Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
undeliverable
undeliverable began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Can hacking the screen saver on the K3 get you black listed?

Hi all,

I just got my K3, and I wanted to change the screen saver images on it, but I see that the only way to do it is by 'jailbreaking' my K3. Will jailbreaking my K3 and changing the screen saver get my Kindle blacklisted? A couple of pretty pictures isn't worth bricking my Kindle over.

Thanks!
undeliverable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
no
welcome to the forums!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Hi I don't believe Amazon would blacklist your Kindle just for putting the screen-saver hack on - they do this for stolen Kindles.

However, just be careful to follow the instructions for adding the screen-saver hack precisely and do come here and ask if you're unsure. It's just that someone on another forum I visit did run into trouble with a screensaver hack - it got resolved eventually but I just want you to know that these hacks are not without some risk if they are not followed properly.

Last edited by TheKindleWorm; 01-05-2011 at 11:18 AM. Reason: typo
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It won't get your Kindle blacklisted, but it may invalidate your warranty. ie, if you have a fault with your Kindle, and you've modified the system software in any way, Amazon may decline to repair it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
undeliverable
undeliverable began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks!

Thanks all. Does the hack mix the stock screen saver images in with the new ones you add? Or is it a total replacement? I looked at the Screen Saver thread and the wiki and was not able to see this question answered directly. If its a total replacement, is it possible to retrieve the default images used and mix them in? There are a couple of them I kind of like, like the old Illuminated pages and some of the drawings of machines.
undeliverable is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
The hack will back up the original screensavers but the ones you place in the proper folder will be the ones displayed. You can mix some of the old ones if you want.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote