Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Theory on why James Franco and Anne Hathaway were terrible Oscar hosts

I usually avoid the telecast, but this year I decided to catch the opening number and jokes. It's always good for chuckle. WOW, James Franco totally bombed as a host. They didn't write anything funny for either of them to say either. Was this because of the Golden Globes?

So, my BIG theory on why James and Anne had terrible chemistry and appeared to repel each other is that during the preparation for the show they were knocking boots...but had a big falling out when the relationship went south.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I think it's because neither are stage performers, let alone comedians, have no sense of timing and can't improvise

and I didn't even watch it!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #3
altworld
Evangelist
altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android G1
Bad writing, as the Oscars were trying to be too nice after Ricky Grevis tore up establishment at the Golden Globes. From what I read, the only highlight was Kirk Douglas being a throw back to old Hollywood and going off script to hit on Anne Hathaway.

These shows need to be hosted by experienced hosts, not actors who can forget there cues. Kind of makes you miss Billy Crystal.
Arigato,
Nick Davis
altworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
These two were totally flat - as was the writing. No jokes, no banter with audience members - except when they recognized their mothers in the audience. Franco apparently has no personality, and Hathaway needed better lines.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Watched the 1st 30 minutes. . .

Then went to Showtime to see a new episode of "Shameless". Fantastic show overall, even though Sunday's episode was a bit weak and had a surprising turn towards predictability, I thought.

After "Shameless", I went back to the Oscars and watched for another 30 minutes or so. I then gave up.

I think that it just proves that Franco is essentially a boring person. I mean, he dressed up like a woman and was still boring. Even Benny Hill was funny dressed like a woman. A guy in a dress is like a monkey smoking a cigar, it's really hard not to laugh. Just because you know how to act, it doesn't mean you have anything to contribute.

Anne Hathaway was somewhat less boring, I got the impression she at least understood she was bombing and tried to enfuse the show with some energy. And in the beginning, in the now mandatory skit where they insert the hosts into famous films, I thought she showed some charm in the "True Grit" segment.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Franco apparently has no personality, and Hathaway needed better lines.
Franco comes off quite well when being interviewed. Maybe he's not cut out for hosting and I do wish he had looked at Anne Hathaway at least once.

Last edited by BenG; 03-01-2011 at 11:39 PM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I think that it just proves that Franco is essentially a boring person. ... Just because you know how to act, it doesn't mean you have anything to contribute.
Maybe he should have approached it as a role in which he played a witty, energetic, engaging host.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Franco comes off quite well when being interviewed. Maybe he not cut out for hosting and I do wish he had looked at Anne Hathaway at least once.
I certainly looked at her more than once .... umm, I mean, well, she was there and I was watching so I had to .... you know ..... nevermind ....
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
I didn't watch the Oscars, but from the clips I've seen I suspect that Anne's unbridled enthusiasm and Franco's stoner apathy just don't mix well. Anne's energy would have been funnier juxtaposed to someone uptight or serious, someone who might have been embarrassed by Anne's exuberance, and Franco's apathetic persona would have been better juxtaposed to someone who believes that the Oscars is a serious and sacred event, someone who would get visibly upset at Franco's "whatever" mentality. You could have also gone over-the-top with Anne, partnering her with another effervescent personality.

I've also read that Franco might have been a little abstracted because of his course load at school. He is someone with an incredible work-ethic, and is currently a PHD student in English at Yale University while acting full-time. At one point he was acting full-time while attending three different Grad schools (Brooklyn college for fiction writing, New York University for filmmaking, and Warren Wilson College for poetry). And according to his Wikipedia entry, from 2006-2008 he was taking as many as 62 course credits a quarter at UCLA (the normal is 19) while acting full-time.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Or they are both just crap?

Please USA keep Gervais, he is so far up his own arse that it makes me gag, I cannot stand the fella.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #10
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Franco comes off quite well when being interviewed. Maybe he not cut out for hosting and I do wish he had looked at Anne Hathaway at least once.
I noticed that for the few mins I saw them today. I just saw a few here and there. they never looked at each!
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote