Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Vox
Vox "forgets" bookmark?

I've had this recently: I'll shut it down and when I fire it back up, it will forget my recent bookmark and instead go to the one previously (ie. Chapter 17 as opposed to Chapter 23, where I left off). Anyone else had this? Haven't heard much from the beta group...
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
I've had this happen very rarely. I always assume I've accidentally closed the program too quick or something, which doesn't make any sense, but I rationalize it that way!
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
It happened to me one time last week
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Hey James (KoboJW) any thoughts?
Old 12-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Happened to me once, too. But...I think it's because I didn't close the book before I let my Vox sleep/turn off...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #6
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
According to the user guide:

Quote:
• Close this book

Close the book youʼre currently reading. The book will stay in your Library and in your account, but will no longer show up as one of your five books on the Home screen.

Your bookmarks will also be removed.
For that reason I've never actually "closed" a book. I just put the Kobo to sleep, or just put it down and let it go to sleep, or go to Home and then another app, or whatever.

Actually, I'm presently reading a library book using Overdrive and that's what I do. However, whenever I click the last book I was reading on the main screen, it always goes to the page where I left it in the Kobo reader.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:40 PM   #7
Marbles
Zealot
Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KoboTouch & Kobo Vox iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post

For that reason I've never actually "closed" a book. I just put the Kobo to sleep, or just put it down and let it go to sleep, or go to Home and then another app, or whatever.

Actually, I'm presently reading a library book using Overdrive and that's what I do. However, whenever I click the last book I was reading on the main screen, it always goes to the page where I left it in the Kobo reader.
Could you give a technological incompetent some instructions on reading library books on the Vox. I am gathering that you download overdrive onto the Vox but then how do you get the books onto the Vox. Thanks for your help
Marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:40 AM   #8
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbles View Post
Could you give a technological incompetent some instructions on reading library books on the Vox. I am gathering that you download overdrive onto the Vox but then how do you get the books onto the Vox. Thanks for your help
Go to the online library used by your local library (for me, it's the BC Online library - which sorta sucks, btw, in comparison to other Canadian online libraries...). You can borrow books, add them to your cart/library and then download them straight to your Vox. Have fun!!!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:17 AM   #9
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Closing a book is different then exiting the program. When you finish a book you go to your settings and hit "Close Book". This essentially tells Kobo app that you're finished with it. They remove your bookmark (because by this time you no longer need it since you have finished the book) but leave your annotations.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #10
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post
Closing a book is different then exiting the program. When you finish a book you go to your settings and hit "Close Book". This essentially tells Kobo app that you're finished with it. They remove your bookmark (because by this time you no longer need it since you have finished the book) but leave your annotations.
Yes, you put it better than I did. Perhaps the posters who lost bookmarks didn't actually hit "Close Book".

What I don't understand is how you exit a program. I don't see any [x] button to close any app, so I just go on to something else, but I don't see a load of windows open along the bottom of the screen like I do on my PC.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #11
cypherslock
Groupie

No I didn't "close" the book, I simply shut the Vox down.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #12
LauraPony
Zealot

Quote:
Yes, you put it better than I did. Perhaps the posters who lost bookmarks didn't actually hit "Close Book".

What I don't understand is how you exit a program. I don't see any [x] button to close any app, so I just go on to something else, but I don't see a load of windows open along the bottom of the screen like I do on my PC.
I just mean by hitting the "home" button or going to the library or something. I don't think that app really shuts down completely.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #13
oldyellr
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbles View Post
Good question. Here's from one newbie to another:

When I asked my librarian, she said I had to install Overdrive and get an Adobe I.D. She then showed me how she logged in and selected a book with her iPad. Having worked with computers for decades and seeing Overdrive mentioned on this forum, I thought it would be a breeze. I already had an Adobe I.D. (just your email and a password) because I'd been on Adobe Forums, but if you don't you just go to adobe.com and sign in. I don't even think it needs more than just your email, although there are a bunch of other items with a star. It's when I installed the Overdrive Media Console app on my Vox that I got lost, because all it was was an audio with a description. I eventually found that when I pressed the Menu button on the Vox there was an option to add a library. That's when it switches to your browser and you add your public library and log in with your library card number and PIN and find your book. The book downloads into Overdrive and that's where you read it.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #14
paulsparrow
paulsparrow began at the beginning.

Device: vox
Yes I continually have troubles when bookmarking my book and then turning on my Vox later to find no bookmark. Very frustrating. Happens more often then not. Probably could be an easy patch fix if Kobo addresses it.
paulsparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #15
paulsparrow
paulsparrow began at the beginning.

Device: vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsparrow View Post
Yes I continually have troubles when bookmarking my book and then turning on my Vox later to find no bookmark. Very frustrating. Happens more often then not. Probably could be an easy patch fix if Kobo addresses it.
Here is what I think the issue is. When ever I open my Library it syncs with my Kobo Desktop and downloads new books etc. What it doesn't do is sync my Vox to the Desktop.

So I have old books with bookmarks in my Desktop app that keeps syncing this to my Vox and removing my bookmarks on my newer bookmarks on my Vox.

So I guess what is needed is a one way Push from my Vox to the Kobo Desktop or my bookmark issue will never end.
paulsparrow is offline   Reply With Quote