Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #316
bpwhistler
bpwhistler began at the beginning.

Device: Palm III, IV, Treo, Centro, MacBook, iPod Touch...and someday a tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
open a ticket and attach the log and the chm file and it will get looked at eventually
Thanks...Where do I create a ticket?
bpwhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:05 PM   #317
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpwhistler View Post
Thanks...Where do I create a ticket?
Try here to start.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:01 AM   #318
bpwhistler
bpwhistler began at the beginning.

Device: Palm III, IV, Treo, Centro, MacBook, iPod Touch...and someday a tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Try here to start.
Thanks...
bpwhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:49 AM   #319
noideaatall
noideaatall began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Yep compression would be awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Yes it does, and it's great already!

Problems:

1 - image of the eBook cover, shows in the Cybook, does not show in Mobipocket Reader for the Desktop and for the PokectPC;

2 - it would be great if existed and option to compress the mobi file - mobipocket creator has 3 levels and if the 3th (high compression) takes a lot of time and it’s good just for compressing dictionaries, the 2th (standard compression) is acceptable and cuts the size of the eBook in half at least.

I understand that using any2mobi in command line one can do the compression I ask in (2), so I think is a question of time.

Let me say, it’s now outstanding stable and creates great files.

Thank you for the hard work put into this,
noideaatall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:07 PM   #320
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Wondering if anyone else has run across this issue or has a suggestion on a setting I need to be adjusting or something...

I'm still using 0.6.51 on my work computer and that's usually where I convert my ePub's to Mobi. Everything works great and I get nice Mobi files for my Kindle. Yesterday I bought some books and tried converting them at home (using 0.7.12) and the results were not as pleasant.

The first problem I'm having is that the paragraph indents go half way across the page. I can kinda fix this by checking the 'remove space between paragraphs' box (even though there are no spaces). This put's the indents in a more normal position.

The second problem is that the chapter heading (chapter 1, chapter 2, etc.) ends up on it's own separate page instead of just a few lines above the start of the chapter.

I just tried doing the same conversion with 0.6.51 and the Mobi files came out just how I've come to expect Calibre conversions to come out. Obviously something's different in the newer version, but I'm not sure what.

FWIW I ended up using Mobi Desktop to convert the ePubs at home and they came out just as good as the older version of Calibre, although I'm unsure if on the Kindle they'll have the chapter marks which the Calibre conversions give and which I like very much.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by AnemicOak; 08-02-2010 at 01:17 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #321
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hard to say without looking at one of the Mobi files. Open a ticket and attach the mobi file.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #322
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hard to say without looking at one of the Mobi files. Open a ticket and attach the mobi file.
Why not also attach the original file used to make the mobi file?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:31 PM   #323
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why not also attach the original file used to make the mobi file?
Yes, I actually meant to say attach the original file.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #324
Whistler36
Whistler36 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Mobi to Mobi conversion

I am trying to fix some metadata in a book. I did a mobi to mobi conversion and the book is very slow opening and moving around in. There were some messages in the conversion log. Are these a problem? How are they fixed?

*** TOC discontinuity: nodes are not sequential ***
node 000: 'E-book Extra:' offset: 0x2B8880 length: 0x50E6B
node 001: 'Also by' offset: 0x125A != 0x3096EB
child 000: TOC: E-book Extra: --> file.html#filepos2595443
child 001: TOC: Also by --> file.html#filepos4617
<snip>
_generate_indexed_navpoints: Failed to generate index
Writing unindexed mobi ...

I tried converting to epub and epub was slow also.

Last edited by Whistler36; 08-04-2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Added epub attempt
Whistler36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #325
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Those messages mean calibre was unable to generate the extra data used to jump around in a mobi file from one chapter to the next. It shouldnt cause slowness.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #326
Whistler36
Whistler36 began at the beginning.

Mobi to Mobi conversion

Quote:
Those messages mean calibre was unable to generate the extra data used to jump around in a mobi file from one chapter to the next. It shouldnt cause slowness.
Ok. Well how do I fix the file so it can generate that data?
Whistler36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #327
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There's no easy way to do it.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #328
cheveguerra
cheveguerra began at the beginning.

Device: WM6
Add to the title in bulk conversions

Hi everybody,

I am starting to use Calibre and think it is really good.

I have some books that are part of a series and and when I convert them and send them to the device I would like to "add" something descriptive to the title so when I open the library in mobipocket instead of seeing a lot of unrelated titles I see something like:

DP01 - Dragonflight
DP02 - Dragonquest
DP03 - Dragonsong

Instead of just:

Dragonflight
Dragonquest
Dragonsong

Besides if you have other titles (as I do) that when ordered get between the books of this series then you HAVE to know the order so you wont end up reading them out of order.

I can change the title in a book-by-book basis, but if the series has 22 or more books it can be a little slow and time consuming.

So, is there an easier way to do it?

Regards

Last edited by cheveguerra; 08-13-2010 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Changed "Thread Subscription" settings
cheveguerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:50 PM   #329
Tuffgong4
Tuffgong4 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Wondering if anyone else has run across this issue or has a suggestion on a setting I need to be adjusting or something...

I'm still using 0.6.51 on my work computer and that's usually where I convert my ePub's to Mobi. Everything works great and I get nice Mobi files for my Kindle. Yesterday I bought some books and tried converting them at home (using 0.7.12) and the results were not as pleasant.

The first problem I'm having is that the paragraph indents go half way across the page. I can kinda fix this by checking the 'remove space between paragraphs' box (even though there are no spaces). This put's the indents in a more normal position.

The second problem is that the chapter heading (chapter 1, chapter 2, etc.) ends up on it's own separate page instead of just a few lines above the start of the chapter.

I just tried doing the same conversion with 0.6.51 and the Mobi files came out just how I've come to expect Calibre conversions to come out. Obviously something's different in the newer version, but I'm not sure what.

FWIW I ended up using Mobi Desktop to convert the ePubs at home and they came out just as good as the older version of Calibre, although I'm unsure if on the Kindle they'll have the chapter marks which the Calibre conversions give and which I like very much.

Anyone have any ideas?
Interesting. I went back and downloaded 0.6.51 because all of my epubs converted in Calibre have that far indent...what is this mobi desktop app you speak of? I can't ind it through google.
Tuffgong4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #330
DallasW
DallasW began at the beginning.

Conversion to mobe indents all lines approximately 1/6 across the screen

Hey there, first thanks for the great software, very easy to use and learn! I seem to be having one small issue however when converting files for use with my Kindle 3, using version 7.19

For the most part I haven't had any issues converting files, approximately 5 or 6 other books which I've converted from various formats (html, epub, lit) have worked fine. For two books however, I have had issues after conversion where the reader indents every line to about 1/6 of the way across the screen. It doesn't seem to be a line break issue as changing the text size scaled everything properly, it just is all indented, and thus losing screen space.

I haven't changed any values in the preferences away from default so I'm not really sure what the problem is. One of the books is in ePUB format, the other was an html format. This indentation problem seems to be present in the ebook reader within caliber as well, as seen in the screenshow below.

Any help is appreciated. I tried searching but had no luck, so sorry if this has been covered before.

Original ePUB in reader:

Converted mobi file in reader:

Last edited by DallasW; 09-20-2010 at 02:40 PM.
DallasW is offline   Reply With Quote