Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 09-21-2007, 06:29 AM   #1
aapezzuto
Zealot
aapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enough

Device: none
formatting?

My wife has had her REB1100 for several years now and has gotten 12,000-18,000 hours out of it. In that time we have collected about 40% of our books in electronic form of some sort (html, txt, and rtf). We are about to get a V3, and I was wondering what the best way to format books for this device are? The things im most interested in are:
  • is there a way to make a functioning table of contents?
  • what is the best way to pre-process any images (2bit png? limited color palette?)
  • what formats will allow for change of fontsize?

The software that we use to convert to the rb format was an HTML to rb converter from sourceforge. I wrote a java text parser to break into chapters, and put all the right tags in place.

Also, once I have taken the time to convert these over, is there a way for me to make them available to others who already own the book without putting my self in harms way?
aapezzuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:31 AM   #2
aapezzuto
Zealot
aapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enough

also are there any plans to support the new ops format?
Advert
Old 09-21-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The OPS standard is generally referred to as .epub, although this filename extension formally only indicates a OCF container. The FB2 format is XML-based and may be your best bet out of the currently supported formats.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:52 AM   #4
RalphTrickey
Enthusiast
RalphTrickey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by aapezzuto View Post
Also, once I have taken the time to convert these over, is there a way for me to make them available to others who already own the book without putting my self in harms way?
From a legal standpoint in most countries the answer is 'No.' Canada and a few other countries seem to be exceptions.

There are a number of ways that you can minimize the chance of putting yourself in harms way, but these are generally the same methods used by pirates, and you open you up ot a world of hurt when caught.
RalphTrickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:59 PM   #5
aapezzuto
Zealot

Smile

ok, that answers some of my questions but I would like to redirect focus to the idea of having separate chapters that can be jumped to, and what i can do to the images to help them look nice and render quickly.

On the website the formats listed for the V3 are pdf,txt,doc,html,mp3,wol,images,custom

Is there a way for me to use one of those formats and still make use of the buttons at the bottom of the device to create a table of contents type menu?
Advert
Old 09-21-2007, 03:29 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FB2 is available now, see FB2 & DjVu is available for V3 update. This is probably from iBook, because FB2 is popular in Russia.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:22 PM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
It's Lbook, not iBook.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:20 PM   #8
aapezzuto
Zealot

FB2 seems to be a decent standard, what are its options for image inclusion. As far as i can tell fb2 includes no choice of format, it leaves that all up to something else. How do you specify size, page preference, orientation, etc...
Old 09-22-2007, 03:22 AM   #9
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
Quote:
Originally Posted by aapezzuto View Post

On the website the formats listed for the V3 are pdf,txt,doc,html,mp3,wol,images,custom

Is there a way for me to use one of those formats and still make use of the buttons at the bottom of the device to create a table of contents type menu?
You can easy convert all yor doc/rtf with pictures to a graphic *.wol files. So you get TOC in your books, fonts as used in rtf but the file size will be 10-30 mb per book.

You can try this software
http://letacla.h.googlepages.com/home2

(Use http://world.altavista.com/ for translation from Russian to English):

First, install lBookPrinter:
http://letacla.h.googlepages.com/lBookPrinter-1.5.2.zip

then download this program for mass-conversion doc/rtf to wolf:
http://letacla.h.googlepages.com/lBookMaker-1.2.1.zip
No need to install - simply unpack and use it...

It works for V8 and V3 models.
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:50 AM   #10
aapezzuto
Zealot

Smile

I guess in this thread I will completely drop any questions on image manipulation and focus on the important features at hand. I am looking for a solution that will allow me to take advantage of:
  • A table of contents
  • Font resizing
  • inline images

It would be nice if it was an xml based format, but as long as it is human readable or has a non-compiled format Ill be happy.

The fb2 format seems to have all these features, however its TOTAL lack of page formating suggestions (i cant say push small images to the left and wrap text around them) is a little troubling to me. The other problem I have run into with the fb2 format is that most of the documentation and programs that support it are in a language I can not read with any level of fluency. If there is someone out there who has a V3, and uses fb2 books, could you tell me how it is implemented on the V3, is there a style sheet of some sort, or is the shape of the page hard coded?

This takes me back to ePub... even once jinke releases a development kit for the V3, to get compliant with the standard would be a huge pain!

It is possible that I could develop a format for my own personal use, and then convert it out to something more standard, but this also seems troublesome. So im still looking for the elegant solution.

Thank you so much for your input so far.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:32 AM   #11
wallcraft
reader

Epub does sound like your best option, although reflowing text around an image on a 6" screen may be overkill. Sony has said they will support Adobe's Digital Editions, but have not given a time line or any other details (it isn't available for Linux yet anyway). Teleread has a post on the state of epub support: New IDPF format: Which software companies are aboard—and how .epub will help publishers. It may be a bit optimistic, but note the lack of e-ink device vendors (iRex is probably via MobiPocket). Also, MobiPocket may "support" .epub by converting it to .mobi and I think that rules out CSS support.