Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
diddy
Connoisseur
diddy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Does Sony follow the Adobe annotation standard?

Hi,
I was just wondering if the way Sony saves annotations is following what Adobe specified or if this is a home-grown solution.
I am trying to understand is if Sony annotations are compatible with annotations from other ereaders/apps that support the Adobe platform.

Reason: Maybe in the future somebody comes up with a website/cloud service which allows to upload your books and annotations from your Sony Reader app and similar other apps, so that you have everything together in one place.

Thanks,
Diddy

Last edited by diddy; 01-16-2012 at 02:54 PM.
diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:54 AM   #2
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
It's SONY's own standard. You can only view it in SONY's software or export it, with limitations, to an RTF file. You can't import from other sources.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 03:36 AM   #3
diddy
Connoisseur

Hm, not good. It would have been nice if Sony followed the Adobe standard as there is not ePub standard yet for annotations. Thanks for the clarification!
Old 01-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Yes, it really is a weak point. I used to use SONY's readers to read and annotate PDFs... I have since switched to an iPad, mainly because I want to be able to export and view annotations on other devices/computers.

The positive side is that you can export annotations to RTFs, but it's limited and clunky - if may work, if all you want is to export the occasional highlight, but not for anything more serious.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
diddy
Connoisseur

I really hope that the UK reader store goes live soon so that the annotations are sync'd across devices. I use highlights a lot for studying. The Kindle seems to have the lead in terms of sync'ing everything across devices.
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Yes, nothing works as well for syncing as my Kindles do - whether it's my K3 or my Fire or my iPhone. My older model 950 syncs great with the Sony Android app and the Reader for Mac software. Notes wirelessly sync across these devices. Sony has not enabled this functionality on the T1. By that I mean that they need to enable wireless syncing, wireless auto-delivery of periodicals and over-the-air firmware updates. I do not understand why the T1 does not have these features when they are available on the older 950. Maybe they meant to release this update sooner and they were distracted by the touch-screen bugs. One can hope anyway.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:06 AM   #7
diddy
Connoisseur

Yes, we can only hope. I think it is about time they get their service right. Here in the UK i.e. the Sony reader store should have gone live in October ... so far it hasn't happened. Their Mac app is buggy. The T1 is hardware wise a fine device, hasn't too many bugs so far. But there is not something like the Amazon Whispersync service ... They should have first focused on getting the service and software right and then released the T1 so that the user experience is good. I see reviews of many disappointed users here in the UK who bought the T1 in the believe that the reader store would be live and who had difficulties using the device. Anyhow, let's hope they fix this soon.