Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-04-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
austie333
austie333 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS650
Transferring files to Sony E-reader

HI folks,

Generally when I transfer a file across to my e-reader everything is fine, but sometimes there is something in the name I use that means that the file is not transferred properly. I have no idea yet why this is, but if anyone knows of any characters that should not be used in names, or why this is happening I would love to know. Also, this happens particularly with m3 files.

I would appreciate any helpful comments.

Austie
austie333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
I've noticed the same thing with some of my epubs. Although, I'm not sure why it happens. For example:

Book 1: Volume 1
...with look like this on the 650...

Book 1_Volume 1
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Never seen this.
How do you transfer your books ?
Calibre ? Sony Reader Library ? Copy to SD card ?
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
austie333
austie333 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Never seen this.
How do you transfer your books ?
Calibre ? Sony Reader Library ? Copy to SD card ?

First I use the Sony Reader Library. I am not aware of Calibre so if anyone would like to point me in that direction - much appreciated.

I think I have discovered what is causing this problem. MIT in the US has a free online Chinese course so I have downloaded the course material - PDF's and m3's. To better organise this material I have renamed the files so that I can organise them as I want and to make the names clearer, for example, files usually have been saved with abbreviated descriptions that don't always make sense when you see one file in amongst a sequence of others. This is where my problem is occurring - I think.

The way the e-reader works is it looks inside the doc, and reads the Title and the Author of the work - where it has been entered into the doc properties, and ignores the file name itself.

Hope this helps anyone having the same problem. It seems that when you are creating your own PDF's etc. that what you need to do is save the description you want in the doc properties - re Title, and Author.
austie333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:31 AM   #5
deadgloves
Enthusiast
deadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with others

Device: PRS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by austie333 View Post
First I use the Sony Reader Library. I am not aware of Calibre so if anyone would like to point me in that direction - much appreciated.

I think I have discovered what is causing this problem. MIT in the US has a free online Chinese course so I have downloaded the course material - PDF's and m3's. To better organise this material I have renamed the files so that I can organise them as I want and to make the names clearer, for example, files usually have been saved with abbreviated descriptions that don't always make sense when you see one file in amongst a sequence of others. This is where my problem is occurring - I think.

The way the e-reader works is it looks inside the doc, and reads the Title and the Author of the work - where it has been entered into the doc properties, and ignores the file name itself.

Hope this helps anyone having the same problem. It seems that when you are creating your own PDF's etc. that what you need to do is save the description you want in the doc properties - re Title, and Author.
Excellent Analysis.

Calibre is free and works very well with the Sony for syncing, organizing, and formating.
deadgloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert