Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Rooting, a better explanation

A lot of people here are not understanding the difference between rooting their Kindle and sideloading apps to it, so I'd like to make things a little clearer.

First, you need to know how the device is setup. Like computers, the Android OS is divided into folders that are hidden. Only leaving you with access to your external and internal SD cards. Comparing it to Windows, this would be the same as hiding your C:\ drive and only giving you access to your documents, music, videos, desktop, CD/DVD, and external drives.

However, like in Windows, Android apps still have access to that "drive" but only part of it. Windows applications are pushed to the Program Files folder and Android apps are pushed to the Data folder. The only part that can be written to by apps when you're not rooted OR have administration rights.

Being rooted means you have administration rights. It means that you can go into any folder, add things, move things, and delete things. In the Kindle's case, this would allow you to remove any bloatware like comiXology, IMDB, Facebook, and Quickoffice that are in the /system/app/ folders. And because Google Apps require framework to work, you have to install it as a system app.

You can sideload most apps by just sticking it in your SD card and using something like ES Explorer to install it. However, this is limited by the Google framework some apps require for billing processing upgrades and currency. Hence sometimes they don't work. Like every other app, they all go to the Data folder.

Do NOT root your device unless you find a specific app that tells you you NEED to be rooted. For the most part, those will be apps like keyboards, system tweaks, and things most of us don't need on stock anyway. There's always alternatives to everything, so just look around.

Here is a list of app markets that work with the Kindle Fire. You do not need anything special to use them, and you can even just use the Silk Browser for those that don't have their own APK storefront.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...69&postcount=8
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Solid clarification. Good little write-up.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
TechnoCat
Zealot
TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Do NOT root your device unless you find a specific app that tells you you NEED to be rooted. For the most part, those will be apps like keyboards, system tweaks, and things most of us don't need on stock anyway. There's always alternatives to everything, so just look around.
Or you want to look around... as long as you use an app like ChainSDD's SuperUser to control su (root) access, you aren't really increasing your risk.

Or unless you want to poke in and tweak it yourself. Or you want to edit a game save file to "cheat".

Most people won't benefit at all from rooting, but it's not as if rooting it opens it up for automatic destruction.
TechnoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
maximus83
Nameless Being

I tried rooting mine, then rolled back to the factory version. Rooting was just ok for me, didn't add a lot of great new functionality or anything. Btw, the process of going back to the factory Kindle took some effort, it was NOT as easy as just pushing the "Reset" in Devices settings. Here's how I did it:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=176580

I can easily do everything I need to do by just running apps made for the Fire or sideloading. And that way, it's still covered under the warranty!
Old 05-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"I tried rooting mine, then rolled back to the factory version. Rooting was just ok for me, didn't add a lot of great new functionality or anything.

I can easily do everything I need to do by just running apps made for the Fire or sideloading. And that way, it's still covered under the warranty!"
My sentiments exactly Sir!
I am running 84 Native android apps all Sideloaded via USB.
The beauty of the 7 inch form factor is that nearly all apps,games & utilities made for the high end android phones will scale up perfectly on the Fire
So I have no need for a "Tablet" or "Kindle fire version" of anything.

I keep hearing that rooting will "open up so much more access" for your device yet I have yet to see what all this new "access" is doing for people in general.

For me GoLauncher Ex with themes &Rotating wallpaper has made the ugly,giant Amazon carousel motif a distant memory for me.

My device interface looks as good as any android tablet.
The last firmware update they sneaked in on me, did not cause a single issue for me.

My third party "moboplayer" plays many native video formats and is much better than playing my side loaded video in Stock the "gallery"app that would required converting to Mpeg4 beforehand.

My third party book readers Aldiko& Cool reader enable me to read both .mobi& epub making the actual kindle reader app Moot.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
I tried rooting mine, then rolled back to the factory version. Rooting was just ok for me, didn't add a lot of great new functionality or anything. Btw, the process of going back to the factory Kindle took some effort, it was NOT as easy as just pushing the "Reset" in Devices settings. Here's how I did it:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=176580

I can easily do everything I need to do by just running apps made for the Fire or sideloading. And that way, it's still covered under the warranty!
Same here.
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:13 AM   #7
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
For non US fire owners rooting is probably much more useful, because we are restricted in many ways by Amazon in using the Fire. And Hackers keyboard alone is a reason for me to root. Second is syncing my GoogleCal.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote