Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
New Canadian Kindle Store @ Amazon.ca

Saw this banner message a few minutes ago on Amazon.com: "Great news! You can now shop for digital content at Amazon.ca in Canadian Dollars. Learn more about transferring to Amazon.ca"

I checked a few titles on Amazon.ca and the prices of bestsellers are a few dollars lower there than on Amazon.com. I like the Kindle Daily Deals on Amazon.com and wonder if I'll still have access to those? For anyone who switched to their local Amazon store, do you still have access to Amazon.com as well?
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I'm curious about whether our kindle email address transfers over if we switch to the .ca store. Has anyone switched over yet?
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 01:11 AM   #3
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Pretty cool, next step would be Paperwhite in Canada. Hopefully.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I thought I was pretty strange to announce the amazon.ca ebook store and NOT offer the PW for sale. I would have thought they would synchronize the two events, considering it is available at the UK amazon store.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Certainly for the other national Amazon stores, once they were fully up and running you could then only buy eBooks at the national store, and not an amazon.com. Doesn't make any difference to what books you can buy. It'll save you money because you'll be paying in your local currency, so no currency conversion fees on your credit card.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Certainly for the other national Amazon stores, once they were fully up and running you could then only buy eBooks at the national store, and not an amazon.com. Doesn't make any difference to what books you can buy. It'll save you money because you'll be paying in your local currency, so no currency conversion fees on your credit card.
I was afraid of that. Unfortunately I just bought a gift card which won't transfer over, so I'll have to find some books to buy before I'm switched over.

It appears that the publisher set prices in the Canadian store are all $2-3 less, but I never buy agency priced books and the discounted books that I used to buy won't be available to me.

Argggg, no more Whispersync for Voice companion audiobooks either.

Last edited by Synamon; 12-08-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
I get a lot of free kindle books via U.S. links in the "Deals, Freebies, and Resources" section of this forum. I'm wondering if the Canadian store will offer those books free as well?
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
I get a lot of free kindle books via U.S. links in the "Deals, Freebies, and Resources" section of this forum. I'm wondering if the Canadian store will offer those books free as well?
No reason to suppose not. Most of them are available at Amazon UK.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
It appears that the publisher set prices in the Canadian store are all $2-3 less, but I never buy agency priced books and the discounted books that I used to buy won't be available to me.
Why won't they be available to you? The national store doesn't change what will be available to you. You should see exactly the same selection of books that you, as a Canadian, currently see at amazon.com. Why do you think that you won't be able to buy discounted books any longer?
Old 12-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
Paulc15
Paulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Kindle DX , iPad 1, Kobo Vox
Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Saw this banner message a few minutes ago on Amazon.com: "Great news! You can now shop for digital content at Amazon.ca in Canadian Dollars. Learn more about transferring to Amazon.ca"

I checked a few titles on Amazon.ca and the prices of bestsellers are a few dollars lower there than on Amazon.com. I like the Kindle Daily Deals on Amazon.com and wonder if I'll still have access to those? For anyone who switched to their local Amazon store, do you still have access to Amazon.com as well?

Has anyone tried a purchase? Does amazon.ca charge the Canadian 15% sales tax like Kobo?
Paulc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
Synamon
Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why won't they be available to you? The national store doesn't change what will be available to you. You should see exactly the same selection of books that you, as a Canadian, currently see at amazon.com. Why do you think that you won't be able to buy discounted books any longer?
I'm referring to the Kindle Daily Deal and the monthly 100 books for less than $3.99. I don't see any similar deals in the Canadian store, maybe they will eventually show up.

For example, Promised Land by Robert B. Parker is one of the monthly deals, it's published by Rosetta Books and sold by Amazon Digital Services. The price is $2.99 at Amazon.com and $8.00 at Amazon.ca.

Last edited by Synamon; 12-08-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Amazon UK has its own "Daily Deal". I'm pretty sure one will show up at Amazon CA once it's properly up and running. Might be worth dropping a note to Kindle CS and asking them? I buy lots of books from our "daily deal" (bought a series of 8 books today from it, in fact); I agree that it's very useful indeed.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #13
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Prices must vary because the ones i checked were more expensive at the canadian site. Our dollar is very strong against the us dollar, so they should not cost more. And i'm sure they will charge the gst. So it doesn't seem worth it to me.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #14
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulc15 View Post
Has anyone tried a purchase? Does amazon.ca charge the Canadian 15% sales tax like Kobo?
It would have to charge whatever rate is applicable to your home province.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #15
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulc15 View Post
15%? I get charged 5% gst and no provincial sales tax. Oops, I see Shopaholic already addressed the tax issue. I wasn't aware some provinces tax e-books, I guess Saskatchewan doesn't.

Last edited by 49Kat; 12-08-2012 at 02:42 PM.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote