Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #481
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I want to second what DoctorOhh has said above. CC is a great program for managing your library on an Android device. It is so easy for it to work with Calibre (either content server or WiFi). I let it manage my library and just use the reader (Mantano and Moon+ Pro) to do the actual reading.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #482
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I want to second what DoctorOhh has said above. CC is a great program for managing your library on an Android device.
Did you update to the newest version? If not do it soon, you'll be impressed.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #483
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoods7070 View Post
However, I still don't understand this: some months ago, I went through my entire library, using Modify epub exclusively to replace jackets - a blanket approach which replaced ALL my jackets using the modified template/css. The jackets done at that time have the code in the jacket.xhtml file, and read perfectly everywhere.
I did a bit more experimenting with this. I think you can get a better result with Mantano if you make a small change to your custom version of resources\jacket\template.xhtml in your calibre config directory.

On line 5 try deleting the red bit
Code:
<style type="text/css" media="screen">{css}</style>
then replace the jacket with Modify Epub (or Polish).

I've just tried it in Mantano and it looks much better. The only styling which goes AWOL for me is colour text in the Comments section, which displays black instead. Colour text in the box heading is displayed OK

Quote:
@jackie_w The main reason I insert jackets is to make the series info available to Mantano, which will sort on series - presumably that info comes from the jacket?? I haven't had any problems at all with Mantano since they fixed the fairly minor issue of incorrect cover display on the Nexus after me nagging them. : (They have a great responsive attitude in their support team, BTW.) I do very basic reading, with only the very occasional note, bookmark etc.. The other contenders are dreadful.
Or the alternative option, as suggested by DoctorOhh and jerseyman, is to use the Calibre Companion app for all your android library functionality. It can automatically send your epubs to Mantano (or any other reading app) for the actual reading. CC has far better library manipulation than any of the individual reading apps. Two quid well-spent IMHO, especially since yesterday's great new release

If you use CC you won't need to add jackets at all, because calibre metadata (incl any custom columns you've set up) is available on each book's detail page. You can even group your books by custom columns. Selecting and sorting by Series is a standard feature.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #484
Hoods7070
Groupie
Hoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notes

Device: Nexus 7"
Thanks Doc - I had forgotten there is an app at all. I don't use Calibre for putting my books on the tablet, but shunt them over manually for several not very good reasons, which is why I assumed any metadata Mantano is reading was coming from the jacket.

In fact I can't use the companion app because more often than not I am not handy to wifi and/or my PC, but I might get it just for fun to see how it works.

Last edited by Hoods7070; 08-20-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Hoods7070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #485
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is the last of my off topic posts. Apologies to Kiwidude and others reading this thread for recent posts that have strayed from the topic of Modify ePub.

Quote:
In fact I can't use the companion app because more often than not I am not handy to wifi and/or my PC, but I might get it just for fun to see how it works.
You only need to have access to wifi to put your books on your device initially. Wifi is not required to be able to use the app to manage, sort, search or launch your books that are on your device.

I have all the books in my current library on my device.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-20-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Advert
Old 08-21-2013, 03:34 AM   #486
Hoods7070
Groupie
Hoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notes

Device: Nexus 7"
@doc Oh cool, thanks. (Cool? One forgets one's age sometimes!) I will definitely try it in that case.

@jackie_w - I think I have this thing sorted now, so thanks for your help. (BTW I had already delted the "mediascreen" thing.) I ended up just going very slowly and carefully, testing and saving in between - I'm not normally that orderly so something must have come unstuck somewhere. Funnily Mantano does see colours, for me (which is academic, as I won't use them) but is not respecting text-transform, which I'm almost sure it did before. However, none of it's serious!

Now I had better get off offtopic too ... thanks again, all.
Hoods7070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #487
samy2
Ebook-Fan
samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
There is a bug with some epub-files (and no there is no DRM), with trying to remove ebbeded fonts:

Quote:
Modify ePubs
Logfile for book ID 5212 (Book / Author)
Modifying: /tmp/calibre_1.0.0_tmp_9XrxZj/TPyloO_modify_epub/5212.epub
Parsing xml file: OEBPS/content.opf
Parsing xml file: OEBPS/toc.ncx
Looking for embedded fonts
ERROR - cannot remove embedded fonts from DRM encrypted book
ePub not changed after 0.05 seconds
samy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:43 AM   #488
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@samy2 - your epub you sent me has encrypted fonts. That is what is triggering that message. However without looking into it off the top of my head I don't know how easy it is to differentiate between an ePub that has an encryption.xml file inside it for the purposes of encrypting just the fonts, versus one that has the whole contents encrypted. Perhaps Kovid may spot this and offer a hint?
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:46 AM   #489
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's fairly straightforward. IIRC both the Polish Books contaoner and the epub input plugin are able to distinguish between encrypted and obfuscated epubs.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #490
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

v1.3.8 Released

Changes in this version:
  • Add a "Append extra CSS" option to allow appending any css style information from Preferences->Common Options->Look & Feel->Extra CSS to each .css file in the ePub.
  • Respect the tweak "save_original_format_when_polishing" if set to make a .ORIGINAL_EPUB copy of the book before making modifications if no such copy exists.
  • After running Modify ePub ensure the book details panel is updated in case an ORIGINAL_EPUB was added
  • Fix for encrypted font ePubs being treated as DRM protected preventing Font removal

Thanks again Kovid for the steer on this one for the encrypted font fix.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:43 AM   #491
mob
mob began at the beginning.

Device: IPad
modify epub v 1.3.8 seems to be broken - every single book I try to update cover image and metadata generates an (timeout) error

Cheers & thanks for looking to fix it

calibre, version 1.1.0
ERROR: Modify ePub failed: No ePub files were updated

Updating metadata and cover
Parsing xml file: content.opf
Parsing xml file: toc.ncx
Looking for unused images
abc- ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.modify_epub.modify", line 73, in process_book
File "calibre_plugins.modify_epub.modify", line 164, in _process_book
KeyError: u'append_extra_css'

ePub not changed after 0.27 seconds

unquote
mob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:36 AM   #492
kiwidude

@mob - Did you remember to restart calibre after installing?
Old 09-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #493
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@mob - Did you remember to restart calibre after installing?
Yes:
PHP Code:
calibreversion 1.1.0
FEHLER
Modify ePub failedNo ePub files were updated

Modify ePubs
Logfile 
for book ID 229
  Modifying
:  xxxxxxxxxxxxx  C:\Users\WERNER~1\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_gduoxi\mq4987_modify_epub\229.epub
Parsing xml file
OEBPS/content.opf
Parsing xml file
OEBPS/toc.ncx
    Looking 
for embedded fonts
      Found font to remove
OEBPS/Fonts/JansonTextLTStd-Roman.otf
      Manifest item removed
Fonts/JansonTextLTStd-Roman.otf (JansonTextLTStd-Roman.otf)

Found font to removeOEBPS/Fonts/HelveticaNeueLTStd-Cn.otf
      Manifest item removed
Fonts/HelveticaNeueLTStd-Cn.otf (HelveticaNeueLTStd-Cn.otf)

Found font to removeOEBPS/Fonts/JansonTextLTStd-Italic.otf
      Manifest item removed
Fonts/JansonTextLTStd-Italic.otf (JansonTextLTStd-Italic.otf)

Found font to removeOEBPS/Fonts/HelveticaNeueLTStd-BdCn.otf
      Manifest item removed
Fonts/HelveticaNeueLTStd-BdCn.otf (HelveticaNeueLTStd-BdCn.otf)

Looking for css @font-face style declarations
      Removed 
@font-face fromOEBPS/Styles/template.css
    Looking 
for inline @font-face style declarations

ERRORTraceback (most recent call last):

File "calibre_plugins.modify_epub.modify"line 73in process_book
  File 
"calibre_plugins.modify_epub.modify"line 164in _process_book
KeyError
u'append_extra_css'

ePub not changed after 0.58 seconds 
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #494
kiwidude

@ottischwenk - I don't understand how this can be possible after restarting calibre. Unless you are somehow running the plugin in an unconventional way, or it is erroring somewhere else?

You are seeing the Modify ePub popup dialog with all the checkboxes, including the one for "Append extra CSS" right? You don't have to have it checked, it just needs to be present on that dialog. As soon as you click "OK" the plugin will look at all the checkboxes and update a dictionary it keeps for each option recording whether it is checked or not. That error you and mob are reporting are from where it cannot find an entry in that dictionary for the "append_extra_css" option.

You can see the entries yourself by going to calibre ->Miscellaneous->Open calibre configuration directory, open the gui.json file in Notepad and search for "modify epub plugin" and you should see a bunch of things like "add_replace_jacket": true along with "append_extra_css": false. Or at least I do when I try to replicate this issue.

Is anyone else having the same problem - or are they having Modify ePub behave normally without errors (without even trying the Append Extra CSS option)?

It is a relatively easy fix to make to the plugin to workaround it, but I am concerned that it just shouldn't be happening in the first place for users who have updated the plugin and restarted calibre. And I don't like things that I can't understand why...
Old 09-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #495
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Is anyone else having the same problem - or are they having Modify ePub behave normally without errors (without even trying the Append Extra CSS option)?
I just ran this plugin on one book with Append extra CSS and Update metadata checked and got the following error. Without Append extra CSS I got no error.

Spoiler:
calibre, version 1.1.0
ERROR: Modify ePub failed: No ePub files were updated

Modify ePubs
Logfile for book ID 11315 (The Clocks / Agatha Christie)
Modifying: C:\Users\Family\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_vqimzl\ zhahyk_modify_epub\11315.epub
Updating metadata and cover
Parsing xml file: content.opf
Parsing xml file: toc.ncx
Looking for extra CSS to append
The Clocks - ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.modify_epub.modify", line 73, in process_book
File "calibre_plugins.modify_epub.modify", line 165, in _process_book
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for |=: 'bool' and 'NoneType'

ePub not changed after 1.40 seconds

Tags
modify epub