Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
AlienKarl
AlienKarl began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Noob Question - Where are my ebooks stored

Hi

This may be a stupid question and if it is please ignore it or point me to the answer as I have searched but can't find an answer. I have loaded my books onto the PE using usb drive and they are in the "library". I have also loaded the Kindle App and can read my Kindle books on the LCD side. (Note - I have used Calibre etc and can also view my Kindle books on the e-ink by storing them in "library"). So the books are stored twice on the device - once for the Kindle App and once for the "library" e-ink side. But - I have lots of books that are not DRM and I want to be able to read them on both e-ink and LCD. So I have them all working on the e-ink side but not on the LCD side. I downloaded CoolReader and tried to locate the "library" on the PE to read the books on the LCD. I can't find the "library" using Coolreader. So my question is do I have to store the books twice on the device in order to read them on both the e-ink side and the LCD (using Coolreader). It seems like a waste of storage to store the books twice - can't I use Coolreader to access the "library" folder??????? I understand why the books are stored twice using Kindle App (DRM issue etc) but for nondrm I should be able to only store the books in the "library" and access them using Coolreader for the LCD side. If I get this to work I would be able to use just Coolreader (get rid of the Kindle App) and only have the books stored once on the device. Any help or explanation is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
AlienKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
AlienKarl

Found the where the books are stored by connecting to PC. They are in .edge .esi-content. Is there anyway that coolreader can assess this folder? If not I guess I will copy all the books stored in .esi-content to the public folder and have the books stored twice on the device (seems like a waste of storage space) since coolreader seems to be able to access the public folder
Advert
Old 07-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
You can also store them on the SD card and coolreader will find them there - at least it does on my EE. Unfortunately that means you have them twice but by using the SD card you are not taking up internal space.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
AlienKarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
You can also store them on the SD card and coolreader will find them there - at least it does on my EE. Unfortunately that means you have them twice but by using the SD card you are not taking up internal space.
Thanks for answering. Yes I just bought a 4gig SD Card today so will store them there. I guess .esi-content folder must be some kind of system folder or whatever - I am not use to Android so I guess I am thinking in Windows mode and how I organize files there. At least the books are small in size so not that big of a deal. Thanks again for answering.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:16 PM   #5
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Also, you can store your books in download or public or any folder you choose and read them on the e-ink side using the Reader. Meaning you do not have to put the books in your Library at all, unless you want to do what only the Library allows, such as navigating from the table of contents (on the LCD side) or adding annotations of any kind.

For novels, I rarely add books to my Library unless I want to write in the margins or attach internet maps/Wikipedia pages to them.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 12:59 AM   #6
AlienKarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Also, you can store your books in download or public or any folder you choose and read them on the e-ink side using the Reader. Meaning you do not have to put the books in your Library at all, unless you want to do what only the Library allows, such as navigating from the table of contents (on the LCD side) or adding annotations of any kind.

For novels, I rarely add books to my Library unless I want to write in the margins or attach internet maps/Wikipedia pages to them.
Thanks for your response. It never occured to me to just store them in a folder for the e-ink side. I had watched the video on getting books on the device so I just followed that and added them to the library. Since I don't need to annotate etc for the novels I will try this. Again thanks for your response.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:29 AM   #7
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Hope it works well for you!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
userburt
userburt began at the beginning.

Device: entourage pocket edge
Thanks for the useful info in this thread! I downloaded Coolreader last night (emailed myself the .apk, something I learned here at MobileRead) and am very happy to be able to read some books on either side of the PE. Useful for comparing the experience or low light situations.

Last edited by userburt; 07-25-2011 at 08:06 PM.
userburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
T-virus
T-virus began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienKarl View Post
Hi

This may be a stupid question and if it is please ignore it or point me to the answer as I have searched but can't find an answer. I have loaded my books onto the PE using usb drive and they are in the "library". I have also loaded the Kindle App and can read my Kindle books on the LCD side. (Note - I have used Calibre etc and can also view my Kindle books on the e-ink by storing them in "library"). So the books are stored twice on the device - once for the Kindle App and once for the "library" e-ink side. But - I have lots of books that are not DRM and I want to be able to read them on both e-ink and LCD. So I have them all working on the e-ink side but not on the LCD side. I downloaded CoolReader and tried to locate the "library" on the PE to read the books on the LCD. I can't find the "library" using Coolreader. So my question is do I have to store the books twice on the device in order to read them on both the e-ink side and the LCD (using Coolreader). It seems like a waste of storage to store the books twice - can't I use Coolreader to access the "library" folder??????? I understand why the books are stored twice using Kindle App (DRM issue etc) but for nondrm I should be able to only store the books in the "library" and access them using Coolreader for the LCD side. If I get this to work I would be able to use just Coolreader (get rid of the Kindle App) and only have the books stored once on the device. Any help or explanation is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
Files added into your library is at .edge/.esi-content and it depend on which storage did you choose SD card or internal

P/S: I almost forgot, most program and file explorer will not list folder begin with "." so that's why you have problem

Last edited by T-virus; 07-26-2011 at 11:16 AM.
T-virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #10
AlienKarl

Thanks to everyone that answered - I don't think in Android - I am to windows centered - these answers have been helpful to get me thinking how it works different from windows.

I have one more noob question. In "Library" what files are associated to what folders. Clearly epub and pdf go into the "Book" folder - and I assume mp3 goes into "Music" folder - what I am wondering about is what file format goes into "Magazine" and "Newspaper" folders. I have a few magazines in pdf format but they load into the "Book" folder - which begged the question - what file format would go into the "Magazine" folder etc? Another question - does the user have any control as to what folder files load into? Thanks for any help - it is appreciated.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:48 AM   #11
T-virus
T-virus began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienKarl View Post
Thanks to everyone that answered - I don't think in Android - I am to windows centered - these answers have been helpful to get me thinking how it works different from windows.

I have one more noob question. In "Library" what files are associated to what folders. Clearly epub and pdf go into the "Book" folder - and I assume mp3 goes into "Music" folder - what I am wondering about is what file format goes into "Magazine" and "Newspaper" folders. I have a few magazines in pdf format but they load into the "Book" folder - which begged the question - what file format would go into the "Magazine" folder etc? Another question - does the user have any control as to what folder files load into? Thanks for any help - it is appreciated.
I think Magazine and Newspaper is for a store which never opened
Anyway, we can't be sure and user can also change from book to magazine and newspaper any time.

I don't think user can control which folder to store library unless you can reprogram the OS. By the way, I found that astro is more or less the only file manager can list folder(s) beginning with "."
T-virus is offline   Reply With Quote