Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #1
momen
momen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Budget tablet to read scanned PDF

Hi guys,

I am looking for a tablet solely to read books (epub, mobi, PDF).

I used to have a Coby Kyros MID-9742, which was dirt cheap ($100)

http://www.amazon.com/Coby-Kyros-9-7.../dp/B0075W8TEA

It was horribly slow, and crashed after loading a webpage using the stock web browser (so I switched to Opera Mini) but I still managed to use it for reading PDF files (even though it might take 1-30 seconds, depending on how long I read the previous page, to load the next page). However, the table is finally broken two days ago after 8 months serving its purpose.

So I am looking for a new tablet and I raise my budget this time to $100 - $200. Since I read PDF, I think I prefer the screen size of the iPad ~10 inches, 4:3 ratio. What would be the best option for me?

I did a quick search on Amazon and there seemed to be many cheap tablets with decent specs, such as:

http://www.amazon.com/Le-Pan-II-Andr.../dp/B0067XX3AI

http://www.amazon.com/A97-Resolution.../dp/B00GYLC9ZI

http://www.amazon.com/TUVVA-Elementa.../dp/B00DW4LIBQ

I'm not sure if these tablets are sturdy or reliable? I am also considering to buy an used iPad 2. What would be your suggestion?
momen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
To be honest, those Chinese tabs are pretty bad. I've got a couple of retina display 9.7" Android tablets and they're major crash and lag fests.

Hmm, is it possible to increase your budget by another $100? There's a sale on the Apple certified refurb store right now and the iPad 4 16GB Wi-Fi is $299. The iPad 2 16GB Wi-Fi is $249. For your target usage, the retina display really helps quite a lot.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
I will not recommend the tablets in your link.

If you are choosing an Android Tablet, I suggest you to choose a Tablet with 2 GB Ram.
You can also consider Nook HD +. Root it and install cyanogenmod.
(I got it for 100 USD only )

I have fair experience with Chinese gadgets. Few recommended Tablet brands are - Pipo, Ramos, Cube, iFive and Ainol. Keep in mind that you may not receive any firmware updates at all. Choose a Tablet from these brands which is supported by community (i.e. you can root and install a custom firmware)

Apart from these, there are premium chinese brands such as Xiaomi, Oppo, Meizu and Vivo but these brands haven't launched a Tablet yet. Xiaomi has launched one but it is an 8 inch Tablet

Last edited by Feher; 06-10-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:12 PM   #4
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW,KOBO H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by momen View Post
Hi guys,

I used to have a Coby Kyros MID-9742, which was dirt cheap ($100)

http://www.amazon.com/Coby-Kyros-9-7.../dp/B0075W8TEA

It was horribly slow, and crashed after loading a webpage using the stock web browser (so I switched to Opera Mini) but I still managed to use it for reading PDF files (even though it might take 1-30 seconds, depending on how long I read the previous page, to load the next page). However, the table is finally broken two days ago after 8 months serving its purpose.

So I am looking for a new tablet and I raise my budget this time to $100 - $200. Since I read PDF, I think I prefer the screen size of the iPad ~10 inches, 4:3 ratio. What would be the best option for me?

I did a quick search on Amazon and there seemed to be many cheap tablets with decent specs, such as:

http://www.amazon.com/Le-Pan-II-Andr.../dp/B0067XX3AI

http://www.amazon.com/A97-Resolution.../dp/B00GYLC9ZI

http://www.amazon.com/TUVVA-Elementa.../dp/B00DW4LIBQ

I'm not sure if these tablets are sturdy or reliable? I am also considering to buy an used iPad 2. What would be your suggestion?
buy an used TF101 or TF201
Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
To be honest, those Chinese tabs are pretty bad. I've got a couple of retina display 9.7" Android tablets and they're major crash and lag fests.

Hmm, is it possible to increase your budget by another $100? There's a sale on the Apple certified refurb store right now and the iPad 4 16GB Wi-Fi is $299. The iPad 2 16GB Wi-Fi is $249. For your target usage, the retina display really helps quite a lot.
I agree with this recommendation. I frequently read vintage comics, magazines, catalogs, etc. that have been scanned into PDF or cbz/cbr formats. The iPad makes a great viewer for that media. Not only from a hardware perspective, but from software as well. There is a terrific selection of high quality apps to choose from.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #6
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by momen View Post
Hi guys,

You can also buy iPad 1.

I read a lot of scanned pdfs on both iPad 1 and iPad 4, with GreatShield Ultra Anti-Glare (Matte) screen protectors thereon.

Some of the great free iOS pdf and djvu apps that I've been using:

PerfectReader 2 lite (its low brightness level control is great for iPad 1)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/perf...436633759?mt=8
PDf-notes
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pdf-...391487223?mt=8
Foxit
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/foxi...507040546?mt=8
Adobe
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adob...469337564?mt=8

Pocketbook
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pock...805488884?mt=8
SoleDjvu (the best one for iPad 1)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sole...502292719?mt=8
tiReader lite
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tire...688254749?mt=8

For epubs it's Marvin and for mobi it's Kindle app.

In the meantime you can use k2pdfopt app to optimize pdf for your tablet screen size and resolution simultaneously cropping the margins (for Portraite or Landscape view), so that your tablet runs problematic pdf a lot faster.

If there is complex pdf compression involved (asks for powerful processor) then you should use bitmap mode instead of native one (native mode will preserve original compression).

Pdf optimized for bitmap mode will grow in size but will usually be a lot quicker to flip through on underpowered ereaders or tablets.

http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/

Last edited by markom; 06-10-2014 at 08:22 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #7
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
Besides of Ipad 2/4 you can also look at Nook HD+ 9" http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook...ble/1110060512
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #8
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Welcome to the forum.

Get a used iPad. You get what you paid for. Better hardware and lot of applications.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
Besides of Ipad 2/4 you can also look at Nook HD+ 9" http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook...ble/1110060512
I agree with the recommendation of the 9" Nook HD+, which remains the least expensive, large-screen HD android tablet, particularly if you buy a used or refurb. For example, here are the current offers for the HD+ 32GB in the Amazon marketplace: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=all

Of the current offers, Ocean Reef Electronics would be my choice. Their price is great ($99 + $12.49 shipping) and they're a reputable seller that I've done business with several times. For the price difference, I definitely recommend the 32GB over the 16GB.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:42 AM   #10
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
buy an used TF101 or TF201
I agree. I have a TF101 and it's perfect in size and performance for pdf files.
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #11
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
I've had both the Le Pan II (your first link) and the Nook HD+. Both are good tablets. I wouldn't get a used Android tablet these days. New and refurbished ones aren't much more expensive. I quickly installed CM 11 on my Nook and couldn't be happier. The only thing the HD+ is lacking is a camera. I can't speak to the default software because it was only on there a week.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #12
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
I've had an iPad Mini (non-Retina) for about 6 months. Currently on sale at Target for $200, which is the very top of your price range. I use iBooks for PDF's and Marvin for EPUB's and am 100% satisfied!

And ... it can do MANY things in addition to reading books!
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:14 PM   #13
faredoon
faredoon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
I've had an iPad Mini (non-Retina) for about 6 months. Currently on sale at Target for $200, which is the very top of your price range. I use iBooks for PDF's and Marvin for EPUB's and am 100% satisfied!

And ... it can do MANY things in addition to reading books!
Thanks for the suggestion. Is the iPad Mini without the Retina display easy on the eyes, with, for e.g., night reading?
faredoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:39 PM   #14
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by faredoon View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Is the iPad Mini without the Retina display easy on the eyes, with, for e.g., night reading?
In my opinion, the eReader software is just as important as the hardware.

Marvin is fully customizable: font type, font size, background color, margin width, line spacing, screen brightness, etc.

After adjusting all the settings Marvin offers, my iPad Mini is a great eReader that is easy on the eyes day and night, with very legible text. The iPad itself is very easy to adjust for a wide variety of lighting conditions.

However, Marvin currently supports only iOS (Apple) devices and EPUB book formats. Noticed that you have a Kindle. Marvin does not support MOBI or AZW/AZW3 Kindle book formats. I have not used the Kindle app for the iPad.

So ... Marvin + iPad Mini (non-retina) = very good eReader, but I really don't know about the iPad Mini running the Kindle app.
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #15
agua102
agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablet w8,android,ipad,prs1,boox92
Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post

If there is complex pdf compression involved (asks for powerful processor) then you should use bitmap mode instead of native one (native mode will preserve original compression).

Pdf optimized for bitmap mode will grow in size but will usually be a lot quicker to flip through on underpowered ereaders or tablets.

http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/

Can k2pdfopt make easier that very complex pdf files?. I have pdf very hard to render when I make a ocr , I dont know why. Thx
agua102 is offline   Reply With Quote