Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-17-2009, 10:42 PM   #121
pwarren
Connoisseur
pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Irex Iliad (Dead), EcoReader (Smashed screen), Kobo Touch
Finally had a go at getting my FBReader idea to work, but I'm stuck on some c/c++ incompatibility. xEPDmgr is c, FBReader is C++.

I've done:

Code:
extern "C" {
#include "xepdmgrclient.h"
}
which produces on compile:

Code:
ZLGtkViewWidget.cpp: In function `void doPaint(GtkWidget*, GdkEventExpose*, ZLGtkViewWidget*)':
ZLGtkViewWidget.cpp:114: error: invalid conversion from `int' to `sEpd*'
ZLGtkViewWidget.cpp:114: error:   initializing argument 1 of `int EpdRefreshAuto(sEpd*, int)'
ZLGtkViewWidget.cpp:121: error: invalid conversion from `int' to `sEpd*'
ZLGtkViewWidget.cpp:121: error:   initializing argument 1 of `int EpdCancel(sEpd*)'
ZLGtkViewWidget.cpp:122: error: invalid conversion from `int' to `sEpd*'
ZLGtkViewWidget.cpp:122: error:   initializing argument 1 of `int EpdRefreshAuto(sEpd*, int)'
ZLGtkViewWidget.cpp: At global scope:
ZLGtkViewWidget.cpp:320: warning: unused parameter 'track'
make[2]: *** [ZLGtkViewWidget.o] Error 1
Very similar errors are produced when trying to compile xepdmgrclient.c to an object file with g++.

I'm a bit out of my depth here with c/c++ compatibility, anyone got a quick fix?
pwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:48 AM   #122
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
I have some similiar situation when I tried to use xepdmgrclient in djview4. I included xepdmgrclient.h and xepdmgrclient.c in the source code.

Code:
[sbox-iLiad-oesdk: ~/djview4-4.5/src] > make
g++ -c -pipe -I.././src -I.. -pthread -I/usr/local/include -O2 -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DAUTOCONF -DNDEBUG -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_NO_DEBUG_STREAM -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/targets/iLiad-oesdk/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.5.2/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I/targets/iLiad-oesdk/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.5.2/include/QtCore -I/targets/iLiad-oesdk/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.5.2/include/QtNetwork -I/targets/iLiad-oesdk/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.5.2/include/QtGui -I/targets/iLiad-oesdk/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.5.2/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I. -I. -o djview.o djview.cpp
In file included from djview.cpp:58:
xepdmgrclient.c: In function `sEpd* EpdInit(char*)':
xepdmgrclient.c:43: error: invalid conversion from `void*' to `_sEpd*'
xepdmgrclient.c: In function `int EpdRefreshAuto(sEpd*, int)':
xepdmgrclient.c:98: error: invalid conversion from `const char*' to `char*'
xepdmgrclient.c:98: error:   initializing argument 2 of `int EpdLocalSend(_sEpd*, char*)'
xepdmgrclient.c: In function `int EpdLocalSend(_sEpd*, char*)':
xepdmgrclient.c:126: error: invalid conversion from `void*' to `char*'
xepdmgrclient.c:133: error: invalid conversion from `void*' to `char*'
make: *** [djview.o] Error 1
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2009, 05:37 AM   #123
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

I think I found the solution. It's the type conversion error when calling malloc(). To solve it, add (char*) , (int*) or whatever the desired veriable type (depending on the type of parameter to be passed to sizeof()) before malloc().
Old 08-21-2009, 06:45 AM   #124
pwarren
Connoisseur
pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

that's done the trick! Almost working, now I've got FBReader turning the page in ~4s, but flashing again after another ~1s.

Getting closer!

edit:
Hrm, nothing I'm doing seems to get rid of the second flash, here's the code I'm using:
Code:
extern "C" {
#include "xepdmgrclient.c"
};

sEpd *Epd;

static void doPaint(GtkWidget*, GdkEventExpose*, ZLGtkViewWidget *data) {
  // Turn on the busy LED
  erIpcStartClient(ER_BUSYD_CHANNEL, &erbusyChannel);
  // Turn off xepdmgr auto updates
  EpdRefreshAuto(Epd,0);
  //Refresh the Display after everything has painted      
  data->doPaint();
  display = gdk_x11_display_get_xdisplay(gdk_display_get_default());
  XSync(display, 1);
  dmDisplay(dmCmdPriorUrgent, dmQFull);
  // Turn xepdmgr auto updates back on 
  EpdCancel(Epd);
  EpdRefreshAuto(Epd,1);
  //Turn off the busy LED
  busySetBusy(erbusyChannel, ccBusyState_Off);
}
Adding another EpdCancle(Epd); after the EpdRefreshAuto() call doesn't seem to help

