Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-22-2007, 03:41 PM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Sony hasn't really said anything about DE and the current hardware yet -- there're a lot of unknowns there.

It depends an awful lot on how Adobe chooses to implement the mobile version of DE. If they do something with it that requires a particular hardware capability, then we may be up a creek: Remember, the non-mobile version of DE only came out a couple of months ago, while the Reader was launched last fall -- that obviously means that Sony's designers couldn't have taken into account any hardware peculiarities that the not yet finished mobile DE might require.

That being said, I think that Adobe would be awfully obnoxious if they didn't do their best to avoid unusual hardware requirements. And I think that Sony would be really dumb not to do their dead level best to implement mobile DE (whatever it ends up being) on the current hardware: I mean, if everyone has to buy a new device anyway, then they can buy whatever happens to be out, and there sure seem to be a lot of e-ink devices coming down the pike. I'm fairly optimistic that they'll manage it, but right now, everyone is waiting for Adobe to pull down the curtain and see what's behind it.

As for PDFs in mobile DE, it depends on how Adobe chooses to implement them. If they do what they're doing on the non-mobile DE, then A4 PDFs will be just as useless on a 6" screen as they are now. However, I'm hopeful that they'll do something different. I have an Adobe PDF reader app on my Palm that basically rips all the layout off the file and totally reflows it. The result can be a bit ... un-pretty, but all the simpler formatting such as bold and and alignment makes it through just fine. If they do something like that with mobile DE, then we'd be sitting pretty, wouldn't we?

Right now, the real answers (such as have already been decided) to all these questions (and more!) are in the sole possession of Adobe, and we're all waiting on them. Frustrating, but there you go. :shrug;
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote