Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 11-01-2010, 07:06 AM   #1
jastevenson
Edge User

Lightbulb Amazon releases Pocket Edge dualbook--anyone buying?

Looks like the dualbook is now available on Amazon.

Anyone planning on buying one?

Old 11-01-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
borisb
Edge User

I would, but Amazon.com can't ship it to Canada :/

Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
alefor
Edge User

I ordered it from Amazon today, but its still a "pre-order" with no shipping date yet. Maybe it will take a while.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #4
alefor
Edge User

Just interesting...while my Amazon order is still intact (placed 24hrs ago), the Pocket eDGe has disappeared from the Amazon web site. No word yet about a shipping date.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
StephenC
Edge User

I ordered one (red) from HSN Sunday for 399. They still have the black available for 429......

Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
borisb
Edge User

lol, that seems to be the pattern with every previous "pre-order" web site

No fear, the enTourage home page (www.entourageedge.com) now has a teaser indicating November 8 is the official release date.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:47 AM   #7
Fourbdneye
Edge User

For what it's worth, a search on Amazon for Entourage Pocket Edge brings up the red and black versions for $339.95 but, they sell through a retailer called Computer Brain.

Last edited by Fourbdneye; 11-03-2010 at 01:43 AM.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #8
sarah11918
Edge User

^ changes all the time, then! I searched yesterday morning and found nothing.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #9
Dr. T
Edge User

Does anyone have a sense of the number of EEs and Pocket EEs out there in the world? I'm just curious how many have been sold. It seems as though these constant changes in (un)availability could dampen the desire to get one, though the enthusiasm I see in this forum and elsewhere would argue otherwise.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #10
borisb
Edge User

No official numbers have ever been published tp my knowledge via the enTourage website, but we know somewhere between 11,000 and 14,000 or more Pocket eDGes were sold by HSN since they put it on sale (as shown on the HSN "Number of Units Sold" ticker).

The Pocket eDGe officially goes on sale this month, with the enTourage website indicating a Nov 8 launch date. The HSN listing was effectively a pre-sale, and the Amazon, J&R, and other sites being pre-orders, which is why availability seems spotty (i.e., it's not actually available yet , other than via HSN).

Old 11-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #11
dontpanic
Edge User

I will admit that we are having some trouble keeping the cat in the bag. The retailers seem very enthusiastic about the Pocket eDGe, but none of them are supposed to sell or pre-sell it before the 8th except HSN. Home Shopping Network is working out great for getting the word out about our new product and reaching a broader customer base. This is why we gave them a brief period of pre-launch exclusivity.

TC

Old 11-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #12
sarah11918
Edge User

dontpanic, I watched the full 39 min. clip from HSN and I must say it seemed wildly successful! (Both the presentation and the sales counter.)

I hope I'm not going to have to start putting "I don't work for entourage" in my signature, but I think there are going to be thousands of very happy pocket edge owners, provided that they find their way to these forums to get their questions answered and to the alternate app marketplaces to get at least most of the apps they really need. After using my edge as my only computer for weeks, I can see how someone with relatively basic computing needs really could do just about everything on that machine... and carry it around in a purse or "man bag." And if the typical crowd is coming from a Windows laptop or netbook, maybe they won't notice it's a tad slower/chunkier than most Apple devices. (Just keepin' it real.)

I know there's a link to the pocket edge user guide posted (I'm sure by boris!) which I haven't yet checked out, but I really hope there's a link to these forums in there. I don't know if entourage could have predicted how successful this message board would be, but if it were me, I'd be putting an insert in the closed device upon shipping with this URL in big letters. My fear is that a large portion of the HSN crowd might not be as technical as those of us who stalked the device on tech sites from its pre-order days, and heck, even some of us need to ask each other questions from time to time. (OK, me more often than I care to admit.)

I hope the new buyers find themselves here so they can get the most out of their experience. It's great that the products are making their way into a more mainstream audience, and if this community can help with the inevitable increase in routine customer questions then entourage can keep focused on developing some of those features we've been waiting for, right?

Old 11-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #13
borisb
Edge User

Well said. I'm actually crafting a welcome basket for the onslaught of new PE users

Old 11-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #14
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
I hope the new buyers find themselves here so they can get the most out of their experience. It's great that the products are making their way into a more mainstream audience, and if this community can help with the inevitable increase in routine customer questions then entourage can keep focused on developing some of those features we've been waiting for, right?
Can you leave feedback on HSN, like Amazon, leaving the forum url?

Old 11-03-2010, 09:20 PM   #15
alefor
Edge User

While I certainly hope the HSN sales claim of 11-14,000 Pocket eDGe's is correct (a bigger customer base is great for all of us) I am highly suspicious of their claim. It is in their best interest to falsely elevate their sales numbers and without further verification, their claim of 14,000 is the same as them selling 5 in my opinion. That being said, I hope their numbers are real.