Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-27-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
jager31702
jager31702 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
all conversions work for first 10 pages only?!?!

Hi everyone. I'm new to the whole eReader and book converting world, however, I'm pretty tech-savvy overall.

I've had no trouble figuring out how to use Calibre to convert and load files. I'm running Calibre 0.7.45 and I use a Sony reader, so all my conversions have been to epub or pdf. After converting the files, I opened them on my computer and they are perfect. However, as soon as I load them to my reader, only the first 10 pages display. The rest are completely blank! This is for EVERY file I have converted, in every format. Always 10 pages of perfection, followed by nothing but blank pages afterward! I don't understand why I can view them on my PC fully but not on my reader. What am I doing wrong???

Last edited by jager31702; 02-27-2011 at 10:31 PM. Reason: adding info
jager31702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #2
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
10 pages each ebook on the same device - like preview each song for the first 30 seconds in iTunes? sounds to me the device might be displaying DRM books in preview mode. Are all your books DRM free before you convert them?
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jager31702 View Post
This is for EVERY file I have converted, in every format. Always 10 pages of perfection, followed by nothing but blank pages afterward! I don't understand why I can view them on my PC fully but not on my reader. What am I doing wrong???
What on your PC are you using to view the converted books?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:52 PM   #4
jager31702

For txt converted files, I open in notebook, for pdf I use acrobat, etc. Every file that can be opened easily on my PC displays properly and fully. Yet only 10 pages show up on the reader.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:56 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
For txt converted files, I open in notebook, for pdf I use acrobat, etc. Every file that can be opened easily on my PC displays properly and fully. Yet only 10 pages show up on the reader.
How about epub? Are you saying text files on your reader can only be viewed for the first 10 pages?
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 12:04 AM   #6
jager31702

Every single file I convert through Calibre only displays the first 10 pages on my reader. The full book opens on my computer, but none of them work on my reader past the first 10 pages. I thought it was a problem with my reader, but any files I load that did not need conversion work fine. It's just the files I convert that do not load past the first 10 pages.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:21 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Every single file I convert through Calibre only displays the first 10 pages on my reader. The full book opens on my computer, but none of them work on my reader past the first 10 pages. I thought it was a problem with my reader, but any files I load that did not need conversion work fine. It's just the files I convert that do not load past the first 10 pages.
I asked a simple questions
  • What on your PC are you using to view the converted books?
  • How about epub?
  • Are you saying text files on your reader can only be viewed for the first 10 pages?
I can see getting specific answers is not going to be easy.

Here is my summary of what I think you are saying.

I am using calibre 0.7.45 on Operating system (?) and my ereader is a Sony PRS-600. I recently acquired this reader and I am having problems reading books sent to my ereader via calibre after I have converted with calibre.

I have converted (?) books to ePub and I can view them using (?) on my PC but when I send them to my ereader I can only view the 1st 10 pages.

I have converted (?) books to PDF and I can view them using Adobe reader on my PC but when I send them to my ereader I can only view the 1st 10 pages.

I have converted (?) books to text and I can view them using notepad on my PC but when I send them to my ereader I can only view the 1st 10 pages.

Is the above assumption accurate?

Some questions

Exactly how are you sending the books to your ereader?
Exactly how are you opening them on your computer to view them?
What OS are you using?
The books you find that work, are you using calibre to load them on your device? If so how? If not how do you get the books to your device?

If these questions are too bothersome for you please PM me a link to a (non-pdf) book that does not work on your ereader and I will check the book out a little closer.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #8
jager31702

All of your statements are correct, save for being able to check the epub files on my PC. Those are the only ones I have not opened on my computer.

To answer your questions:

I use calibre to send the books to my reader. Right click the file in Calibre>send to device>send to main memory. There are never error messages. The file sends in its entirety (in terms of file size, and it shows the proper page count in my reader when I open the book), but all pages after the first 10 are blank. This happens for every converted file. Files that are already compatible with my Sony work perfectly when sent through calibre.

To open them on my computer, I choose the selected book in Calibre, and click the link on the fight hand side under Path that says "click to open". The files automatically open in the program that's associated with the file type, and the converted books are always there in their entirety. Not just the portion that would be 10 pages in the reader. txt files, pdf files, and html (shown as zip in the program) all show the full content of the book. As stated before, I cannot check epub files with any programs I currently have on my pc.

I run Windows Vista.

The books that do work properly on my reader are also loaded with calibre. They just did not undergo the conversion process. The only books that load in their entirety are the ones I have that are already compatible and do not need to be converted.

Here is a link to one of my converted pdf books. Displays perfectly and in its entirety on my PC. But like all the rest, not on my reader. link deleted
Moderator Notice
Posting/Linking of copyrighted content is not allowed

Last edited by ldolse; 02-28-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
You can't post/link copyrighted content on Mobileread. That's why Dwanthy asked you to use PM.

PDF output support isn't Calibre's strongest feature, what you're seeing is most likely a bug in the pdf output routines.

I wouldn't recommend using pdf anyway. The Sony readers were really designed to best work with epub. Convert your files to epub, then send the epub to the Sony reader instead of PDF. If you want to view epub files on your PC then install Adobe Digital editions, or use Calibre's built in viewer, which is a native epub viewer (other formats get converted to an epub-lite format before being viewed in Calibre)
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #10
jager31702

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
I wouldn't recommend using pdf anyway. The Sony readers were really designed to best work with epub. Convert your files to epub, then send the epub to the Sony reader instead of PDF. If you want to view epub files on your PC then install Adobe Digital editions, or use Calibre's built in viewer, which is a native epub viewer (other formats get converted to an epub-lite format before being viewed in Calibre)
It doesn't matter what format I convert to. None of them display anything more than the first 10 pages.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:05 PM   #11
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
It seems highly unlikely that both epub and pdf would behave the same way. Can you go to preferences -> Advanced -> Plugins -> Device Interface Plugins -> Sony Device Interface - > Click 'customize plugin'

Have you made any changes to that dialog before? It should show epub, lrf, txt, rtf, and pdf checked there. Make sure epub is checked and at the top of the list. Make sure that the book you send has already been converted to epub, and make sure the epub looks fine using either Calibre's viewer - right click on the book, 'View -> view specific format' menu. Then send the book to the device, the method you used before should be fine.

If all that still doesn't work, You may want to consider hard re-setting your reader, it's possible something is screwed up in its firmware.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
please PM me a link to a (non-pdf) book that does not work on your ereader and I will check the book out a little closer.
You can't post/link copyrighted content on Mobileread. That's why Dwanthy asked you to use PM.
ldolse already explained about copyright and linking, but let me explain PM. PM stands for Private Message. To send one to me just click on my username to the left of or above this message and choose Send private message. Also do not link me to a PDF file. Link me a ePub that you see this problem with.

Quote:
It doesn't matter what format I convert to. None of them display anything more than the first 10 pages.
If you convert a book to a text file and send it to your reader you still have this problem? Does your ereader have a demo mode?
Old 02-28-2011, 10:33 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
By any chance did you tamper with the maximum size of the splits in EPUB conversion?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
By any chance did you tamper with the maximum size of the splits in EPUB conversion?
Interesting idea. In the prs-505 it would error, but maybe in the 600 it just fits what it can into memory? The only problem is he says this happens with any format not just ePubs.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:46 PM   #15
jager31702

Every single converted file does it regardless of file type. I did a hard reset on my reader once before, but I may give it another try. I went into the preferences as you suggested, but everything was fine. I never altered anything there before. I also just checked my epub files on calibre and they are showing up fine on my pc. Does it make a difference that I did a bulk convert of files instead of an individual convert for each file? If so, I will convert each individually and try that.