Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 08-15-2007, 06:29 AM   #16
|2eason
Connoisseur
|2eason is on a distinguished road

Device: Tatung Tablet
No pressure, take your time.
|2eason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:46 PM   #17
miyami
miyami began at the beginning.

Device: hanlin v8
My camera not good enough to make clear shot. Zoom in the picture may see clearer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1593
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	4889   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1412
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	4890   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	1690
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	4891   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	1607
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	4892  

Last edited by miyami; 08-15-2007 at 10:54 PM.
miyami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2007, 07:02 AM   #18
|2eason
Connoisseur

Thanks, much appreciated. So I take it that it has no zoom features to speak of? Other than rotating to landscape that is.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:57 AM   #19
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you tried reading any a4 pdf:s? Is it readable?
Thx for the pictures, I hope for more
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:08 AM   #20
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Looking at the pictures closely, I don't think this device is any better than the Sony at interpreting PDFs... unless as 2eason points out, there is a 'Zoom' function.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2007, 12:54 PM   #21
|2eason
Connoisseur

I suppose the only advantage this might have over the Sony (aside from the alleged Vizplex) would be if Jinke were very good with allowing 3rd party development. That might allow the firmware to leap ahead of the Sonys functionality, so long as plenty of developers got on board.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:52 AM   #22
zdevil
Enthusiast
zdevil began at the beginning.

Device: Sharp Zaurus SL-C3200, Hanlin V3
Does it support PDF and HTML natively?
How about touchscreen and wifi that are said to be "in development" previously?
I'm really excited about this device!
zdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:49 AM   #23
emkay
Zealot
emkay began at the beginning.

It's a nice looking unit - I prefer the design over the Sony.
I just looked at the website - 1 month operating time on one battery charge @ 300 pages per day! Wow! Iliad user turns green with envy...
I look forward to a version with a bigger screen and nice zooming functionality.
I find the Iliad annotation functions really useful for my academic stuff, but this could be a very nice reader-only unit...
emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:23 AM   #24
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
The pictures taken of the power supply manual look pretty nice. Do you have any manga PDF's you can throw on there to give us an idea of how well it renders those? Guess they didn't go for any DRM-type of formats, so you'll have to get your books in HTML, PDF, or text format (not that this is bad or anything, thought it might keep prospective publishers to their device away). It has a comparable price to the Sony too.

Thanks for the info & pics!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:07 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So you cannot purchase any books with DRM? That means for the average person, it's going to be almost useless if that's the case.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:10 PM   #26
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So you cannot purchase any books with DRM? That means for the average person, it's going to be almost useless if that's the case.
Did you mean 'without' ?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:12 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Did you mean 'without' ?
Without supporting some sort of DRM format that's got enough books for it, it won't work.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:57 PM   #28
zdevil
Enthusiast
zdevil began at the beginning.

Device: Sharp Zaurus SL-C3200, Hanlin V3
I've ordered a v3 and got a confirmation message saying it's been shipped. I will try to post some pics here to say a late "hello" as a newbie here.

At first i was considering buying a Cybook Gen3. But it seems to me that Hanlin v3 and Cybook Gen3 have almost the same hardware specs, except the former has more internal memory and is cheaper (USD 324 vs. USD 399), so I simply go for a v3.

The lack of touchscreen is not a concern for me. Speed and power consumption is one thing, and I am used to making quick notes on a simple small writing pad first and then organizing the information on my trusted Sharp Zaurus (now dualbooting a full OpenBSD 4.2 and a full X11 Linux distro called "pdaXrom") with its superb keyboard and touchscreen functionalities. I only expect the v3 to be a nice and large enough display for viewing my tons of digital documents.

Last edited by zdevil; 08-23-2007 at 10:02 PM.
zdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:34 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

As far as the V3 goes, if your digital documents are PDF, you can forget it big time. It just isn't suited for it unless it has zooming and panning. The screen is just way too small with not enough resolution to be able to display something meant for a full sheet of paper.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:56 AM   #30
LVD
Connoisseur
LVD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LVD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LVD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

When you make a choice in favour of Jinke V3, you should not forget, that there is a clone lBook V3. The main difference of these projects that for lBook V3 (V8) exist opened SDK and the software distinct from the Chinese. Practically any programmer of an average level can create the programs for lBook.

Unfortunately, this software is optimised for use in Russia, Ukraine, and other CIS countries. We have no partners in Europe to offer the devices in your market. We do not have sufficient experience for job in Europe.

The open software has allowed to make these devices mass in our market. We hope till the end of a year to sell about 20000 devices V8 and V3. The Retail price on V8 makes only 270-280 Usd. By the end of 2007 we hope to reduce the prices on V8 to 250-255 Usd and on V3 to 305-310 Usd in a base variant.
LVD is offline   Reply With Quote