Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-18-2008, 12:22 PM   #16
obelix
Connoisseur
obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanine View Post

1. connect 505 to PC, create a directory called FONT (note all upper case) under its root directory...
Congratulations, alanine! Finally, it's done!
Now all of us, who are using foreign fonts, or just want to replace existing fonts can do it without any modification of the firmware!

Last edited by obelix; 02-18-2008 at 10:57 PM.
obelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:14 PM   #17
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Thanks, alanine

Using your method, Korean users succeeded in using Korean fonts on their PRS 505. It is excellent that users do not have to worry about bricking their PRS 505

Thanks again for sharing such valuable information.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2008, 08:13 PM   #18
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
And idea why some LRF files freeze my Reader up after this trick?
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:34 PM   #19
alanine
Connoisseur
alanine has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alanine has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alanine has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alanine has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
And idea why some LRF files freeze my Reader up after this trick?
Did you transfer the LRF to the reader after enabling this hack?

If so, it's probably not "freeze" but the LRF is being re-formated when first open, which usually takes quite a while. Subsequent open is no problem. Usually the connect software will do the formatting of LRFs on the PC side, and only need to update the cache on the reader so that the reader won't do the formatting again.

So this is a problem. I've already mentioned it in the first post. The bottom line is: DONT use connect software to transfer LRFs to the reader's internal memory AFTER enabling this hack! Do it before you enable the fonts (after a reset), or only transfer to SD/MS card.
alanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:12 AM   #20
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the reply. Actually, the LRFs were on the Reader before I applied the hack. I haven't tried loading things on after the hack yet.
Advert
Old 02-19-2008, 10:35 AM   #21
vrf
Addict

Spent some time, got it working, for me at least.
You have to put your customized font in the Program Files/Sony/Reader/Data/Fonts folder as well. (Similiar to PRS-500 font changing discussed elsewhere.) This then handles the formatting when dumping books on the reader. (The font "wrapping" only works for rendering new font characters... the page layout is still set up for the old font, so you'll be missing some lines of text or will have white space if you only use the wrapper script.)

So...

1. Backup reader books to PC.
2. Format reader memory.
3. Make a backup copy of the fonts in the Sony folder.
4. Copy modified fonts to Sony folder
5. Copy modified fonts to "FONT" folder in Reader memory.
6. Connect Reader to Sony software... upload books... disconnect
7. Unzip Font Wrapping script to SD card.
8. Run script

New fonts now work on books on Reader and books that you add to reader. You'll need those modified fonts on whatever computer you use the Sony software on.

EDIT: BUT You need to reset the device after loading new books on, and then run the script again. This will change once we can flash the Reader with modified fonts.
I'm now running the very lovely Caecilia as my main reading text. Beautifully clear, and just as fast as the native fonts.

I think sturdy slab-serif fonts are the best choice for eink displays. Amazon uses Caecilia for the Kindle, although there are other good ones like Serifa and Calvert.

Last edited by vrf; 02-21-2008 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:23 PM   #22
pitolee
Connoisseur
pitolee began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
Thanks!

Thank you Alanine - I also used it with no problems to change the default typefaces to some I prefer. Excellent, simple hack.
pitolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:27 PM   #23
rbrt222
rbrt222 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
2. put your customized Unicode font files in FONT directory (three files tt0003m_.ttf,tt0011m_.ttf,tt0419m_.ttf, with the font family name "Swis721 BT", "Dutch801 Rm BT", and "Courier10 BT" respectively, basically the same as you would do with a prs-500).
hi, i just got my 505 yesterday and i'm having trouble with Unicode characters.
Can someone tell me where i can get those fonts(tt0003m_.ttf,tt0011m_.ttf,tt0419m_.ttf)?
and do i make a FONT directory same level as folder "database"?

thank you
rbrt222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:55 PM   #24
alanine
Connoisseur
alanine has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alanine has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alanine has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alanine has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrt222 View Post
Can someone tell me where i can get those fonts(tt0003m_.ttf,tt0011m_.ttf,tt0419m_.ttf)?
You can try the Chinese Unicode font here, from which you can extract the first 2 ttf fonts. The third one you can use the original Sony font from your Connect software installation directory Connect\Reader\Data\fonts

Quote:
and do i make a FONT directory same level as folder "database"?
Yes, and on the reader's internal memory.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:27 PM   #25
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PB-IQ / Sony PRS-500
Thumbs down Is it possible by principle ...

Hi alanine,

I understand that your non-flashing solution "mounts /Data/FONT over existing /opt/sony/ebook/FONT."

Do you think it possible by principle to get "applications" like obelix' SUDOKU (consisting of an autorun.xml and autorun.js) running *NOT* from an SD card but somehow start it from internal memory (like: /Data/...) ?

Everytime I start Sudoku this draws quite on akku power . Also I'd love a way to use a key like MARK (that I hardly ever use) to start a "menu" with some "home-made" options... (... I'm about to finish a game building on obelix' code. I'd like to run that "internal" somehow. As you may already suspect I'm not a pro-programmer.)

I'd be glad for any hints how to go about it!
Thanks in advance (also to every other person with good ideas ) !!!
Clemenseken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:17 PM   #26
alanine
Connoisseur

Clemenseken, I understand what you are coming from. But AFAIK, the way to start a 3rd party application is by inserting a SD card that has the autorun.xml. Whether it's the only way, I don't know.

I can't think of a way to hijack some button from the default tinyhttp application so as to launch your own stuff. But again, I no longer have a 505 with me (the one I used to develop this app was a gift to my mom and is now somewhere half way around this planet).
Old 04-16-2008, 07:29 PM   #27
cIIIz
cIIIz began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch & Sony Reader 505
hi
I'm new to the eReaders world so forgive my newbie question, does this allow u to read books let's say written in Arabic for example (which is a right to left language ) ? or it only changes the interface font ?

thanks
cIIIz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:57 AM   #28
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
No, RTL languages do not work even with proper fonts. The only way to read RTL on Reader is PDF with embedded fonts.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:47 AM   #29
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable, Boox T68, Kobo Mini, Nook STR, Sony PRS-505
worked great thanks alot
i had some issues with converting from .otf to .ttf and changing Font Family, but i found a piece of software called FontCreator. It has a free trial and does it all so i'm a happy guy. thanks again
electristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:53 AM   #30
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable, Boox T68, Kobo Mini, Nook STR, Sony PRS-505
Just noticed that when you turn off your reader (Shut Down) and boot it back up again the fonts are back to the defaults and i have to reinsert the SD card and run the script again. is there any way around this? not a bit deal but i thought id ask.

Thanks again for the great tool!

Last edited by electristan; 04-22-2008 at 11:59 AM.
electristan is offline   Reply With Quote