, Adobe DRM would be great

2. Sure, eReader (B&N's) would be sweet

3. I generally want DRM but don't wanna pay extra

4. Nah, i'm satisfied with my jetBook as is
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
No, I won't buy DRM books unless I can strip the DRM. So it's a moot point for me.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
akira28
Nameless Being

The lack of DRM support did not stop me from buying the best reading device on the market. With the conversion tools out there I might have thought twice.

I have mixed feelings about DRM. Philosophically I don't mind it as it is supposed to protect the author. But realistically I am opposed to it because it can dictate how you use something you purchased. Up to this point it has not interfered too much with how I want to read. There are some books in an eReader format that I own that I would like to use on the Jetbook. But due to software differences they don't work so well. But in the end I am rather proud that it is DRM free.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But, think of the average shopper at say Bed, Bath & Beyond. They'll not be able to deal with a DRM free Jetbook. So yes, DRM would be good to have for them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I have a friend who asked me about eReaders. Tom is an average computer user, but nothing neare a power user. He does not have the knowledge or patience to deal with stripping DRM or converting file formats.

I could not, in good conscience advise him to get a jetBook, even though I love mine, I recognize he would not.

I steered him to a five inch Astak, and he is now eagerly awaiting delivery.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 11:35 PM   #6
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
None of the above.

PDFs are almost always a pain to read due to arrow - page turn brain/finger flipping.
eReader makes me cringe because its M$ and I run linux and Mac. Never tried it, though.
Maybe mobipocket.. but I fear Amazon will kill it.

What I'd like to see is perhaps secure ePub where its not tied to a vendor and is designed to show on varying displays. Personally I'd probably use the library interface the most and I think Overdrive uses PDF.. so if I have to pick one PDF.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:31 AM   #7
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I am really torn here... Ideally I don't want to support DRM at all... but on the flip side, if DRM does have to exist, ereader style DRM is something I could get behind... but if I want to borrow Library books, well. ADE is kind of necessary... So I guess I pick all three... but that isn't an option in the poll...

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
jetreader
Banned
jetreader doesn't litterjetreader doesn't litter

Device: jetbook
that's the problem! When you say evarage shopper, you mean average bookreader shopper or regular-book-shopper? Bookreader-shopper will stop shopping right after he or she will buy some bookreader. Book-shopper will be shopping for the rest of his life. I'd put it this way - Barnes and Noble dramatically reduced e-book prices. Readers have to appreciate it! It's a matter of smb makes me a favour, I'm saying thanks! So as a reader I'd like to support Barnes and Noble, so I'm for the Barnes & Noble e-book format!
jetreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:31 PM   #9
jetreader
Banned
jetreader doesn't litterjetreader doesn't litter

Device: jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I am really torn here... Ideally I don't want to support DRM at all... but on the flip side, if DRM does have to exist, ereader style DRM is something I could get behind... but if I want to borrow Library books, well. ADE is kind of necessary... So I guess I pick all three... but that isn't an option in the poll...

--
Bill
I have to agree, why we are limited to one option. Why not to give us freedom of choice?
jetreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:51 AM   #10
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I enjoy my jetbook as much as my 505. Unfortunately, since I do not understand how to hack or do all that coding (is there a coding book for dummies?), I am unable to convert. Therefore, I am compelled to read off of my 505 when I would prefer to read on a device I consider just as nice with an even clearer screen and conveniently smaller. I am just lucky to find an occasional site that offers contemporary fiction in an open epub or pdf format. so, I would definitely support DRM for the jetbook.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:25 AM   #11
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetreader View Post
I have to agree, why we are limited to one option. Why not to give us freedom of choice?
Interesting concept. I wonder why Ectaco (or a third party) couldn't publish multiple ROMs, each with different features (DRM schemes) for sale?

You could have one with ADE, one with Secure eReader, one with Secure Mobi, etc.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #12
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Interesting concept. I wonder why Ectaco (or a third party) couldn't publish multiple ROMs, each with different features (DRM schemes) for sale?

You could have one with ADE, one with Secure eReader, one with Secure Mobi, etc.
Well, you wouldn't even need to use different ROMs... well unless Mobi was involved. There is no particularly good reason why ADE and ereader cannot co-exist on the same device. In general, I think it might be an issue of cost. Even though, I think ereader is licensed for free (I might be wrong on that), it would still take time and money to integrate it into the reader. As for ADE, well.. I imagine there is a licensing fee involved with them...

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe, drm, ereader, jetbook