Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 08-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
raymie67
raymie67 began at the beginning.

Device: BEBOOK
BEBOOK and Hanlin 1.27 Firmware

Just a word of warning and a question in case this is a common issue.

I bought a BEBOOK this week and when it arrived it did not work with LIT files (unlike it states on the BEBEOOK website). The firmware installed was 1.26.

I installed the hanlin 1.27 version since there does not appear to be a 1.27 version from BEBOOK yet and noticed a few unexpected differences

- Some characters in text files are no longer displayed correctly even when the system font is replaced, these seem to be mainly proper speech quotes when the machine is set to English

- More annoyingly the 7 button to bring up document settings (at least when using text files in 1.26) is now disabled and there seems to be no way to alter spacing and the other options that were previously available.

Anyone have any comments on these adverse changes and any ideas how to undo them without reverting to 1.26 firmware again (assuming BEBOOK allow it to be downloaded)
raymie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
I contacted BeBook 5 days ago about the inability to read LIT-files on the device, and they told me that a new firmware will be released in a bit more than two weeks. Mobipocket is supposed to follow soon thereafter.

However, they told me before that Mobipocket-support would be released in June/July, which it hasn't; so I'm not sure if the two-weeks timeframe is to be taken seriously..
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2008, 04:19 AM   #3
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
However, they told me before that Mobipocket-support would be released in June/July, which it hasn't; so I'm not sure if the two-weeks timeframe is to be taken seriously..
I don't see why not. LIT support is already there in the Jinke and lBook firmwares, even if it still leaves a bit to be desired. So theoretically, all BEBOOK needs to do is take one of those (whichever they are basing their firmware on) and add their own customizations back in.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
And BEBook have now posted their 1.27 firmware update: http://mybebook.com/p9/**FREE-BEBOOK...E**/pages.html.

From the BEBook website:
Here's the first software update for your BeBook. It has tons of features, all listed below along with information on how to perform the update. We're expecting another update very shortly, including MobiPocket support as well.
This is update 1.27, Version 3. If you already have the latest version of the software, this will be recognized during the update.
FEATURES IN THIS UPDATE:
1. Added support for MS *.lit and *.ppt files.
2. Improved PDF format, support encrypted (non DRM) PDF file.
3. Improved PNG display effect.
4. Updated the new parser of the FB2 format.
5. Optimized menus for Ukraine, Russian, Turkish and Bulgarian languages.
6. Use the Founder Font Library to replace the current Chinese font library.
7. Added the menu for Hungarian language.
8. Improved HTML format.
9. Add the animation display and entering into viewer.
10. Improved .txt parser.
11. PDF parser without status bar.
12. Menu language support for Slovenian and Catalan.
Sounds much the same as the Jinke 1.27 update. Notice, Mobipocket support is still coming "very shortly".

Last edited by Moe The Cat; 08-04-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:18 PM   #5
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, the BEBook update seems to handle .lit files better than the Jinke 1.27 firmware. The Jinke firmware displayed random spaces in the middle of words in .lit files. The BEBook 1.27 update does not have this fault. However, the default viewer for .lit files does not do a good job with margins: the left margin is not even; many lines are mysteriously indented one character. The right margin is also not justified. But, it's still much more readable for .lit files than the similar Jinke firmware.
Advert
Old 08-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #6
raymie67

Appreciate the update, checked the site earlier today and that was not there and bebook have yet to reply to any emails. Hopefully this will also solve the text file parsing regressing that the jinke firmware caused me.

Downloading now, just wish they had zipped up the file to give a CRC check
Old 08-04-2008, 05:04 PM   #7
raymie67

Well I am back to BEBEOOK firmware but in it's v1.27 the text file parser seems as bad as the jinke firmware one and a step back from 1.26.

Proper speach marks are still not displayed correctly, in the bebook firmware they show as TM symbols and the 7 key when in a text file again is disabled whereas previously it allows formatting changed etc.

Shame to see such a step back in a newish machine.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:34 PM   #8
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymie67 View Post
Proper speach marks are still not displayed correctly, in the bebook firmware they show as TM symbols.
I've just flashed the BeBook v1.27 firmware and checked some *.txt files. The quotation marks are displaying properly for me.

Last edited by Moe The Cat; 08-04-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:46 AM   #9
raymie67

Are we talking about the same marks, it is not " one but the curly versions.?

And if you don't mind, do you get the 7 key working while in a text file?, might reflash my machine again just in case but I did have the same issue with the jinke version.

Last edited by raymie67; 08-05-2008 at 07:48 AM. Reason: updated question
Old 08-05-2008, 08:34 AM   #10
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
I'll have to give this update a go later tonight.

My only real complaint about the last Jinkie release was that the .lit files had an annoying amount of white space between the end of one page and the next when you increased the font size.

Is the fb2 support the same as the Jinkie one?

Quote:
We're expecting another update very shortly, including MobiPocket support as well.
Hopefully it'll be with a fix for the 4 second page turn :P
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:46 AM   #11
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymie67 View Post
Are we talking about the same marks, it is not " one but the curly versions.?

And if you don't mind, do you get the 7 key working while in a text file?, might reflash my machine again just in case but I did have the same issue with the jinke version.
Oh, sorry. I didn't understand. No, the text file I checked had regular quotation marks ", not the curly ones. I don't know if I have any text files with curly quotation marks.

And, no, the 7 key still does not work in a text file in the BeBook v1.27 firmware.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:47 PM   #12
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Just updated with this firmware and it looks like .lit is now almost usable. The whitespace problem has gone, although as an earlier poster mentions there's a lack of justified text and I'm not keen on the way the reader seems to fade the last couple of lines of a page. Also there's no page or progress indicators.

It's an improvement, but still not a patch on the fb2 viewer with none of the setting options, really a shame they can't modify that viewer to use for .lit. Still, it's progress, lets hope whoever it is working on this makes some more improvements before too long

I hope the mobipocket viewer returns in a future update too, it was pretty much spot on with the exception of the 4 second page turn delay.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:18 PM   #13
raymie67

BEBOOK have been in touch and with a bit of luck I will get back to v1.26 soon, it was better for the files I have. I have to say that once I got to their technical department they did reply quickly which bodes well
Old 08-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #14
raymie67

If anyone has a bebook and have not updated yet could you perhaps let me know the version of the txt parser installed (options and then about from the main book shelf view). V1.27 has txt parser 1.20.080401

Last edited by raymie67; 08-05-2008 at 04:00 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:53 PM   #15
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt

I've gone back to v1.26, but it's not the BeBook version. It's Lunohod's version with FBReader installed. For what it's worth, the txt parser on this version is also 1.20.080401. However, my txt files are opened by FBReader and they look fine. I found a txt file with the curly quotation marks and they show up properly in FBReader.