Last edited by pwarren; 08-21-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:59 AM   #125
ericshliao
Guru

I see some problem in your code:
1. It's not necessary to call erIpcStartClient() everytime doPaint() is called. Just put erIpcStartClient() in main() should be enough.
2. I guess the flickering problem does not occur during excuting doPaint(). It should occur after doPaint() is finished, so it is useless to call xepdmgrclient api there. Maybe you should try putting those function calls in individual function in FBReaderActions.cpp, such as void ScrollingAction::run().
Advert
Old 08-21-2009, 08:23 PM   #126
ericshliao
Guru

Just found something interesting.
In djview4 with xepdmgr, when I flipped the page, there was always a redundant screen refreshment even after the page was properly displayed. That is, to display a page, the screen refreshes two times in a second, even though the first refreshment already does pretty well.
I thought maybe I can eliminate the second refreshment by using xepdmgrclient as Antartica instructed here:https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=47.
After I incorporated xepdmgrclient into djview4, the flckering effect did vanish, and left a side effect of slight ghosting. Without xepdmgrclient, there was no ghosting effect.

Added:
Sorry. I gave the wrong info. I did a test with modified (using xepdmgrclinet) and unmodified (using purely xepdmgr) djview4. The result is:
The flickering problem only occurred in full-screen mode. And the ghost effect only occurred in window mode.
It seems that neither xepdmgr or xepdmgrclient have anything to do with the ghost effect and flickering problem.

Last edited by ericshliao; 08-21-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:53 PM   #127
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Hi.

I've returned from vacations .

About compiling xepdmgrclient for C++, I see that you both have work-around'd it already, but the correct use would be to compile xepdmgrclient.c with gcc and put the correct 'extern "C" {...};' in the .h, and include that .h from the c++ code.

Just for completeness, I've modified slightly xepdmgrclient.h to include the extern "C" part, and compiled xepdmgrtest as a C++ app as an example. Attached is xepdmgr v1.9g (no other changes).

ericshliao: for the double-refresh, the code you have shown should have avoided it. Perhaps there is a bug in xepdmgr? About the ghosting effect: the more "full refreshes" with the same image displayed you do, less ghosting; the refreshes are "full" both in window mode and in full-screen mode?
Attached Files
File Type: gz xepdmgr-1.9g-iliad.tar.gz (76.1 KB, 391 views)
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:12 PM   #128
ericshliao
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica View Post
About the ghosting effect: the more "full refreshes" with the same image displayed you do, less ghosting; the refreshes are "full" both in window mode and in full-screen mode?
When I flipped a page in window mode, the refreshing is "partial", because the menubar was not changed and I can see that there was no refreshing on menubar. The part that got refreshed was the area displaying document and the page number part of djview4 toolbar. In full-screen mode, the whole screen got refreshed.

Last edited by ericshliao; 08-22-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:39 PM   #129
ericshliao
Guru

Well, the code of djview4 is quite complicated for me. Maybe I didn't disable and then enable auto-refresh at proper places. Still trying.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:22 AM   #130
ericshliao
Guru

I did a small experiement by only inserting "EpdRefreshAuto(Epd,0);" in several places and no "EpdRefreshAuto(Epd,1);" at all. Ideally, I expect it will disable all screen refreshment, but the result is quite strange: it made no difference whether inserting "EpdRefreshAuto(Epd,0);" or not.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:23 AM   #131
ericshliao
Guru

I wonder if this line in xepdmgrclinet.c is correct:
Code:
return(EpdLocalSend((_sEpd *)Epd,(Enabled!=0)?"Auto(1)\n":"Auto(0)\n"));
In xepdmgrtest.c, they are "auto0" and "auto1".
Old 08-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #132
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
I wonder if this line in xepdmgrclinet.c is correct:
Code:
In xepdmgrtest.c, they are "auto0" and "auto1".
Yes, it should be OK. The command line parameters for xepdmgrtest and the xepdmgrclient protocol with xepdmgr are independent (that is, I thought that it would be better to avoid parenthesis in the xepdmgrtest commands, so I mapped Auto(1) to auto1 and Auto(0) to auto0).

But what you say about not working EpdRefreshAuto(Epd,0) is worrying; as soon as I have time I will test if it really works... patience.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:32 PM   #133
ericshliao
Guru

One point that I forgot to mention:
It seems iRex SDK won't accept
Code:
The error msg is:
Code:
xepdmgrclient.c: In function `int EpdRefreshAuto(sEpd*, int)':
xepdmgrclient.c:101: error: invalid conversion from `const char*' to `char*'
xepdmgrclient.c:101: error:   initializing argument 2 of `int EpdLocalSend(_sEpd*, char*)'
So I modified xepdmgrclient.c with:
Code:
static char auto0[]="Auto(0)\n";
static char auto1[]="Auto(1)\n";
return(EpdLocalSend((_sEpd *)Epd,(Enabled!=0)?auto1:auto0));
Old 08-24-2009, 08:04 AM   #134
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
One point that I forgot to mention:
It seems iRex SDK won't accept
Code:
Thanks.

Well, it isn't iRex SDK what is complaining, but it is the C++ compiler trying to compile C code. C++ is a lot more nitpicking that C in regard to automatic casts.

Your workaround is OK, but it would be simpler to just declare the second argument of the declaration of EpdLocalSend as an "const char *".

I'll make the code c++-safe in the next release .
Old 09-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #135
pwarren
Connoisseur

I've come up with pretty much the same fixes as ericshliao.

If I were to compile FBReader that had only used EpdRefreshAuto(Epd,0) from xepdmgr, and ran it like: ./bin/xepdmgr :0 ./bin/FBReader

would I then expect that no screen refreshes would take place?

Because that's not what I see happening. Having EpdRefreshAutio(Epd,0) seems to make no difference to the refresh behaviour. I guess I could have introduced bugs in the code with my c++ compatibility changes. Here's my diff for xepdmgrclient.c:

Code:
pwarren@buildhost:~/fbreader-0.10.7-iliad/zlibrary/core/src/application$ diff -u /home/pwarren/iliad/xepdmgr-1.9-iliad/xepdmgrclient.c ./xepdmgrclient.c
--- /home/pwarren/iliad/xepdmgr-1.9-iliad/xepdmgrclient.c       2009-04-26 07:30:26.000000000 +1000
+++ ./xepdmgrclient.c   2009-08-31 12:30:13.000000000 +1000
@@ -40,7 +40,8 @@
 EpdInit(char *Display)
 {
         _sEpd *Epd;
-        if((Epd=malloc(sizeof(_sEpd)))==NULL)
+       Epd = (_sEpd *)malloc(sizeof(_sEpd));
+        if((Epd==NULL))
                 return(NULL); /* Insufficient memory */
         memset(Epd,0,sizeof(_sEpd));
         if((Epd->dpy=XOpenDisplay(Display))==NULL) {
@@ -95,7 +96,9 @@
 int
 EpdRefreshAuto(sEpd *Epd,int Enabled)
 {
-        return(EpdLocalSend((_sEpd *)Epd,(Enabled!=0)?"Auto(1)\n":"Auto(0)\n"));
+  char *on = "Auto(1)\n";
+  char *off = "Auto(0)\n";
+  return(EpdLocalSend((_sEpd *)Epd,(Enabled!=0)?on:off));
 }

/* Implementation of local functions */
@@ -123,14 +126,16 @@
                 cur_id=-1; /* incorrect format or atom not read */
         if(cmd==NULL || (cmd_next_id!=NULL && cur_id!=next_id)) {
                 /* server has already read this property; overwrite the property */
-                if((text=malloc(2+strlen(NewCmd)+1))==NULL)
+         text = (char *)malloc(2+strlen(NewCmd)+1);
+                if(text==NULL)
                         return(-1);
                 text[0]=(cmd_next_id!=NULL)?next_id+'0':'?';
                 text[1]='\n';
                 strcpy(text+2,NewCmd);
         } else {
-                /* Doesn't know if the server has read this yet; append to the property */
-                if((text=malloc(strlen(cmd)+strlen(NewCmd)+1))==NULL)
+               /* Doesn't know if the server has read this yet; append to the property */
+         text=(char *)malloc(strlen(cmd)+strlen(NewCmd)+1);
+         if(text==NULL)
                         return(-1);
                 strcpy(text,cmd);
                 strcat(text,NewCmd);
Any ideas?