Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Post 101 science fiction books to read?

So, I've over the last few years picked up books at random, mostly given to me as gifts. I've always had a thing for science fiction, but I don't really know what to read and what not to read..

I did quite some searching on the forums, and while I could find loads of recommended SF writers, it was hard to find out exactly what to pick up.

I'm pretty new to the SF field when it comes to books, so if you guys could give me some totally basic must read recommendations, I would love it..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes is one I recommend to everyone. It's science fiction but has wider appeal, great book and a short read unlike the fashion for epic tomes the genre currently seems obsessed with.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
I've loved "First Men In the Moon" by Jules verne since I was a child. I still read it about once a year or so.

I've been an Edgar Rice Burroughs fan since I was a lad too, besides his noted Tarzan series he did many others about Mars, Venus, Lost continents, the inner world to name a few. Hist books are pretty much all the same so if you've read one you get the plot for most of the others.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
My favoritest short story if you can find it: "All You Zombies" by Robert A. Heinlein, a quick read and never a more bizarre story to be read!
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
Bossman
Bossman doesn't litterBossman doesn't litter

Device: Prs505
Check out

http://home.austarnet.com.au/petersy...oks_rank1.html
Bossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
I don't believe it !!!

I've read well over 50% of the books on that list, including 9 of the top 10 - but not the number 1

(Damned fine list, though)

Last edited by mediax; 01-05-2010 at 04:06 PM. Reason: sins of omission
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
Katosen
Nerd Core
Katosen began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
One of my favorite science fiction authors is Isaac Asimov. I'd suggest the reading his novel 'I, Robot'. Its different from the movie, as its a collection of short stories about different robots in the life of Susan Calvin, a cold-hearted person who could only love robotics.

Then, move to the Robot Series, a trilogy of books following the murder mysteries of Elijah Baley in a distant future where robots are everywhere.

Then, continue onto the Foundation series with the original trilogy; Foundation, Foundation and Empire, and Second Foundation. Hari Seldon uses his skill of psychohistory (a mathematical way of predicting the future) to predict the fall of knowledge for 1000 years. He sets up a planet called 'Foundation' to shorten this period and this series of books is their trials in tribulations until that time.

I might also recommend the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series; a silly and bizarre british comedy series that has spanned television, radio, and the movie screen (read the books first, though lol)

And last, I recommend the Vorkosigan Series of books. I've just started on the first book 'Warrior's Apprentice' and its enticing

I'm sure there are plenty of other science fictions that are good, such as the Dune series (I haven't gotten the chance to read yet...) or anything by Jules Verne.
Katosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
Bossman
Bossman doesn't litterBossman doesn't litter

Device: Prs505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediax View Post
I don't believe it !!!

I've read well over 50% of the books on that list, including 9 of the top 10 - but not the number 1

(Damned fine list, though)
I really enjoyed Enders game. you should give it a try
Bossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #9
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick has always been one of my favorite SF novels. If you would like to check out the lighter side of the genre then I would try Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series or Poul Anderson's Hokas!Hokas!Hokas! and the sequal Hokas Pokas. (the latter is available on Baen's web site.)
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #10
AintLDS
No soliciting
AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage and iPhone 8 Plus
There's all kinds of sub-genres within the science fiction framework (hard sf, military sf, alternate history, cyberpunk, etc.). If you haven't done a lot of SF reading, I'd recommend the more fun reads to get started.

Military SF was always a favorite of mine and has a high fun-factor. The best are Ender's Game (Card), Old Man's War (Scalzi), The Forever War (Haldeman), and Starship Troopers (Heinlein).

Other recommendations are Niven & Pournelle's Lucifer's Hammer, The Mote In God's Eye, and Inferno. Also Fredrick Pohl's Gateway.

There's lots of great stuff in the Top 100 SF list already posted but many are deep reads (Stephenson, Wolfe). Some are dated but hold up quite well for what they are with some real gems scattered about (Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke, Bester, Wells).

I say try a few authors and then use Literature-Map to find others from the ones you like. There's a lot of gold to mine in the SF genre.
AintLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
Badandy
Connoisseur
Badandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by weateallthepies View Post
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes is one I recommend to everyone. It's science fiction but has wider appeal, great book and a short read unlike the fashion for epic tomes the genre currently seems obsessed with.
I don't see it on the Kindle store. Is there an ebook version available that I could convert or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
I've loved "First Men In the Moon" by Jules verne since I was a child. I still read it about once a year or so.
Just searched Kindle Store and it says it's H.G. Wells. I'd like to read it very much if that is the correct version and you made a small typo. If not, is there availability for the Jules Verne reason?

Contribution to this thread:

I second the Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov. Three of my all-time favorites.

I'd also recommend Dune by Frank Herbert. I just finished reading it and I enjoyed it a lot. It gets off to a slow start but it really grew on me.
Badandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:11 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badandy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
Just searched Kindle Store and it says it's H.G. Wells. I'd like to read it very much if that is the correct version and you made a small typo. If not, is there availability for the Jules Verne reason?
If he has the author right then he may mean From the Earth to the Moon by Jules Verne often combined with All Round the Moon by Jules Verne in one volume, available here at MobileRead.

I too would like to know to which book he is referring.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-06-2010 at 02:19 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:32 AM   #13
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badandy View Post
I don't see it on the Kindle store. Is there an ebook version available that I could convert or something?
Actually I have no idea now you ask. I've only ever read it in paperback, I used to buy multiple copies and give them out to friends.

I've got an audiobook of it but I've never looked for an ebook version.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:39 AM   #14
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
Now that was something... I'll start right away with Ender's Game, as soon as I've finished The Stand.. (And Twilight.... My GF pushed me to it) Thanks a lot!
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:02 AM   #15
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Now that was something... I'll start right away with Ender's Game, as soon as I've finished The Stand.. (And Twilight.... My GF pushed me to it) Thanks a lot!
I'm not sure why Ender's Game is rated so highly. I enjoyed it but it's far from the must read that it gets pegged as, well IMO anyway. Have to say that Mr Cards politics/beliefs/insanity put me off his work a little more now which is odd as I don't usually care.