Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Has your Kindle cord disintegrated?
Yes, mine fell apart under warranty 10 14.71%
Yes, mine fell apart out of warranty 9 13.24%
No, I am within the warranty period 37 54.41%
No, I am out of the warranty period 12 17.65%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Anyone here found that their USB cord is falling apart?

Amazon has three pages of people posting how their USB cords disintegrated and it appears as though this is so common that there is even a default section on the web warranty help page.

I was wondering what people here are seeing. It looks as though this has been a regular problem from Feb. though now.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Mine is about 18 months old and is in great shape.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It's been a known issue for a long time now (going back to the K2) and posted about quite a bit. Amazon was happy to replace the one for my K2 just a few months back even though it was long out of warranty.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:40 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Mine's over two years old and still looking spry and flexible.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
Kelly.Singh
Kelly.Singh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Dx
Mine fell apart after some 10 months..I guess "moisture,humid conditions" are an important factor in this...
Kelly.Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Mine's fine. But, then again, I've got USB cables from years ago that STILL work the way they did when I purchased them. It's all about how well you take care of them.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #7
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
It's all about how well you take care of them.
Not really. With these there have been a number of them falling apart while still in the box. There is apparently a big problem with the cord material.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
I have a cord that I received in June 2010 and another one in August. Both are still in good condition.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Hmm, I'm not sure what 'falling apart' means. The cord itself looks good as new; but I find that I often have to wiggle the USB end when plugging it in to ensure the connection is made.

I haven't requested a replacement because so far it's always worked, but I'm wondering whether I should...
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:41 PM   #10
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
The one that came with my K2 started shedding insulation after two or three months. I had a spare laying around, so I just started using that.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I got my Kindle in March of this year and have noticed no problems with the cord falling apart. Sometimes it takes a minute or two for my computer to register that the Kindle is plugged into it, but it always does in the end.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:16 AM   #12
Jack's Liver
Funk Master General
Jack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3 / CRUZ T103 BRICKED / Sony PRS-300 Gifted to a :) kid / N7
Got mine in the second wave of preorders and its fine ..... but it tastes funny
not kidding ..... try it
Jack's Liver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:02 AM   #13
bminata
Connoisseur
bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KPW, KFHD, K3, K2, iPad
Mine too. One day it just disintegrated. Must be the material they're using since I never had this problem with other USB cables. Luckily I got lots of micro USB cables from other devices. None as long as Amazon's though.
bminata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:11 AM   #14
Refom1
Member Retired
Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Kindle 2, Android tablet
Mine is almost a year old and is still perfect. It just depends if you take care of it or not I guess.
Refom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #15
chas0039
Sceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue7M3 View Post
Mine is almost a year old and is still perfect. It just depends if you take care of it or not I guess.
This is not a problem with taking care of the cord. As mentioned above, this is defective material. Cords are disintegrating that were never used.