Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #1
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
CF card or iLiad backups?

What do other folks like as a backup strategy for CF cards, either standalone or via the iLiad? I prefer not to use Windows, so something that will run on Linux (or can handle CF cards from OSX without corrupting the CF card) would be preferred.

If you're wondering why I need to backup what's on my iLiad, it's because I use it to take a lot of notes, both as annotations on PDFs and in standalone Notes files. That's why I have an iLiad, rather than something less expensive, after all.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
ig88
Gadget Guy
ig88 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad - iPhone - OSX
I use an SD card on my iLiad, and I have a card reader in the ExpressCard slot of my MacBook Pro.

I find it a lot more convenient to transfer items using the card reader in the ExpressCard slot (as it is always there and available, as if it was built in to begin with) than looking for an external reader and cable or using the clumsy iLiad adapter and cable evry time I want to transfer content

Anyways, whenever I am moving stuff onto my iLiad I make a backup of the SD card at teh same time.

Works very well for me.

I thought about making an Automator action or folder action to automate the process, but it just hasn't seemed worth it, since making a copy of the card manually doesn't require any real work (just an option-drag).

I suppose alternatively, you could use some backup software to copy only modifications, which would speed the backup process up...Carbon Copy Cloner is a donation-ware program that you could use.
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2007, 10:32 PM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, I'll check out Carbon Copy Cloner (once I reformat the CF card from the Mac so it doesn't keep getting corrupted, as per the other thread). Unfortunately, I have a PowerBook G4, so no ExpressCard Slot. I'm stuck with the "Travel Hub."
Old 10-07-2007, 10:53 PM   #4
ig88
Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Unfortunately, I have a PowerBook G4, so no ExpressCard Slot. I'm stuck with the "Travel Hub."
Just get the PC Card equivalent.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_2/...Ck%3Apc%20card
Old 10-08-2007, 11:33 AM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

The PowerBook G4 doesn't have a PC card slot, either.
Advert
Old 10-09-2007, 10:09 PM   #6
ig88
Gadget Guy

CardBus
Old 10-11-2007, 08:00 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The PowerBook G4 doesn't have a PC card slot, either.
Use a USB card reader - or are you going to say that a G4 doesn't have USB connectors?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:16 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There are many alternatives (some cheaper), but I have been very happy with the Sandisk Extreme USB 2.0 Reader. I use it under Windows, but SanDisk claims Mac compatibility.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:46 PM   #9
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Use a USB card reader - or are you going to say that a G4 doesn't have USB connectors?
Yes, I have one of those. The only reason I mentioned the lack of an ExpressCard or PC card slot is because ig88 mentioned that this is more convenient than having an external card reader and cable.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:22 PM   #10
ig88
Gadget Guy

And I still stand by it. The expansion slot is WAY more convenient, because it is always available, like it was originally built into the computer. Don't have to bring or get out an external drive and cable.

PCMCIA, PC Slot, CardBus are all names for the same friggin thing. Depending on which brand of Kool Aid you drink.

The PowerBook G4 has a Single Type I or Type II, CardBus compliant expansion slot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_Card
Old 10-16-2007, 09:03 AM   #11
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

ig88, I agree with you about the convenience. I'm still not seeing where this CardBus slot is on the PowerBook G4. I think I've pretty thoroughly searched the exterior of my unit. Is it buried behind the keyboard or something? (The WiFi card slot was there on the G3 model I used to have.) I don't think that would work too well for a CF adapter.

Oh, wait-- I have the 12" model. I bet that's the difference. Is it only on larger models?
Old 10-16-2007, 09:22 AM   #12
ig88
Gadget Guy

Quote:
Oh, wait-- I have the 12" model. I bet that's the difference. Is it only on larger models?
Yup. That would be why.

The 12" is the only Mac PowerBook that did not include an expansion card since the PowerBook 520 (May 1994). (And of course the "consumer" iBooks and MacBooks did not include them).
Old 10-16-2007, 09:25 AM   #13
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Ah. Well, nice to have that mystery solved.

It would be convenient to have a card slot, especially for CF cards, but I have an external reader that works, so no biggie.