Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #16
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Hehe... it depends. On the K5 and up, Kindlets actually are quite a nice thing.* They're easy to write, they provide a consistent UI, and they allow you to do pretty much anything (i.e., they can interact with both the Java-based, and the system part of the device) - that is, if you know what to do, and if you escape the "locked-down bumache" - but that part is trivial if you use the Kindlet jailbreak. This is why I personally prefer to write Kindlets, rather than anything else. (yes, they're mostly limited to a specific FW version, but that's also because they do very specific things which are closely coupled to the FW - especially now that Amazon re-obfuscates everything with every new release - if you stick with "pure userland" and don't try to muck with the system internals, that's much more relaxed).

(*) Not so on the K3, because that doesn't support standard Swing UI components. You'll have to reinvent the wheel for many UI things, and even then, it'll still look ugly. I'm still not sure about the K4, but my guess is that it's similar to the K3, i.e., "not good".
Good solid info.

I was thinking of the Keyboard though - because that is the advertised device on his profile. TBH: someone should just look into doing a native port now of skipstone (or something) since it's a "proven" tech route. Must spend a bit of time revisiting my (currently horrific) X-compiler mess...

Thanks for the overview and addendum. Yup on the 5 not so shabby. on the 3... well... I'll just leave that there. (EA did a decent job on Solitaire FWIW)
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #17
nathansuchy
Enthusiast
nathansuchy can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternathansuchy can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternathansuchy can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternathansuchy can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternathansuchy can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternathansuchy can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternathansuchy can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternathansuchy can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternathansuchy can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternathansuchy can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternathansuchy can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Keyboard Wifi
Ok I have read all of these posts I know the file is not signed java won't let me I renamed the azw2 file before the upload so yes crrentl the script shell would not run out of the box I did do all lowercase naming. How do I compile java files and how do I fix my zip file. Could someone fix my zip file for me?
nathansuchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #18
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=102386 and https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindlet_Developer_HowTo

but as I said before much of that is for the Touch and you need to "backport" some of it to the previous SDK.

I'm sorry mate... fixing one file for you won't fix your overall problem.
you need to learn how to do it for yourself.

seems like you are missing just a couple of steps.

If you provided better formatted information about EXACTLY what you are doing (like the commands and the output you get back, errors, screenshots etc)

Yep, it's not a fast process but I don't post all this information you can find in my other posts for the excitement of it... It's so either people can offer me GOOD help (since they actually know what I am trying to do - and how) or so that people in the future who ask the same questions can be directed to read the posts.

I am not typing all that lot out again. The info is out there. And has been provided as links already. Sorry Nathan, there are no substitutes for understanding the material at hand.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #19
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansuchy View Post
Ok I have read all of these posts I know the file is not signed java won't let me I renamed the azw2 file before the upload so yes crrentl the script shell would not run out of the box I did do all lowercase naming. How do I compile java files and how do I fix my zip file. Could someone fix my zip file for me?
just zip it up??? we know how to unzip things???

How you compile java files (it's a way old link): http://www.stanford.edu/class/cs108/...eclipse-guide/
http://www.mycoding.net/2011/02/comp...am-in-eclipse/
http://help.eclipse.org/helios/index...pi_compile.htm
but seriously you can google all this stuff up - it's not kindle specific.
all the available -kindle- links have been provided. (pretty much)

if you are using Eclipse: Eclipse is automatically compiling your code on the fly.
(with the default build automatically option)

Eclipse compiler: (kinda based on http://jikes.sourceforge.net/)

Quote:
An incremental Java compiler. Implemented as an Eclipse builder, it is based on technology evolved from VisualAge for Java compiler. In particular, it allows to run and debug code which still contains unresolved errors.
in a pinch:
Quote:
Use the terminal to do it:
javac filename.java
(to compile)
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...lipse-compiler

Last edited by twobob; 11-20-2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: in a pinch, not "at a pinch". bah mangling and maxxing my mixaphors
Old 11-20-2012, 07:51 AM   #20
nathansuchy
Enthusiast
nathansuchy can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternathansuchy can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternathansuchy can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternathansuchy can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternathansuchy can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternathansuchy can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternathansuchy can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternathansuchy can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternathansuchy can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternathansuchy can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternathansuchy can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Ok thanks I will try to fix the errors tonight and then fix them. Hopefully I dont have english homework tonight I did yeasterday so I did not have time last night sorry about that.
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #21
nathansuchy
Enthusiast

Sorry about my grammer in that last post...
Old 11-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #22
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansuchy View Post
Sorry about my grammer in that last post...
grammAr

BTW, you can edit your posts also after you submitted them, if you need to fix something or add new information.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #23
twobob

Some. Enormous. Shots of my desktop running Juno.
( I trimmed it down to one monitor wide :\ )

Perhaps they will help grease the wheels.

Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Java - snake-game-kindlet-src-com-anmipo-kindle-snake-applet-SnakeApplet.java - Eclipse _008.png
Views:	159
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	96525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Java - snake-game-kindlet-src-com-anmipo-kindle-snake-SnakeKindlet.java - Eclipse _009.png
Views:	119
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	96526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Java - snake-game-kindlet-MANIFEST.MF - Eclipse _010.png
Views:	115
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	96527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_011.png
Views:	133
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	96528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_012.png
Views:	135
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	96529  
Old 11-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #24
nathansuchy
Enthusiast

Thanks I will work on signing my kindlet asap... btw do I have to sign it everytime i add a new file or just once?
Old 11-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #25
twobob

Auto build. Sign with the shell script. every time. (The example I posted shows how you could test locally AND as a native kindlet) this is very helpful obviously. The Snake game has it in.

I'm assuming linux here. Unsure what you would do for windows.
Jump in and read a few documents if I were you mate. : )