Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-21-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Fantasies of Steven Erikson

I'm thinking of reading some of the Fantasy of Steven Erikson.

Has anyone read him?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Has anyone read him?

Don
Yes, i did and meanwhile i'm a real fan of him. "Gardens of the Moon" as well as the other books of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series are a great read. Well, imho his first books were better than the more recent ones. Perhaps i got this impression because the first books introduced some new elements as well as altered versions of well known elements in the epic fantasy genre.

I know, it sounds like a rave review, though i'm very impressed by Steven's works, especially by his well-elaborated characters...
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
You will have to have some patience in the beginning, as the world is quite complex...

well worth the read.

cheers,

kaas
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #4
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:

Has anyone read him?
Yes, and loved everything of his I've read (which is pretty much everything he's published). Fair warning: Gardens of the Moon, the first book in the series, starts off in media res in a big way; also, the penultimate book, Dreams of Dust, which just came out a few months ago, is only the first half of one extremely long novel - the second half, The Crippled God, is due out later this year.

If you're looking for electronic editions, check the UK stores - you can pick up a compiled edition (Adobe-infected .epub) of the first two (Gardens and Deadhouse Gates) for around GBP8, which is a quite reasonable deal, and if you like them you can also get the next six in compiled 2-in-1s for the same price.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
Jamp
Jamp began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
I'll second these responses, starting this book is hard, but its well worth it.

Another advantage of Erikson is time-invariant quality, Malazan Book of Fallen counts for thousands of pages, but it don't suffer from common series syndrome, it even maybe gets better (and certainly not worse).
Jamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 08:57 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thanks for all the responses.

I was looking at Random House UK, but it looks like they only sell to UK residents.

I'm still reading "Under The Dome," in addition to three other titles by different authors, but Erikson looks VERY good, indeed.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I've read through book 6 along with some of the shorts. They're quite good.

Ian Cameron Esslemont also writes Malazan books and co-created the original world with Erikson back in the 80's for Role Playing.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:38 AM   #8
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
I was looking at Random House UK, but it looks like they only sell to UK residents.
Happily Waterstone's will sell you the Random House UK versions regardless of where you live
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:08 PM   #9
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I second Esslemont's stuff. If you've had a chance to digest some of Erikson, and like it, you'll also like Esslemont. More of the same world. Lovely :-D
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:32 AM   #10
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
I'm almost finished with the first installment in the Malazan series, Gardens of the Moon.

I think it's quite good, but not great. I will continue reading the series.

A word of caution: The first couple of books in the series seem to have had really bad proof reading. Constantly proper names changes: Coll is called Coil half of the time, and Toc the younger is called Toe the younger etc.
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #11
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I thought he looked pretty good. Fantasy that didn't seem to follow the typical fantasy flow.

However, I tried to read Gardens of the Moon and he falls into the trap so many fantasy writers do: he makes up words or terms and fancy titles for characters that the initial narrative is just absolutely confusing, so I gave up.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #12
grechzoo
Enthusiast
grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 or Sony PRS
sorry to bump an ol topic but it looks like there are no good ebook versions of these books.

kindle store, fictionwise, and every other store inc. uk seem to all report some pretty bad errors.

anyone report a store that has a good version of this? i know kindle recently release a second version of gardens of the moon officially published, and i downloaded the sample and it looks quite good, but none of the rest of the series is on the kindle store yet.
grechzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #13
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I've been meaning to pick up Gardens of the Moon, I'll be sure to put it on my TBR list (although I've been having to slow down my reading now that I have exams, so I'm not sure when I'll get to it... I can't wait to get them over with!).
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:46 PM   #14
grechzoo
Enthusiast
grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 or Sony PRS
Yeah they are my dads fav books. Has Anyone got the majority of this series in ebook form that aren't filled with typos and errors?
grechzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:56 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by grechzoo View Post
sorry to bump an ol topic but it looks like there are no good ebook versions of these books.

kindle store, fictionwise, and every other store inc. uk seem to all report some pretty bad errors.

anyone report a store that has a good version of this? i know kindle recently release a second version of gardens of the moon officially published, and i downloaded the sample and it looks quite good, but none of the rest of the series is on the kindle store yet.
Tor is the US publisher and can be quite slow at getting ebooks out, although they seem to be getting faster. WH Smith and Waterstones have all/most of them through the UK publisher but AFAIK that's all that's out so far.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote