Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-09-2009, 12:24 AM   #1
serendipitynz
serendipitynz began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thumbs up New member - about me

Hi all, I'm a new member who is about to embark on a large research project. I'm an on campus/online lecturer at a New Zealand institute of technology, and in the interests of my students finances, plus sustainability, I am researching the possibilities of providing text books, lecture notes and other reading material in ebook format.
serendipitynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Welcome to MobileRead, serendipitynz! Your project sounds interesting. Be sure to check out the Wiki for information about the various devices and file format capabilities.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello serendipitynz
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipitynz View Post
Hi all, I'm a new member who is about to embark on a large research project. I'm an on campus/online lecturer at a New Zealand institute of technology, and in the interests of my students finances, plus sustainability, I am researching the possibilities of providing text books, lecture notes and other reading material in ebook format.
Hello, serendipitynz, and welcome to MobileRead.

Which device do you plan on using?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi serendipitynz and welcome to the Forum.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
serendipitynz
serendipitynz began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi all and thanks for the welcome, maybe I should add that I don't plan on using any particular device at the moment, after I've completed the research I plan to present a paper at a tertiary education conference, and will decide then what if any device to trial. There's a lot of research required because I need to look at the availability and format of textbooks from several different education publishers, and one of the most important issues is that it must deal well with PDFs.
serendipitynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
37lIUx7Yx4Y
jPlucker
37lIUx7Yx4Y began at the beginning.

Device: pilot 1000 , IIIxe , tapwave zodiac , Nokia 770
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipitynz View Post
I don't plan on using any particular device at the moment.

ready , fire , aim

install ebook readers on desktop
test wikibook text books
use Plucker on cheap palm PDA 20USD(used)

google free courseware Berkeley MIT ...

PDFs suck because they are paper oriented
and not machine friendly

FLEPia verification test at Cafe "Termina Kinshicho Fujiya Restaurant"

FUJIYA restaurant : Fujitsu FLEPia demonstration with iRex iLiad and DR1000S

Last edited by 37lIUx7Yx4Y; 03-10-2009 at 12:30 PM.
37lIUx7Yx4Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Looks like someone has discovered emoticons.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:00 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Looks like someone has discovered emoticons.
that is some good advice too !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:12 PM   #10
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
that is some good advice too !
Eh, the one about PDFs is more opinion than advice ... but, I'll grant you the rest of it sounds pretty good.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:40 PM   #11
37lIUx7Yx4Y
jPlucker
37lIUx7Yx4Y began at the beginning.

Device: pilot 1000 , IIIxe , tapwave zodiac , Nokia 770
ever tried to scrape text to make notes ?
WTF the result can be incorrect

if you buy a PDF as a ebook , not intended to be printed
why be annoyed with pagination obstacles ?
scrolling would so much smoother
37lIUx7Yx4Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #12
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
I have numerous PDF's and have no problems with them. Yes, PDF is a page oriented format, but there's nothing wrong with that.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
also, serendipity, i know there are some other teachers / school librarians on the forum looking for similar info ; maybe you can do a quick search and get in touch with them, to share info and ideas. this thread might interest you, to start with. also, take a look at our social groups (under the "community" link in the blue menu bar at the top top of the page) ; we've got a social group for librarians and one for academia ; they might be interesting to you.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
education, online facilitation, schools, student resources, sustainability